What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - Nicholas Baxter

Looking to buy a used 2011 honda civic. Hpi check is clear, but it has a gouge in the front bumper just over an inch ling and maybe 1/2 of inch deepe. It looks like it may have cut into the impact bar behing the bumper.

Is this a big issue or nothing to worry about. Electrics ane lights and radiator all seem fine. I am advised the car scraped a wall doing a 3 point turn...

Not sure if i can post a picture here?

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - sammy1

Bumpers are quite resilient but more a design feature than something living up to the name. What you describe is nothing to worry about and if as you say you have checked behind should be OK. The bumper is easy to fill and paint should you desire A DIY job

Thank you for your reply. I hace set my profile picture as the damage to which i refer if this helps?

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - badbusdriver

I hace set my profile picture as the damage to which i refer if this helps?

Not sure that helps, I can see no way to access that. If you have a YT account, you can take a video clip and post a link to it.

But, it is highly unlikely that there has been any damage to the important parts underneath the bumper cover.

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - barney100

Cheap fix, fill it in, stick GB sticker over it or any sticker you like.

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - bathtub tom

it has a gouge in the front bumper just over an inch ling and maybe 1/2 of inch deepe. It looks like it may have cut into the impact bar behing the bumper.

I'd get that checked first, if the impact bar behind the bumper's damaged, that could be structural.

Yes it looks like the metal has been cut into, as there is some rust too. I wonder if the current owner tried to.repair it on insurance whether is might have been given a category. And thats why they left it?

Thank you all for your comments.

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - edlithgow

Bumpers used to be for...like...bumping.

Dunno what they are for now.

Honda Civic - Advice please. Gouge in front bumper - Bolt

Bumpers used to be for...like...bumping.

Dunno what they are for now.

Used to be 5mph bumpers to absorb a 5mph bump max, now they`re just cosmetic covers with air diverters built in, some with spot lights, the impact bar is behind the cover and usually quite thick, not easy to damage with just a scrape, but on some cars do rust quick which weakens them but never really noticed until MOT time