What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - mcb100
28mph flat out and 46 miles range, and yours for £7695.

www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html
Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Metropolis.
Not much better than a bicycle then!
Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Terry W

Not sure about safety - but probably much better than bike or mobility scooter.

Price is a bit (not massively) higher than an upmarket golf buggy or mobility scooter. Both alternatives are slower. However the latter can go into shops!

The 28mph limit is based on an EU regulation dated 2013 - 45kph. IMHO this is too slow even for urban use in the UK although 16 year olds can drive them (cool or uncool??).

Were it (say) 40mph it may appeal to a lot of urban based users - eg: students, pizza delivery, school run, cross town commute etc.

A bit like electric bikes - could they be tweaked to deliver better performance. Would plod know, care or actually take action?

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Cris_on_the_gas

Can be driven at 16 with a provisional licence might swing it !

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - catsdad

I read the reviews and while I expected compromises some are a surprise. First is it can only be charged from a standard power outlet, not dedicated chargers. Also to charge you need to leave the car door open as the flex is in a cubby hole behind the door. It has no windscreen mounted rear view mirror, presumably because it’s not defined as a car.
I wish it well but I doubt we will see many outside the big cities. Except of course some publicity seeker will drive one up Snowdon or from Lands End to John O’Groats. Good luck with either of those.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Will deBeast

From the FAQs:

DO YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN WHEN CHARGING?

No, the Ami features a recess section for the cable to sit when charging

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - barney100

Can you not feed the cable through a partly closed window?

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Andrew-T

No doubt the chip can be tweaked, like an e-scooter ?

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - elekie&a/c doctor
In France this is classified as VSP . Voiture sans permis. Can be driven by 14 year olds with lessons. Not sure about the other countries or the UK .
Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - daveyjp

Can't see the point. In the last two days I have been overtaken on 40 limit roads whilst doing the limit by an electric bike, more akin to a trials bike and today someone on an electric scooter. No reg, no insurance, no road sense, no brains.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Xileno

I've always admired the French for doing something different. However I'm not sure what this offers that the Renault Twizy didn't. Maybe Renault were too early with their offering?

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Adampr

I've always admired the French for doing something different. However I'm not sure what this offers that the Renault Twizy didn't. Maybe Renault were too early with their offering?

Windows?

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - badbusdriver

Windows?

Difficult choice between the two?.

If you lived somewhere with a better climate, the Twizy all day long!. The circa 50mph top speed and mad looks would seal the deal for me. In the UK though?, the Ami being weatherproof would probably seal the deal despite the top speed. I'm not convinced the top speed is going to be a big problem in its intended environment, that is the same as a 50cc moped. And while the Ami's safety may be some way south of a car, it is going to be much better than a moped or bicycle.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Alby Back
Horses for courses thing I suppose isn’t it? Depends on where you live and your lifestyle. For example, a friend of mine lives in the suburbs of Edinburgh but has an office in the city centre. He has cars at home, but uses a Vespa type scooter to get to and from work. It never goes above 30 mph and mostly not above 20mph. Says it really works for him. I’d not see any need or use for such a thing in my life though, other than maybe to hire on holiday to get to the beach, which I have often done.

Edited by Alby Back on 25/05/2022 at 08:47

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - John F

I used to live in the countryside by a main road about four miles from the centre of the town where I worked. In my lifetime 100mph for part of the way into work would have been legal. Thanks to residential development and legislation it is now no more than 30mph with numerous traffic lights all the way. Vast numbers of people now hardly ever drive outside a 30mph limit, so low priced noddy cars make perfect sense for some, whether powered by a lawn mower or hoover engine. Personally, I used a cornflake powered bicycle.

a friend of mine lives in the suburbs of Edinburgh but has an office in the city centre. He has cars at home, but uses a Vespa type scooter to get to and from work. It never goes above 30 mph and mostly not above 20mph. Says it really works for him. I’d not see any need or use for such a thing in my life though, other than maybe to hire on holiday to get to the beach, which I have often done.

This is the problem for the Twizy in this country, a combination of the drawbacks of a car and those of a motorbike/moped/bicycle.

As narrow as it is, you can't go between stationary cars in a jam or queueing at lights, but you are going to get cold and wet unless properly attired. So if you are prepared to shell out for proper warm and waterproof clothing, you might aswell go on two wheels for the ability to pick your way through stationary/queuing traffic.

A Honda Super Cub C125 will do 60+mph, more than 100mpg (188 on paper!), will never break down (probably!), and costs £3699, around a third of what a Twizy cost.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - focussed

"you might aswell go on two wheels for the ability to pick your way through stationary/queuing traffic"

Regrettably, lane splitting or filtering is not allowed in France.

It does get done when les flics are not looking but when they are looking, you get done!

In France this is classified as VSP . Voiture sans permis. Can be driven by 14 year olds with lessons. Not sure about the other countries or the UK .

No lessons as such but being France it's complicated:-

"Access to driving a light motor quadricycle (sans permis or car without licence) is set at 14 years of age. More information on driving for young people on our website my first car goo.gl/YoxVLF 2

The BSR ( a sort of theory test) becomes the AM (moped) license. It includes a moped option and a lightweight quadricycle option. The AM Moped option allows the driving of light quadricycles.

Persons born until 31 December 1987 inclusive do not need BSR (Road Safety Certificate), nor a driving license to drive with a car without a license on French territory.

Persons born after December 31, 1987 must hold the BSR issued until January 18, 2013, or the AM (moped) license (since January 19, 2013).

People holding a valid motorcycle or car driving license, can drive a light quadricycle.

An MOT is not required but insurance IS "

No doubt the chip can be tweaked, like an e-scooter ?

That would just run the already inadequate battery down quicker!

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Zippy123

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced

I can't help thinking that it's too expensive. I would have thought that an ideal target price would be something like £4,995, but then I can't believe that a Ford Fiesta can cost £20,000!

I must be getting old. :-)

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - daveyK_UK

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced

I can't help thinking that it's too expensive. I would have thought that an ideal target price would be something like £4,995, but then I can't believe that a Ford Fiesta can cost £20,000!

I must be getting old. :-)

If only they made a long wheel base 4 seater version for the school run, they would sell lots of them.
Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - Sofa Spud

the concept is great, but I'd prefer something with neater styling. Something with a top speed of around 50 mph and a slightly longer range could become very popular for urban / local use.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - newguy2015

I do a limited mileage now and 90 percentage of my driving is by myself on local roads. Electric cars are way too expensive I would love a micro type car that was cheap and relatively safe to drive.

I think it would need at least 100 mile range during winter and I top speed of 55 would do for me. There are a few dual carriages ways round my way. Motorways are probably out with a car off this type.

the good news is that there does seem to be a few car companies developing for this segment. Here is a couple of examples I’ve found.

https://www.carverelectric.co.uk/

https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

https://www.electrameccanica.com/solo/

So who would like a no compromise microcar for local driving?

I do a limited mileage now and 90 percentage of my driving is by myself on local roads. Electric cars are way too expensive I would love a micro type car that was cheap and relatively safe to drive.

I think it would need at least 100 mile range during winter and I top speed of 55 would do for me. There are a few dual carriages ways round my way. Motorways are probably out with a car off this type.

the good news is that there does seem to be a few car companies developing for this segment. Here is a couple of examples I’ve found.

https://www.carverelectric.co.uk/

https://microlino-car.com/en/microlino

https://www.electrameccanica.com/solo/

So who would like a no compromise microcar for local driving?

I am familiar with the first two of those, but the Fully Charged video clip I watched of the Carver several months ago (watch) stated it as being a 30mph vehicle. And while it does have the capacity to take a passenger, it would appear from the video that the fabric roof needs to be rolled up in order for that to happen (unless a shorter person), and they'd need to be fairly limber and not too wide(!) to actually get in there.

The last of them?, well it being a single seater somewhat reduces the practicality.

I do really like the Microlino, just about the perfect town/city runabout!.

Citroen Ami - Pricing announced. - newguy2015
Thanks for the link to the fully charged video. I’ve loved the carver since I saw it on top gear back in the day. For me the fact that it’s basically a single seater would be fine. Unfortunately top speed and range is way too limited. I am really hoping that it improves a lot over the next few years. It just looks so much fun.

The Microlino is a great looking car. I do have a few concerns with it. Getting in and out of it might by challenging. Also i live in Scotland. Now as you will imagine it very rarely rains up here but the front opening door may create an issue on those rare days when it does rain!