What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Verso - Toyota Verso- Engine/Gearbox options - Hojo_81

I've been looking at these (Verso) on the net as I'm looking to do a mini camper conversion as an alternative to the usual Berlingo/Partner/Doblos as I want something reliable.

So far all the petrols seem to either 1.6 or 1.8 petrol which I'd prefer but are almost all V-Matic which I assume is auto. The other option is the 2.0 d4d diesel but plenty of manuals to choose from with these. What would be better for long term reliability generally, ideally I'd prefer manual & petrol.

Any other 7 seater MPV/estates I should be looking at budget is up to 6k preferably 2010 onwards? I'm in South East England if that's any help.

Verso - Toyota Verso- Engine/Gearbox options - badbusdriver

Looking on Autotrader for petrol Verso's 2010 on, there are 64 manual and 72 auto's nationwide to choose from. Not a huge amount, and there are (unusually) more auto than manual, but they are out there.

Any other 7 seater MPV/estates I should be looking at budget is up to 6k preferably 2010 onwards? I'm in South East England if that's any help.

First thing is that I'd completely rule out an estate as, unless its only purpose is for you to sleep in, there is nowhere near enough interior height to use as a camper unless you were to fit a raising roof (universal kits are available, so this isn't out of the question). On the subject of interior height, that is the main reason for a small van being the most popular base for a small camper. Even if you compared a VW Caddy to a Touran, while they appear very similar at first glance, the Caddy has a higher roofline (by almost 20cm) than the Touran which, for a camper, should be a very important consideration.

But if you are dead set against a van, other 7 seat MPV's worthy of consideration would be a Mazda 5, Ford Grand C Max (1.6 petrol, avoid the 1.0 Ecoboost), Vauxhall Zafira 1.6, VW Touran with the 105bhp 1.6 (not the 1.6FSI with circa 113bhp, and no TSI's which, at this budget, would almost certainly be an early and troublesome chain drive)

Thanks for posting and advice regarding estates and options. I got a focus estate at end of last year but I passed it on to a family member as they needed a car at short notice and I had a spare. Used it a few times overnight but was a squeeze.

What I'm looking for is something based on Golf/Corolla/Focus size up to 4.5m long.

I had a quick look earlier at the Zafira plenty available and well priced with plenty of 1.6 petrols, is the 1.7 d worth looking at, I assume these are Isuzu motors.

Cmax also seems more plentiful, I'll have a search later for the Grand C max which I guess is a bit bigger.

I do like the Caddy/Touran I used to drive a caddy van for work with the old SDI engine,slow but bomb proof and good on fuel. Is the 105bhp 1.6 you mentioned the diesel or petrol? Only reason I would avoid a van is it will be used as everyday car. No kids but do have to fun elderly family around sometimes.

I will have to research the Mazda 5 again I looked at these last year but can't re call the engine options, I assume petrols are chains.

I use a 2010 Caddy 2.0SDI for my work, ex British Gas, I went specifically for that engine because the 1.6TDI, while more powerful and possibly more efficient, doesn't have that great a reputation (that is the engine behind the diesegate scandal). The 1.6 I'm talking about for the Touran is indeed a petrol, though having looked again on Autotrader it seems to be rated at either 100 or 102bhp.

Yes, the 1.7 diesel in the Zafira is worthy of consideration, and yes, it is an Isuzu motor. More reliable than the other (Fiat sourced) 'Vauxhall' diesels.

Grand C Max is 4520mm long, only a little longer than the Zafira (4467mm), so shouldn't prove to be a problem.

The Mazda 5 will have either a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol. I think they are chain drive but not sure, personally I wouldn't base my choice on that though.

Verso - Toyota Verso- Engine/Gearbox options - Big John

So far all the petrols seem to either 1.6 or 1.8 petrol which I'd prefer but are almost all V-Matic which I assume is auto.

Isn't the V-matic auto on the verso the disastrous automated manual?

So far all the petrols seem to either 1.6 or 1.8 petrol which I'd prefer but are almost all V-Matic which I assume is auto.

Isn't the V-matic auto on the verso the disastrous automated manual?

Not sure, but I think that was the Multimode.

OP wants manual anyway.

Well I can't seem to find any manual versos within 100 miles, all the petrol ones are V-Matic. Have I got this completely wrong? Is V matic the engine type/name and not the gearbox?

Current shortlist - All manual & petrol

1.6 petrol Zafira

1.6 petrol Touran

1.6 petrol Cmax/grand Cmax

1.8/2.0 Mazda 5

Verso - Toyota Verso- Engine/Gearbox options - Heidfirst

V-matic=Valvematic, variable valve timing.

It's not a transmission.

Well I can't seem to find any manual versos within 100 miles, all the petrol ones are V-Matic. Have I got this completely wrong? Is V matic the engine type/name and not the gearbox?

Surely the adverts you are looking at for the Verso will tell you if it is an auto or manual?

Thanks for clarifying guys, I thought something didn't quite add up. I saw the word Matic and wrongly assumed it was some kind of semi auto box.

Verso - Toyota Verso- Engine/Gearbox options - Heidfirst

Personally, I would definitely take the 1.8 over the 1.6.

Bear in mind that Toyota have a 10 year or 100,000 mile Relax Warranty subject to dealer servicing (it's possible to bring non-dealer serviced vehicles back under the scheme by getting a dealer service - obviously pre-existing issues won't be covered until fixed)

Just fyi - the auto transmission option with that is a well-regarded CVT, Multidrive-S.

Edited by Heidfirst on 01/05/2022 at 22:56

Toyota Verso/Cmax/Zafira options - Hojo_81

That's great to know, thanks for the info.

After looking around I think Verso is going to be tight on budget of 6k.

I've seen some some 2012 C Maxes around 5k and and Grand Max under 6k with under 100000 on them. These are mainly 1.6 petrol ( non ecoboost) Still haven't ruled out a focus estate as they have a big-ish boot and rear seats fold flat.

Zafira also tempting especially late old look 2012 which I've seen for as little as 3-3.5k is 1.6 16v petrol plus there seems to be plenty to choose from. There's also the newer look Zafira Tourer, there's some 1.4 and 1.8 petrol options with these not sure how reliable they compare to the 1.6.

My gut says go Ford with the 1.6 petrol for reliability plus it will probably be nicest to drive and live with as everyday car. Thinking of either Zetec or Titanium where there's a 105bhp or 123bhp , any real differences between them?