What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - ifekas

Anyone else disappointed with the 'expert' Sarah Tooze's reply to a user question about PowerShift issues? Surely everyone must know these gearboxes have a history of being troublesome!

Ford say they don't have a history of this being an issue and nor have any recalls been issued. Unfortunately, due to the age of the vehicle they are unable to help as the vehicle is out of warranty so this is an issue you will have to take up with the dealer you bought the car from.

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - badbusdriver

Surely everyone must know these gearboxes have a history of being troublesome!

If that was the case, the person asking the question surely wouldn't have bought the car.

I don't usually read the Ask HJ questions because the quality, informativeness and usefulness of the answers these days does seem to vary quite dramatically. In this case, the answer given by the 'so called expert' is frankly pathetic, almost like she couldn't be bothered. While ultimately there is nothing which can done to help the owner of this 9 year old car, just reiterating Ford's denial of there being any problem really doesn't help anyone (except perhaps from an advertising revenue perspective?).

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - Falkirk Bairn

Ford settle in USA but deny any problems in UK

www.caranddriver.com/news/a30689585/ford-settlemen.../

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - daveyK_UK
I’m not sure what is more useless, a Ford power shift automatic gearbox or the answers to the honest John question section.

I suspect without any evidence some of the questions are so ridiculous that they are made up by the people answering them.

Long gone are the days when Honest John himself would answer with insight and trade knowledge.
Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - alan1302

I don't see what is wrong with the answer - it states facts that Ford have not recalled the gearbox and don't admit to the issue...and they won't do anything for you and your only hope is getting the dealer to help. What did you expect the answer to be?

I don't see what is wrong with the answer - it states facts that Ford have not recalled the gearbox and don't admit to the issue...and they won't do anything for you and your only hope is getting the dealer to help. What did you expect the answer to be?

The 'expert' could have said something along the lines of that the Powershift transmission is well known for failures. But due to the age of the owners car, and Ford denying there is any problem with it, there is no chance of any recompense.

They could then have suggested the car owner get in contact with the group (or groups) of owners who are trying to get Ford to own up and take responsibility like they did in the USA (assuming they haven't given up).

And they could have recommended the car owner look into getting other gearbox quotes, perhaps for a reconditioned unit, as the price mentioned seems awfully high.

Y'know, something helpful which, at the very least, let's the car owner know that it isn't just their car.

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - Alison Griffiths

The 'expert' could have said something along the lines of that the Powershift transmission is well known for failures. But due to the age of the owners car, and Ford denying there is any problem with it, there is no chance of any recompense.

They could then have suggested the car owner get in contact with the group (or groups) of owners who are trying to get Ford to own up and take responsibility like they did in the USA (assuming they haven't given up).

And they could have recommended the car owner look into getting other gearbox quotes, perhaps for a reconditioned unit, as the price mentioned seems awfully high.

Y'know, something helpful which, at the very least, let's the car owner know that it isn't just their car.

Hi. I am on the case with this. Fed up with Ford getting away with denying any problems. Honest John appear to have missed a scoop here. How many of these cars were sold in the UK and Europe? Honest John could take the lead and help set up a group like the VW 'dieselgate'. The gear box is not just in Ford cars. It's in Volvos too. I'm pretty hacked off at Ford's attitude and will now approach Watchdog, newspapers and anyone else who will listen. I may get nowhere, but someone has to start the ball rolling. Yes my car is 9 years old but the gearbox wear and tear is equal to 67,000 miles. I expected gearbox to last a lot longer. Besides, the dealer has a lot of questions to answer regarding their sale of the car. Yup, angry Welsh girl is on the warpath!!!

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - _

Ford cover the gearbox IF the gearbox oil change has been done @ 30000 miles.

My neighbour found out last year on a 6 year old car, there would have been a contribution, plus 10% from the selling dealer.

So let us get the facts correct too.

Sadly it seems in the UK, folk are far less likely to kick up a major fuss with things like this. In the USA, Ford did accept there was a problem with the gearbox, see link Falkirk Bairn posted.

Similar case with VAG's dieselgate fiasco.

But I wish you all the best in your quest

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - Engineer Andy

Sadly it seems in the UK, folk are far less likely to kick up a major fuss with things like this. In the USA, Ford did accept there was a problem with the gearbox, see link Falkirk Bairn posted.

Similar case with VAG's dieselgate fiasco.

But I wish you all the best in your quest

Sounds like our authorities are more lenient than our collonial cousins (the Aussies equivalent also appear to be very strict on bad customer care). Saying that, car owners need to keep up with the news, in case any recall or similar issue (such as this) comes up.

A local bloke owning a gen-1 Mazda3 like mine should've had his (one and only) recall notice on the centre bit of the steering wheel, but he hadn't and only found out when I told him about it when I said hello the other day.

It appears some recall notices (mine didn't) fall through the cracks, especially if a car has had more than a couple of owners and is being maintained via indie outfits. Also handy to be a member of an owners website as they are often an invaluable source of information (pop in now and then even if you're not 'into' cars) on problems and how to resolve them.

Ford Focus - PowerShift question in HJ - catsdad

Re HJ getting a scoop, those days are long gone. HJ was a real person but left some time ago and the site is now owned by a company. They will not rock the boat by publicising an issue with a particular manufacturer. Fair enough, they are a business and need to maintain relationships with the manufacturers.

However the backroom itself is populated by a largely knowledgeable bunch and the site owners are to be commended on giving us a pretty free rein. But if you are looking for an active consumer champion site you need to look elsewhere.