What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - FP

I realise this topic has been done to death, but I am once again seething with indignation.

I thought legislation had been put in place to prevent existing customers from being penalised at renewal time.

My More Than insurance for which I paid £295 last year would cost £396 to renew this year. When I shop around I can renew with them for much the same as last time - but only if I have a gadget to plug into the car to verify my annual mileage. Very cunning. I'm not playing.

So I start the familiar merry-go-round with the comparison sites and find another provider for £319. As an aside, I check Direct Line and get a quote for £583 - baffling.

Now all I need to do is phone More Than and tell them to FO.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - KBB

I realise this topic has been done to death, but I am once again seething with indignation.

Not sure why.

I thought legislation had been put in place to prevent existing customers from being penalised at renewal time.

The legislation is aimed at ensuring that a renewing customer pays the same as a new customer would, all other factors being equal. It doesn't mean that the renewal won't be more than last year.

My More Than insurance for which I paid £295 last year would cost £396 to renew this year. When I shop around I can renew with them for much the same as last time - but only if I have a gadget to plug into the car to verify my annual mileage. Very cunning. I'm not playing.

How much were they WITHOUT the black box i.e. the same conditions as you have currently? If it was £396 then the legislation theoretically works, although it would be very difficult to prove as they obviously know it is you doing the comparison and can just match to your renewal price. I've tried doing comparisons using a made up name, similar address and similar DOB but that never works very well as they know it's not a real person!

So I start the familiar merry-go-round with the comparison sites and find another provider for £319. As an aside, I check Direct Line and get a quote for £583 - baffling.

Not sure what is "baffling" about a different insurer being more expensive. Every company will have their own risk profiles and type of customer / car / area that they price up or down depending on their view of the risk. I have also found DL to be consistently more expensive when I have looked as I obviously don't fit into their desired category.

Or you could ask them to match the £319 that you mention above, if the level of cover is identical.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - daveyjp

Just had my renewal, it has increased by about £50 from last year, but £20 discount for renewing now, so about £280 next year.

I have done a comparison and found about £80 cheaper through flow, which I found is part of LV. Looked tempting , but it excludes driving other vehicles cover, so not for me.

Tried LV and they were over £400. So I continue with GA.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - sammy1

I know of a few people including myself who have had their renewals but when you go on the comparison sites the same companies are quoting cheaper for what appears to be the same cover. Car insurance is another area that is long overdue an overall that benefits the consumer. It is a bit like the energy market in that you have no choice but to pay the asking price

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - Engineer Andy

The answer may be:

1. Your age may have crossed a certain 'threshold' for certain insurers, making it (for them anyway) more of a 'risk' than before.

My parents have gone through this at around 75, and I noticed it as I previously (for emergencies, to drive my car home if was taken ill) had my dad on my policy as an additional driver, and the premium jumped by about 5% or so compared to what it was without him on it, when the opposite used to be true beforehand.

I now have my sister (who now also lives closer and thus it's more convenient) as the additional driver.

2. It may be, in addition or instead of the above, some insurers may be changing what type of 'customer profile' balance they are going for. This may include the age, type or make of the car.

They don't want to be seen to be rude (like a bank just closing your account 'for no reason' [as apparently some do these days]), so, like a building contractor, they offer a (high) price, knowing it will mean you'll likely go elsewhere, for the moment (until their business model changes again).

Direct Line are, to me, the industry 'odd man out'. I've never been a 'high risk' potential customer, and yet they've never provided me with a remotely competitive quote. It may be that they provide a vastly superior service when you do have to claim, but if you claim rarely (for me, not since 1999), then 'reasonable' will do.

For the same reason I've never gone for NFU Mutual, who I do know wins customer service awards but you pay through the nose (for me, quotes come in at at least twice the cheapest I consider). I suppose what each person determines as 'value for money' can be very different.

3. Some insurers seem to be of the midset that long-term customers, especially the retired, are 'mugs' and thus try to fleece them by jacking up prices (though normally more slowly so they hope the customers don't notice) as they think they are less willing to change.

In that last respect, they may be correct, in that many older people are reluctant to change (my dad is in that group, but he eventually cottoned on).

Strange, given I suspect that most Backroomers are not exactly dangerous drivers, rarely have to claim on their policy and thus are a nice easy profit-making machine for the insurer, given they don't need to spend money on marketing, just a decent price and service.

I went through a similar experience with esure (was with them for around 15 years) a few years ago where they (not for age or claims [none] reasons) kept jcking the price up when others' were dropping. I'm now with QuoteMeHappy and about £100 better off each year (over the final year with esure) for the same level of cover.

Just make sure you get the proof of no claims document (mine was an emailed pdf) before giving your existing provider the proverbial middle finger! :-)

Edited by Engineer Andy on 25/05/2022 at 13:46

I have no intention of getting into an argument with some people who have responded and whose views of car insurance are different from mine.

A couple of observations: of course I understand that different insurance companies will have different ways of calculating risk and premiums will vary. Direct Line's quote, however, is so far out of line with most others it is difficult to see what the justification is.

As regards asking More Than to match an alternative quote, I tried that last year, pointing out that the quote I got on a comparison site from More Than was far cheaper than the renewal they were offering me. I was told I had better refuse the renewal and take out a new policy.

It's the palaver and waste of time that gets me, I think. I have just given up trying to phone More Than, having hung on for ages. More time wasted.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - Steveieb

Which recommended companies are NFU (Top) LV, Saga and Direct Line. Is that right they are not on the comparison websites ?

But what brought it home to me to get a good company when a friends garage burnt down which had a classic car parked inside.

The assessor came ten days after and said that this would all be sorted by now if you had been with NFU !

Just remembered that when a friends CX5 was damaged by a delivery van the repairer said that the pearlescent paint that Mazda use is one of the most expensive around.

Not sure but maybe £500 for a half litre as it has several colours mixed to give that amazing Red colour. And the most difficult of all to match correctly !

You may be correct about the paint - and yes, mine is the "Soul Red" colour. I believe what is unusual about it is that the final coat - the lacquer - is not clear, but is red, so that the light is reflected through different layers.

Edited by FP on 25/05/2022 at 16:47

If only NFU offered a reasonable quote.

They are head and shoulders above the rest, and when the unexpected happens they turn a disaster into a reason to be grateful you are with them

They have local offices too. But almost double LV quotes. Perhaps farmers get a discount.

But even the best cover will not pay out what it costs to replace a car like for like in this market !

Which recommended companies are NFU (Top) LV, Saga and Direct Line. Is that right they are not on the comparison websites ?

But what brought it home to me to get a good company when a friends garage burnt down which had a classic car parked inside.

The assessor came ten days after and said that this would all be sorted by now if you had been with NFU !

NFU Mutual are, I think, still on some of the comparison websites - that's how I knew about their expensive quotes. In their case, you do get what you pay for, but as I said, it depends on how often you need to claim to whether you think its justified to change to them, especially when the money's tight.

Otherwise the level of customer service really only pertains to payments of premiums and the occasional change of a policy when you change car or address, which mostly are quite straight forward.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - Crickleymal

It seems to be a lottery when it comes to renewals. I recently added my 27 year old son (clean licence held for 4 years) to my Churchill policy (we've got a family holiday coming up with a 600 mile drive and I need to split the driving a bit more fairly). Renewal quote came through 3 days ago £895. I went to GoCompare and got a better policy from Admiral for £400. Exactly the same data used (I used the information on the Churchill quote when I went to GoCompare).

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - RichT54

There's an interesting article in the Guardian today about how the insurance companies have found ways around the new legislation so that existing customers still don't get as good a deal as new customers:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/may/28/car-insurance-costs-loyal-customers-renewals

Since 1 January, insurers have been banned from overcharging loyal policyholders in order to fund discounts to attract new customers. According to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which implemented the ban, 6 million customers who stayed with their provider overpaid £1.2bn in 2018. It estimates that the new rules will save consumers £4.2bn over 10 years.

However, consumers who assume that the ban allows them to put their feet up without paying a price may be in for a shock. Loopholes in the new rules mean they may still end up spending more to renew an existing policy than to buy a new one from the same provider. Companies are still allowed to discriminate between new and existing customers depending on when and how they apply for a quote.

Edited by RichT54 on 28/05/2022 at 11:32

There's an interesting article in the Guardian today about how the insurance companies have found ways around the new legislation so that existing customers still don't get as good a deal as new customers:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/may/28/car-insurance-costs-loyal-customers-renewals

Since 1 January, insurers have been banned from overcharging loyal policyholders in order to fund discounts to attract new customers. According to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which implemented the ban, 6 million customers who stayed with their provider overpaid £1.2bn in 2018. It estimates that the new rules will save consumers £4.2bn over 10 years.

However, consumers who assume that the ban allows them to put their feet up without paying a price may be in for a shock. Loopholes in the new rules mean they may still end up spending more to renew an existing policy than to buy a new one from the same provider. Companies are still allowed to discriminate between new and existing customers depending on when and how they apply for a quote.

Imagine my surprise...firms finding creative ways around laws. The same goes for the utility firms as well. I've found similar issues with my ISP/landline phone provider.

In their case, they also write into the smallprint a clause that now (never used to do this, just continue at the existing rate) bumps the monthly price up by around 50% after the contract expires. They didn't bother telling me this when I was offered this contract, which itself was 15% higher than for new customers. They are also now bumping prices by CPI+4% every year according to the blurb.

It seems ervyone is using 'inflation' as an excuse to bump prices up by (IMHO) more than inflation. Rather similar to a lot of other excuses for 'poor customer service' at the moment over the past 2 years.

This sort of rubbish needs widely publicising to shame firms and organisations into putting things right.

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - _

I am currently with a BT subsidiary, begins with a Plus...

Renewal time has just come up.

It'll be so much.. in the email.

Phoned, It's a good bit less for new customers.. plus a gift card.

If you can imagine, a shrug of shoulders over the phone...

Thanks, bye.

I am currently with a BT subsidiary, begins with a Plus...

Renewal time has just come up.

It'll be so much.. in the email.

Phoned, It's a good bit less for new customers.. plus a gift card.

If you can imagine, a shrug of shoulders over the phone...

Thanks, bye.

Sounds very familiar...mine's up in October. From previously being quite good on treating existing customers well (and far better than BT ever did, IMHO), they started this sort of thing.

I only stayed at last renewal two years before as I got a price reduction, and even then it was still £3pm more than for new customers. Unfortunately for me all the other competition was either no better on price or not much but far worse (at the time) on customer service.

Like with my car insurance 2 years ago, I'm likely to be looking for a new supplier as the cheapest price +N is offering is £1.50 more than I'm currently paying. Whether the alternatives are any better (given the currently inflationary environment) is another matter. Maybe they all think we're mugs who can't be bothered to change.

Their loss is someone else's gain.

From what I’ve been reading BT and any associated companies such as PlusNet and deals signed with Talktalk will soon control the market by aggressive price cutting . Maybe because of their monopoly position on the infrastructure. Driving the competition into financial difficulties.
anyone else heard of this ?

Mazda CX-5 - Insurance merry-go-round yet again - sammy1

Back to Insurance, Had renewal from LV for their 2 car policy increase of some £60 renewal.

Compare quotes for Flow insurance which is part of LV .saving £90 and that is separate policies. So moving on from LV who will not match, crazy!

From what I’ve been reading BT and any associated companies such as PlusNet and deals signed with Talktalk will soon control the market by aggressive price cutting . Maybe because of their monopoly position on the infrastructure. Driving the competition into financial difficulties.
anyone else heard of this ?

Sounds like what (IMHO) the supermarkets have been doing for decades to rid themselves of local /regional smaller scale competition.

They also, in my view, do the same with their filling stations - once all the local indie franchises have closed because they can't compete with the (temporary) price drops and money off voucher offsers, all the prices go up again.

IMHO even prices on Amazon had begun to rise before the Pandemic for a large number of goods where their direct shop competitors had either gone out of business (because they couldn't price match) or at least significantly scaled back operations.

As regards the ISPs, I noticed far less alternatives available to me via the comparison sites than 2 years ago, and similarly less insurance companies for car and home insurance of late.

In my own (former) industry (Building Services Engineering) there was a LOT of amaglamations and takeovers by the big firms, meaning less competition for projects and on salaries, especially away from London.

Other small firms have gone out of business because they couldn't 'buy' work during harder times whilst supporting the minimum staff numbers they needed, and some have 'naturally' gone when a partner retired because nobody want to take on a small firm - they'd rather be a middle-ranked director of a large one.

Too much regulation stifling the little firms and too many politicians and top civil servants being (IMHO) 'influenced' by bosses of major firms in order to benefit the big players at the expense of the small ones and competition, and thus prices rise.