What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - Theophilus

I see that France has announced a decree that potentially bans patients suffering from Alzheimer’s from driving (presumably also affecting British holidaymakers!). The decree says ‘upon the onset of cognitive decline, and in particular pathological decline such as Alzheimer's or related diseases, there will be a total ban on driving’

While I have sympathy with the concern that patients who suffer from dementia shouldn’t be putting themselves and other road users at risk I can also anticipate this deterring those with early dementia from seeking medical attention … for fear that they will lose their access to mobility and if living in rural areas access to shops, medical facilities and even hairdressers and florists (so essential!).

It prompted me to review the latest medical guidance from the DVLA regarding driving with Alzheimer’s. Unlike the French guidance which includes Alzheimer’s under “Neurological conditions” the DVLA categories all forms of dementia as “Psychiatric disorders” – which I can anticipate causing some offence and distress.

However the DVLA seems to give more latitude for individual assessment of the degree of cognitive impairment, stating:

“May be able to drive but must notify DVLA. It is difficult to assess driving ability in people with dementia. DVLA acknowledges that there are varied presentations and rates of progression, and the decision on licensing is usually based on medical reports. Considerations include: ¦ poor short-term memory, disorientation, and lack of insight and judgement almost certainly mean no fitness to drive ¦ disorders of attention cause impairment ¦ in early dementia, when sufficient skills are retained and progression is slow, a licence may be issued subject to annual review A formal driving assessment may be necessary”

All of which sounds very sensible and reasonable.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - _

One of our neighbours, same age as myself, was advised by her GP to stop driving, ( didn't want to, but in our opinion should have stopped) Optician then notified DVLA because of eyesight problems, who then did a test drive around Colchester. Licence removed after she became confused on an unfamiliar bit of road. She is Now happy with that decision. They are good friends, but her " lights are dim indeed ! "

Very sad, but husband who is 82 still drives.

Another neighbour (90) had a stroke, and then balance problems and gave up voluntarily.

A friend in London (86) has recently given up.. reasons.. eyesight very blurred, age, insurance premiums - HA6 postcode, and the sheer aggravation of driving around edgware/mill hill etc.

Edited by _ORB_ on 04/04/2022 at 19:44

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - badbusdriver

While I have sympathy with the concern that patients who suffer from dementia shouldn’t be putting themselves and other road users at risk I can also anticipate this deterring those with early dementia from seeking medical attention … for fear that they will lose their access to mobility and if living in rural areas access to shops, medical facilities and even hairdressers and florists (so essential!).

There are many conditions where a driver should stop driving. The kind of person you describe would also deliberately avoid seeking medical attention for all these other conditions too.

Following a stroke, my Dad decided to give up driving as soon as it became apparent that his field of vision had been compromised. But he says he knows for a fact that if the same happened to either of his two siblings, they would only stop driving if they were told to by a doctor.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - Xileno

A very difficult subject and distressing for those directly or indirectly affected. The balance between allowing people to retain their independence against protecting the safety of others is not a call I would like to make but I think the DVLA have got it about right. It will be interesting to see how the French policy works out. Will those of senior years take it kindly?

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - Ethan Edwards

My Father was driving whilst suffering from a form of Alzeheimers. Multi Infarction dementia. Having POA I informed the DVLA and initiated his licence being pulled. He went ballistic and hit me. Next minute he had forgotten all about it. One more thing in a series of heartbreaking situations as I gradually lost my dad to the disease. The emotional roller coaster that ends only one way. That's why I have utmost respect for carers going through this. Only child so no other family to share it. My wife was my rock. I think about my parents a lot especially now I'm turning 60 myself. But you as a family member have a responsibility to society to do the right thing however hard. If I get into a similar situation it's fast drive off beachy head for me.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - alan1302

If I get into a similar situation it's fast drive off beachy head for me.

Just think of the people that have to deal with the aftermath of that on the emergency services.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - focussed

A very difficult subject and distressing for those directly or indirectly affected. The balance between allowing people to retain their independence against protecting the safety of others is not a call I would like to make but I think the DVLA have got it about right. It will be interesting to see how the French policy works out. Will those of senior years take it kindly?

This decree was a total surprise to just about every french newspaper, magazine, website and worryingly the French Alzheimer's Association who have protested already that as there are different degrees of the disease in different people a one size fits all policy is not the answer.

I think there will also be valid protests that this decree was snuck in while nobody was looking - I first heard about it on here and I read french newspapers online every day.

France is a huge country and a lot of it is out in the sticks, public transport doesn't exist in most country districts and questions are being asked already about the wisdom of disqualifying elderly drivers who may be perfectly safe on roads and places they know.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - craig-pd130

My wife's dad had a series of minor strokes over a period of months which didn't impair him physically but affected his visual perception, processing and hand-eye coordination.

Against our advice, as we did not feel he was up to driving at all, his wife arranged for him to have a session with an instructor to "rebuild his confidence." The session was aborted after 10 minutes when he tried to go anti-clockwise round a roundabout, he was confused about which way was left and which was right. Luckily, he didn't hit anyone else.

Any - Driving with Alzheimer’s Disease - bathtub tom

MIL got her car jammed diagonally in the garage (that took some extracting). She decided to sell it and got a mobility scooter.