Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - OceanMan

Hey all

I have a 2009 Ford fiesta (1.25) and a big fat coolant leak. I topped it up (actually above the max line) and the coolant dropped below the minimum line after about 70 miles of driving.

I'm just wondering the best way to go about fixing it. I'm unemployed right now, so I was considering trying to fix it myself because a) I'm not driving much anyway and b) I'm impecunious. Has anyone used a bottle of coolant leak fluid and had a positive experience? Or can you recommend a good cheap leak detection pump ?

Thanks all

Edit: does this look like a worthwhile thing to try? A uv light method to identify the source?

youtu.be/rDuGeQnMOzk

Edited by OceanMan on 17/04/2022 at 18:07

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - elekie&a/c doctor
To go anywhere forward with this , you need a coolant pressure tester . Starting price is around £60 . I would not use any leak stopper at this stage .

Thanks for the response. Any good pressure testers for around £60 in particular? Also would the uv die system been no good?

E bay cos your friend here . US pro tools pressure tester. £56 . Forget the Uv dye .
Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - Big John

Has anyone used a bottle of coolant leak fluid and had a positive experience?

I've used way in the past with bad experience - blocked my heater matrix so heater stopped working

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - sammy1

You may as well pay a garage £60 for an hours labour than invest in a pressure tester. If hardly using the car may as well keep topping up with water. Do not overfill the bottle the max is there for a reason. Carry some water in the car if you need to go distance.. I take it that you have checked for leaks water pump etc

I haven't but I remember a few weeks ago I took the car to a garage for an unrelated issue and they did say that the water pump sounded too loud or something? And the drive belt was cracked...They were going to look into it but I didn't have the cash to do so. I think that should.be my next step. Check and possibly replace the the water pump and drive belt?

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - sammy1

If the water pump is leaking there should be a fluid trace visible. Get confirmation that the pump is leaking

How would I confirm this? Would I be able to look under the car and see leaks by the water pump?

I should add, anout a Month ago, on the hottest day of the year, I drove for about 30 miles and when I stopped the car was making a loud hissing, gurgling noise and it sounded it was coming from around the passenger glove box /footwell... there's a recording here but it doesn't capture the sound very clearly --

filebin.net/frw4o142y0tjsbr3

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - Andrew-T

You haven't said what you have looked for so far. Any puddles under the car ? What happens if you let the hot engine idle with the bonnet up - any blow-off from the header tank ? Or radiator hoses, or any other hoses ? Any steam from the exhaust ?

There are all kinds of possibilities.

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - John F

Unfortunately, in the absence of signs of visible leakage, the most likely cause is a failing cylinder head gasket. In the early stages when the CHG leak is tiny, a pressure test of the cylinders will not show any significant abnormality, but a test for exhaust gases in the coolant might diagnose it. Are the oil and coolant a normal colour? Any 'mayonnaise' on the oil filler cap?

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll have to try them over the next few days. I just drove for 20 minutes in stop start traffic and my car had an overheating warning light! I assume that could be related to the coolant leak? Even though I topped the fluid up yesterday and it's still above min.

I haven't checked for visible leaks - or for mayo on the oil. As far as I know the coolant is pink as it should be, maybe it's a bit lighter than you'd expect.

I'm not sure if it matters but this coolant leak has been happening for over a year, maybe close to two.

These engines are not common for head gasket issues. I would take a close look at the plastic thermostat housing which is located behind the Aircon pump. Difficult to see from above . These very commonly fracture and leak . If the expansion tank is half full , but still overheating, then I suspect there is an airlock in the coolant system . These can be difficult to bleed correctly.

Thanks for the response. I'm sat in my car letting it run now. Been about ten minutes. Can't see any steam or leaks from hoses but I did hear a water sloshing sound by the passenger footwell. Not sure if that is related.

Honestly I'm so ignorant about my car that I don't even know where the Aircon pump is!

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - Andrew-T

Honestly I'm so ignorant about my car that I don't even know where the Aircon pump is!

You should be able to afford a Haynes manual for a Fiesta. At least it would show you what all the parts are :-)

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - edlithgow
These engines are not common for head gasket issues. I would take a close look at the plastic thermostat housing which is located behind the Aircon pump. Difficult to see from above . These very commonly fracture and leak . If the expansion tank is half full , but still overheating, then I suspect there is an airlock in the coolant system . These can be difficult to bleed correctly.

An airlock shouldn't lead to consistent coolant loss though if its in the process of clearing itself escaping air may cause blow-off from the coolant reservoir. An air lock can thus do a fairly good impersonation of more serious head gasket failure.

I had these symptoms on the Skywing which everybody and his dog assured me was a head gasket failure; which are apparently quite common on these 3-cylinder engines, especially when turbo-boosted.

Cleared itself eventually

These days if I drain the system I clear airlocks by boiling the coolant with the radiator cap off and the fan disabled. I have a large plastic funnel which fits into a smaller plastic funnel which fits in to the radiator fill port, and gives the coolant somewhere to expand.

Its a bit alarming but I think its better than risking local overheating by using the engine normally with an airlock.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/04/2022 at 01:43

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - Stephanie Evans

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I jump onto this thread.

I also have a coolant leak. The water pump was changed as they diagnosed a slight leak but the engine was still overheating. I found that when I stopped the car after the red warning light appeared coolant was dripping from underneath the coolant tank area. They very much believe it isn't the head gasket as the oil and coolant are clean and apparantly there is no build up of pressure now, however, what would cause the coolant to drip underneath like it does? They have now suggested changing the egr valve. As they are still not certain that this is the issues, I have bought a refurb part off ebay. Anybody with any suggestions that I can put forward?

Ford Fiesta - Coolant leak - edlithgow

EGR sounds unlikely.

I would suggest you (and more particularly the OP) start by confirming that your cooling fan is working,

We had a similar Fiesta thread recently which came down to a dysfunctional fan, which a linked video shows is an especially lousy design (from a punter point of view, just fine for the maker), autodestructing when the brushes wear out.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/161937/ford-fiesta...9--

Admittedly its hard to believe a garage wouldn't spot that, but I have very little experience with garages.

If it overheats it'll either overflow the coolant reservoir (which matches your description) or find another weak point. In the other thread that was the thermostat housing

Edited by edlithgow on 02/08/2022 at 02:31