What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - BeeJay71

I was following a VW sports car last week didn't note the reg, below will explain why. & the rear wheels were seriously leaning inwards, excessive negative camber!

Wow! It looked ridiculous, Surely there must be a fault with the car. The tops of both tyres were seriously angled in at the top. Surely it can't be produced like that, we couldn't stop looking at the wheels. The car looked brand new, but unsafe..

Someone please explain.

Cheers.

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - focussed

An explanation of negative camber, why it works etc.

www.tirebuyer.com/education/what-is-negative-camber

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - galileo

I was following a VW sports car last week didn't note the reg, below will explain why. & the rear wheels were seriously leaning inwards, excessive negative camber!

Wow! It looked ridiculous, Surely there must be a fault with the car. The tops of both tyres were seriously angled in at the top. Surely it can't be produced like that, we couldn't stop looking at the wheels. The car looked brand new, but unsafe..

Someone please explain.

Cheers.

Further along our road a VW Golf's owner has had the suspension lowered so much that the sills are only a couple of inches above the tarmac, the top of the rear wheels are above the wheel arch top, the Lord only knows how he gets over the many speed humps beloved of our anti-car council.

If the VW 'sports car' you saw was a Karmann Ghia they were based on the original Beetle which had swing-axle suspension, lowering that would give negative camber.

No idea why these people lower their suspension. Probably the same mentality as those who fit bean-can extensions on their tailpipe to make more noise.

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - badbusdriver

If the VW 'sports car' you saw was a Karmann Ghia they were based on the original Beetle which had swing-axle suspension, lowering that would give negative camber.

No idea why these people lower their suspension. Probably the same mentality as those who fit bean-can extensions on their tailpipe to make more noise.

It certainly could have been a Karmann Ghia as it would be fairly easy to achieve that look with one. But extreme camber is a desired look in some circles. Owners will go to great lengths to get just the right (in their opinion) stance.

Here is a picture of a Jetta having had this treatment,

tilted-tdi-is-one-crazy-jetta-locomotive-rolling-coal-through-the-hood_1.jpg

So it could have been a Scirocco after having similar work done.

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - mcb100
As above, it is a ‘look’ to lower the car and increase the negative camber beyond what’s beneficial.
The other element to this is now having to fit tyres that are much too narrow for the wheels ‘tyre stretching’.
VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - bathtub tom

Daughter had a Skoda with semi-trailing arm rear suspension. I used to drive it 'aggressively' which resulted in the suspension bending, causing lots of rear negative camber. Had the tyres reversed on the rims before she flogged it because of the tyre wear. Doesn't do the tyres good.

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - Ethan Edwards

https://images.app.goo.gl/gEughpufFXz2HE7V8

It's a car modification genre called "Stanced Cars ". I agree it's ludicrous. It actually ruins the handling and usability of the car. Why just why....

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - Xileno

I couldn't get the link to work. This one does: tinyurl.com/a6upbncx

Each to their own I guess. Surely can't pass the MOT like that?

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - Ethan Edwards

I hope it doesn't pass an mot like that. It's daft. Looks like a very fat giant sat on the car.

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - Big John

Many bigger engined modern VAG have independent rear suspension that is designed to have more negative camber as each rear wheel hub pushes into the wheelarch to vastly improve the handling whilst cornering. If suspension is lowered without correcting the camber on each side then it can badly affect handling and tyre wear would be dreadful.

I've also seen some cars where the front has been lowered way too much and you can see where the tyres have been rubbing away at the wheel arches.

Edited by Big John on 30/04/2022 at 21:47

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - Sofa Spud

The extreme negative camber "stancing" looks ridiculous and is really just a way of attention seeking. But at least some some "stanced" cars have a mechanism that can return the wheels to something like a normal camber for everyday driving.

So if having extreme negative camber doesn't make your car dangerous enough, fitting adjustable camber, which can go wrong, will make it even more dangerous.

I'm waiting for the next craze . . . extreme positive camber!!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/05/2022 at 10:44

VW, model ?? - VW Negative camber. - bathtub tom
I'm waiting for the next craze . . . extreme positive camber!!!

As displayed by many pre-war cars with skinny tyres on the front axle and Herald rear.