What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hot hatch for £6k - F3z

As title suggest I'm looking for a hot hatch in the region of £6k. What cars would you suggest keeping an eye out for?

Hot hatch for £6k - paul 1963

As title suggest I'm looking for a hot hatch in the region of £6k. What cars would you suggest keeping an eye out for?

None sadly, at that sort of money they'll all have had a hard life.

Hot hatch for £6k - Xileno

Fiesta ST seem to be all the rage but if you want one of the newer shapes then you will be looking at high mileage. And almost definitely a hard life. And probably nicked at some point. Or about to be.

Friend's wife had hers nicked recently (a 50th birthday present), Police said it was one of many reported gone in the area.

Hot hatch for £6k - Engineer Andy

Fiesta ST seem to be all the rage but if you want one of the newer shapes then you will be looking at high mileage. And almost definitely a hard life. And probably nicked at some point. Or about to be.

Friend's wife had hers nicked recently (a 50th birthday present), Police said it was one of many reported gone in the area.

For cars likely of the age and type the OP wants, I'd put good money on the vast majority also being previously modded (but probably not done to a high standard or kept in good nick) as well, which will not do the reliability / longevity or the insurance premium any good at all. It may make them more stealable though.

I'd also put good money on the OP's insurance premium being higher than the value of the car if they are under 30.

Hot hatch for £6k - Gibbo_Wirral

You can get a good Peugeot 206 GTI 180 for well under £6000, plenty around which have been cared for, but also plenty of £1k rubbish.

All depends on what the OP wants really.

Hot hatch for £6k - Ian_SW

It would depend on how much of a "hot" hatch the OP is after. Anything with the performance of a Golf R, Audi ST etc is going to either be trashed, ancient or stolen at that price. However there are some cars around which have a lot less power but are still fun to drive and in many ways more like the original hot hatches of the 80s.

I'd say worth looking at a Suzuki Swift Sport and Abarth 500, both of which will be in price range.

Hot hatch for £6k - thunderbird

You can get a good Peugeot 206 GTI 180 for well under £6000,

Tested one of those in 140 bhp form 1998. Seemed ok in many respects but totally spoilt by a dreadful driving position. Bought the 1.8 Focus, not exactly "hot" but had the same power as the 1600 205 GTi but even though it was heavier it was still no slouch. Kept me happy for 10 years.

Fact is many of todays "cooking" versions are as fast (if not faster) than "hot" hatches of yesteryear.

Hot hatch for £6k - Andrew-T

Tested one of those in 140 bhp form 1998. Seemed ok in many respects but totally spoilt by a dreadful driving position..

Yes, my only experience of a 206 was ruined by uncomfortable seats.

Hot hatch for £6k - Xileno

That's odd, Peugeots generally have been renowned for comfort. The 205 we ran years ago was great. Maybe the 206 had an offset position like the 106 did - a compromise in the RHD design?

Tested one of those in 140 bhp form 1998. Seemed ok in many respects but totally spoilt by a dreadful driving position..

Yes, my only experience of a 206 was ruined by uncomfortable seats.

If I recall (from a work colleague who owned one about 2 years later), reports said that the pedals and/or steering wheel were significantly offset on the RHD versions.

It's one thing I always check when buying a car and is a 'red line' if it is significant, because I am prone to back problems.

Hot hatch for £6k - SLO76
For £6k I’d squeeze myself into a Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport. But better yet, beg, borrow or steal more money to find a good unmolested Fiesta ST or Mk III Focus ST. These are brilliant hot hatches and both offer Japanese levels of reliability but combined with outstanding driver enjoyability.
Hot hatch for £6k - barney100

I knew someone who bought the ST and she traded it in very quickly saying it wasn't even a warm hatch. Looked good but gutless.

I knew someone who bought the ST and she traded it in very quickly saying it wasn't even a warm hatch. Looked good but gutless.

A 2 Litre Turbo with 250PS gutless? Her expectations were a tad high I suspect.

Hot hatch for £6k - barney100

Maybe you are right but she wasn't happy with it.

Hot hatch for £6k - badbusdriver

I think your friend may have bought an ST-Line, which is just a trim level.

The original Fiesta ST (2005) had a 150bhp 2.0. Not massively fast, but plenty quick enough to entertain (and definitely not gutless!). The next Fiesta ST was the (7th gen) 1.6 turbo which started off with 182bhp before going up to 200bhp.

The 3rd gen Focus ST has 250bhp.

Hot hatch for £6k - SLO76

They’re surely not talking about the Mk VI ST with the 1.6 turbocharged motor. These go like the clappers and are great fun to drive plus reliable too if looked after. If one of these isn’t fast enough for them then they shouldn’t be allowed on public roads unsupervised. The older Mk V with the normally aspirated 2.0 petrol isn’t hugely rapid but they’re still great fun.
Hot hatch for £6k - thunderbird

I remember back to 2005 when the Mk 1 Focus was being superseded by the Mk 2. My Mk 1 1.8 Zetec was coming up 7 years old and our local dealer was advertising deals on the outgoing ST 170 model so went along for a drive and see about a deal. Drive went well and despite it being the lowest powered Focus ST of all time (no turbo in this era) it was certainly no slouch. Problem was there were no 5 door versions anywhere in the country and all stock cars were laden with £1000,s of expensive extras like leather, xenon's, high grade sounds etc with little discount, left it at that.

With the desire to change still in mind borrowed a Civic Type R for the afternoon. 200 PS in that, still no turbo but it knocked the Focus into touch, brilliant car. Good deals available on stock cars but only 3 doors and the silly front "racing" seats made access into the rear difficult, left that one as well.

But the Civic is probably the only car I regret not buying.

Move on 13 years and I bought the Pulsar, "only" 190 PS (with a turbo this time) but nowhere near as quick outright as the above 2 (but much easier to drive). Cost about £3000 less than they wanted for the Civic and £5000 less than the ST.

Hot hatch for £6k - Alby Back
I like quick or even fast cars. Had many over the years. Enjoyed them all. But, sadly I’m of a mind now that there seems little point in today’s world in having a “hot” anything anymore.

Traffic density, cameras, fuel prices etc.

Better off wafting about in something comfortable maybe?

Or perhaps I’m just getting old eh?
;-)

I remember back to 2005 when the Mk 1 Focus was being superseded by the Mk 2. My Mk 1 1.8 Zetec was coming up 7 years old and our local dealer was advertising deals on the outgoing ST 170 model so went along for a drive and see about a deal. Drive went well and despite it being the lowest powered Focus ST of all time (no turbo in this era) it was certainly no slouch. Problem was there were no 5 door versions anywhere in the country and all stock cars were laden with £1000,s of expensive extras like leather, xenon's, high grade sounds etc with little discount, left it at that.

With the desire to change still in mind borrowed a Civic Type R for the afternoon. 200 PS in that, still no turbo but it knocked the Focus into touch, brilliant car. Good deals available on stock cars but only 3 doors and the silly front "racing" seats made access into the rear difficult, left that one as well.

But the Civic is probably the only car I regret not buying.

Move on 13 years and I bought the Pulsar, "only" 190 PS (with a turbo this time) but nowhere near as quick outright as the above 2 (but much easier to drive). Cost about £3000 less than they wanted for the Civic and £5000 less than the ST.

I too have regrets about not buying a Civic Type R when I went for my more mundane (but as almost good handling) Mazda3 1.6 petrol back in early 2006.

Whilst there was a big difference (in percentage terms) between the two lowest prices I could find for each, the Type R was a bargain for the performance you got and practically bullet-proof reliability (no turbo to expire) if maintained well. Especially with the rise in prices for 'hot hatches' even before the current 'situation'.

Trying to find a non-abused (i.e. not maintained properly) or unmodified one nowadays though is becoming increasingly difficult, sadly. I think they are becoming what the Citroen Saxo VTS did a decade before...