What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - _

so the extra cost is £12000 and bit more than a Sportage 2

And careful you don't go over £40000 with the higher specs.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - Will deBeast

PHEVs have always seemed rather pointless to me.

The complexity of an ICE engine, with the weight of a battery and motor.

The environmental impact of making and hauling all that around must be huge.

I'd rather people bought either an electric car, or a petrol one.

PS. Most people should probably just buy petrol for now. And government needs to get building some nuclear and tidal power stations - we've neglected our energy strategy for ~30 years.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - Trilogy.

PHEV = the best of both minus the worst.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - movilogo
  • ICE - no battery
  • HEV - tiny battery
  • PHEV - large battery
  • EV - jumbo battery

Choose the battery size you are comfortable with :)

Personally I'd choose either ICE only or HEV.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - Terry W

Full EV can work, particularly if usage means limited potential range anxiety, 2nd car in household, ability to charge on drive cheaply etc.

PHEV is best and worst of both worlds - materially lowers the cost of local journeys, at the expense of significantly increased complexity and purchase cost.

HEV is a way of using a small battery and motor to compensate for an ICE set to maximise economy rather than performance. Low additional cost and complexity.

IMHO now is not the time to change cars unless unavoidable due to high purchase prices for which high trade in value do not compensate.

For me ICE/HEV is CURRENTLY the optimal solution - no range issues and cheapest purchase option - although lease/PCP rates may skew the conclusions.

Most new cars acquired privately are on lease or PCP deals - the decision can be re-assessed when it comes up for replacement.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - Sofa Spud

Last year about 30% of our electricity came from totally renewable sources - wind (25%) and solar (5%). 30 years ago that figure was about 0%. It's a pity that tidal barrages or lagoons have been abandoned as they would have been an additional and predictable source of clean, renewable electricity.

I don't think the extra weight of PHEVs is much of an issue since they are more economical than their pure petrol or diesel counterparts. Anyway, lots of people have been lugging extra redundant weight around in their cars for years. Think of all the 4x4 SUVs that people own with all the extra weight of unnecessary 4 wheel drive. Or all the powerful cars with unnecessarily large engines.

Kia Sportage phev cost - Taking the P in phev... - Oli rag

I think that full EV’s are getting better all the time and (cost aside) would suit most people.
If you want real world range and long journey reviews, look on YouTube to a guy called Richard Symonds, who has a channel called rsev. His reviews show that long journeys are fairly easily achieved, and charging ( especially if using Tesla superchargers) can be completed whilst the driver has a comfort break and a coffee. Some of the latest Audi and Korean cars charge at an even faster rate than a Tesla.