What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - ChodeGuy

Hello, does anyone know which of the following is the best car, that has the highest seating position/raised from the ground similar to a van?
It is a car for an elderly person, and they previously had a Toyota Yaris that is from around 2000-2005 I think. The shape is rectangular toward the back and does not slope downward. The reason they are changing is that the catalytic converter keeps getting stolen on the Toyota Yaris.

These are the three I have shortlisted for them that have the shape they wan't. Thanks for your help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Panda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Picanto (Although the shape is not as "rectangular)

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - badbusdriver

Current shape (2016/7 onwards) Suzuki Ignis should also been your list.

In terms of seat height, the Ignis would be tallest followed by the Panda (though if it was a Panda 4x4, this would be about the same height as the Ignis), followed by the Up and Picanto.

In terms of reliability, the Suzuki Ignis would be best, fairly closely followed but the Picanto and Up. The Panda is a mixed bag with the naturally aspirated 1.2 petrol being the best. The 0.8 Twinair and diesel models don't have the best reputations.

I'm assuming a manual gearbox, if you want auto, I'd have either the Picanto up to the 2020 facelift or the Ignis from 2020 onwards.

Meant to add, if you decide on the Up, it is one of three identical cars bar badging. The others being the Skoda Citigo and the Seat Mii.

Also worth considering is the Hyundai i10, pretty much the same car under the skin as the Kia Picanto, but has a bit more room.

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - ExA35Owner

Really pleased with our Ignis - one of the selling points was the driving position.

Note not all have 5 seats in the back, the top spec one has only 4.

4WD options on Suzuki and Fiat.

Really pleased with our Ignis - one of the selling points was the driving position.

Note not all have 5 seats in the back, the top spec one has only 4.

4WD options on Suzuki and Fiat.

We also have an Ignis, really pleased with it too apart from the automated manual (AGS*). It is actually only the lowest of the three trim levels which has a three seat rear bench, the mid and top spec both have two rear seats. But because the cabin is so narrow, I would rather the two seats and the extra flexibility that brings (each rear seat slides independently so you can prioritise rear legroom or boot space).

I'm guessing the OP does not need five seats though as the VW Up (plus the Citigo and Mii) are four seat only. And while you do get a five seat option on the Panda, by far the most are four seaters.

*The 2020 onward facelift changed to a CVT, which is why I suggested that (budget permitting of course) if the OP needs auto.

I have shortlisted the Suzuki Ignis and Hyundai i10 to the list also.

The budget is below £12,000, but please include £15,000 options also if its worth it.

Petrol, Manual, raised position and comfortable driving and passenger seats are top priority. Cheap to run, find parts for and reliability secondary but also important.

It only has to have 4 seats.

What would you guys say is the better choice between:

Volkswagen UP, Fiat Panda, Kia Picanto, Suzuki Ignis, Hyundai i10

Thanks for your help

I have shortlisted the Suzuki Ignis and Hyundai i10 to the list also.

The budget is below £12,000, but please include £15,000 options also if its worth it.

Petrol, Manual, raised position and comfortable driving and passenger seats are top priority. Cheap to run, find parts for and reliability secondary but also important.

It only has to have 4 seats.

What would you guys say is the better choice between:

Volkswagen UP, Fiat Panda, Kia Picanto, Suzuki Ignis, Hyundai i10

Thanks for your help

Seat comfort is quite a personal thing, one person finds the seats in one car comfy, a second person doesn't. All I can say is that I find the Ignis seats comfy both for short trips and longer ones (around 3.5 hours).

£15k is enough to get into a brand new example of any of the above.

An entry level Kia Picanto can be had from around £10k new and will come with a 7 year warranty. The i10 (which has a 5 year warranty) and Panda (3 year warranty I think) from just under £13k. The Ignis starts at about £13.5k for the base model (the SZ-3 with the three person rear bench seat) but the mid spec SZ-5 and top spec SZ-T can be had for just under £15k. The Up (which TBH, I thought you could only buy as an EV these days, but apparently not) is starting just under £14k.

As I said before, I'd expect the Ignis to be most reliable followed (not far behind) by the Picanto (and i10). But as a new car with a new car warranty, I would be happy enough with a Panda, especially if you have a dealer nearby. Best thing to do would just to get out and try them to see which is comfiest for the buyer.

For me, an Ignis SZ-5 or SZ-T would be the favourite. But I do have a soft spot for the Panda!.

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - paul 1963

Another vote for the Ignis, Drove one recently ( I am friends with the principal of my local dealer) and I must say it was a nice place to be, think the it was SZ-5 trim and had everything you could need, as a aside all new suzukis are mild hybrid which in my experience ( I own a new vitara)works unobtrusively in the background.

Edit: There is 4x4 version available should you need it.

Couple of other things.

The above prices are all from Autotrader, you may well be able to get any of them cheaper from a car broker.

Also, you can get a facelifted (2020) Ignis SZ-T from under £13k or a pre-facelift (but also 2020) for £11.5k.

Something else which just occurred to me was that you got a version of the Picanto with slightly raised suspension and the wheel arch cladding to give it a hint of SUV/crossover. These are called 'X-Line' and £12k would get you into a 2020 example.

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - elekie&a/c doctor
Something worth considering, but slightly larger, is the Hyundai ix20 .

Thx for the info and help. I will get them to go to the local dealer of each brand to test them all out.

Does anyone know why the Volkswagen UP does not rank as high as the other brands in terms of reliability and cost for parts e.t.c? I thought German manufacturing/engineering had a prestige? Is it because the model is a budget one, or is there inherently something "off" about the cheaper Volkswagens?

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - RT

Thx for the info and help. I will get them to go to the local dealer of each brand to test them all out.

Does anyone know why the Volkswagen UP does not rank as high as the other brands in terms of reliability and cost for parts e.t.c? I thought German manufacturing/engineering had a prestige? Is it because the model is a budget one, or is there inherently something "off" about the cheaper Volkswagens?

Volkswagen isn't the epitome of reliability it once was - any prestige is simply VW resting on it's laurels!

I thought German manufacturing/engineering had a prestige?

Many people do!, this is the problem with going by assumptions rather than looking into it. They certainly have 'showroom appeal', but that doesn't necessarily translate into reliability. It could be argued that German manufacturers seem to be most interested in outdoing each other in the tech department resulting in new features not being properly developed and tested before appearing in new cars.

Does anyone know why the Volkswagen UP does not rank as high as the other brands in terms of reliability and cost for parts e.t.c?

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the Up will be unreliable, just not as reliable as the Ignis (the difference won't be much though). But given you can afford a new version of all the cars you are looking, any differences between their reliability will only become a problem once the warranty has expired.

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - Heidfirst

buying new or s/h?

If new, then the obvious replacement with a higher seat would be a Yaris Cross or perhaps AygoX.

The 1.5 engine in the current Yaris or Yaris Cross has the cat. pretty inacessible from under the car.

Volkswagen Up - Elevated/Raised driving position on "City" car? - thunderbird

We have a 4 year old Skoda Fabia. Had it 2 1/2 years and had zero issues with it, brilliant car. The car is about the same size as a Yaris but its certainly more elevated than many small cars. The windows are pretty big so you get a good view out unlike many cars these days where the tops of the doors are pretty high.

We have the SE-L spec and both the drivers and passenger front seat are height adjustable, that was one of the factors that decided it for us. Not sure if the lower specs get the adjustment on the passenger seat but sure all specs get it on the drivers.

Suggest you have a look at one, brilliant value.

Edited by thunderbird on 02/04/2022 at 16:46