What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Warning

I came across a guy with a Mercedes, who somehow discovered it has been clocked.

In the first 3 years of ownerhsip, no one can relaly tell is a car has done 20,00 or 80,000miles.

With cars are at peak prices, it is even more tempting for people to do this.....

Should they check the mileage at MOT centres every year?

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Crickleymal

They do check the mileage at the MOT. If you go to the MOT check website www.check-mot.service.gov.uk you can get the MOT history of any car and see the mileage recorded at the time of the test.

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - RT

I'd suggest that the biggest issue is with cars up to 3 years old, to avoid excess mileage charges on PCPs and leases - so too late to start checking once an MoT is needed.

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Xileno

Yes this is what concerns me - what happens in the years before the first MOT. Then I remembered this useful thread from earlier in the year www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=160068

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Andrew-T

In the first 3 years of ownership, no one can really tell if a car has done 20,000 or 80,000 miles.

If a car has done 80K miles it should have had at least 4 services. If there is no evidence to show that, best left alone. If it has done 20K in 3 years, likewise - if there is no service history, best left alone. Most cars of that age reappear from dealers, and if they or the previous owner (or lessor) can't be bothered to keep useful documents, that car loses some resale value.

If the OP is suggesting that cars should have MoT checks from year 1 to validate mileage, a nice idea, but I can't see it catching on.

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - RT

In the first 3 years of ownership, no one can really tell if a car has done 20,000 or 80,000 miles.

If a car has done 80K miles it should have had at least 4 services. If there is no evidence to show that, best left alone. If it has done 20K in 3 years, likewise - if there is no service history, best left alone. Most cars of that age reappear from dealers, and if they or the previous owner (or lessor) can't be bothered to keep useful documents, that car loses some resale value.

If the OP is suggesting that cars should have MoT checks from year 1 to validate mileage, a nice idea, but I can't see it catching on.

The unscrupulous owners who are cheating on their PCP/lease mileage excess are probably also cheating on the service schedule.

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Will deBeast

I believe that BMWs update the mileage on the key each time it is used. Years ago, when taking my car in for a service, they just read the mileage from the key.

In these days of much more connected vehicles, it should be simple to update a central record each time the car is used. I'm sure some will complain on privacy grounds, but it seems sensible to me.

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - Bolt

I'm sure some will complain on privacy grounds, but it seems sensible to me.

thats only if your details are given as well as the car miles, but then your sim card gives more info than that during transmission.....

Recording Mileage every year to protect consumers? - J0HNuk

Pointless doing a yearly 'mileage MOT' as those that clock them would, I imagine, time the clocking before the mileage check, just like they time it before services and normal MOT's.

I don't believe the mileage of any car unless I've had it from new, or know and trust the person who has.

The answer is to physically and technologically make it as hard as possible to tamper with the car's mileage, and make it illegal to do so.