What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best reliable economical used car for £6-7k - Beckree

Hi all, looking for some advice on the best used car for a relative. Needs to be reliable, economical to run but still decent to drive and not too much of an ‘older person car’!

Budget is £6-7k but that doesn’t seem to get you much at the moment. Car will be mostly used for shortish journeys around town and some short motorway trips. Looking for petrol, <£30 tax and something that will last a good few years and looks decent. Any suggestions appreciated

Best reliable economical used car for £6-7k - badbusdriver

What is an 'older persons car'?

Just cars that are typically favoured by the older market and often very small and lacking any power. My relative has turned 60 and is conscious of buying a car that will age them! Looking for a compromise between smaller and cheap to run but also enjoyable to drive.. something a bit more substantial than C1 or Micra for example. She quite likes the DS3 but only some versions have cheap tax and there are hardly any around

Just cars that are typically favoured by the older market and often very small and lacking any power. My relative has turned 60 and is conscious of buying a car that will age them! Looking for a compromise between smaller and cheap to run but also enjoyable to drive.. something a bit more substantial than C1 or Micra for example. She quite likes the DS3 but only some versions have cheap tax and there are hardly any around

I am a window cleaner and have many older customers. I can't think of any who drive, for example, a Honda Jazz (a car very much associated with older drivers). I can think of quite a few who drive Audi's, BMW's and Merc's (including 2 seat convertibles). SUV's, saloon cars, estate cars, hatchbacks are all types of cars I regularly see older drivers in, so I personally don't associate any particular car with them (up until a few years ago, my 70 year old aunt drove a VW Scirocco). And while I do often see older drivers driving slowly, I don't often see that happening in lower powered cars.

BTW, speaking from personal experience, the Citroen C1 is great fun to drive!.

Also confused that your friend likes the DS3 but wants something more substantial than a Micra, given the Micra is the bigger of the two?

Re the cheaper road tax, unless your friend wants a car older than 31/3/2017, you are going to struggle there as the tax band prices were changed due to ever more cars falling into the £0-30 groups.

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/03/2022 at 16:12

I think it’s because the DS3 is a bit more sporty and younger looking. Perhaps it is a stereotypical view of cars but I think the main thing is it needs to be enjoyable to drive and not as tiny as the C1 but still cheap to run and very reliable. Just looking for suggestions of what would be the best models to look out for in this price range.

Pre 2017 is fine.. we are assuming the budget will mean age around 2014-16 anyway

I think it’s because the DS3 is a bit more sporty and younger looking. Perhaps it is a stereotypical view of cars but I think the main thing is it needs to be enjoyable to drive and not as tiny as the C1 but still cheap to run and very reliable. Just looking for suggestions of what would be the best models to look out for in this price range.

Pre 2017 is fine.. we are assuming the budget will mean age around 2014-16 anyway

The problem, even with pre 2017 tax change cars, is that the cheaper rates will mostly correspond with less powerful engines (or diesel). But assuming a reliable car is purchased, I wouldn't base my decision on it having a £30 or under tax rate. Even going up as far as group F, the sixth group (141-150g/km), the direct debit will cost less than £15 a month.

Going back to the DS3, after looking on Autotrader, there seems no particular shortage of them with the 1.2 (110bhp) Puretech engine (£20 tax). Worth pointing out there is some question mark over the reliability of this engine though.

Closest alternative I can think of might be the 3 door Seat Ibiza 1.2TSI (105bhp). Like the DS3, this uses a 1.2 turbo petrol. Tax seems to be £30 and, apart from earlier chain drive examples of the engine, reliability is good.

Ignoring the Tax issue, the Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport springs to mind. This uses a non turbo 1.6 making 134bhp. Tax is group F as mentioned above, but they are very reliable. Just be careful it hasn't been thrashed in a past life with a boy racer behind the wheel. So check for accident damage, kerbed wheels etc.

There is also the Fiesta, but the 1.0 Ecoboost engine ideally wants to be avoided. Because of that, I'd be looking at the 1.6 3 door made up to 2012. I know that is older than maybe you'd want, but like the Suzuki, they are very reliable. The same care needs to be taken avoiding ex boy racer cars.

With image in mind, you could also look at an early Audi A1 3 door. At this budget, pickings will be slim and at least 10 years old, and I would also be wanting to confirm any TSI engined version was belt drive rather than chain (the Ibiza I mentioned earlier could be as young as 2015)

Final offering is the Vauxhall Astra GTC (don't write it off till you've seen it). Very sporty and sleek looking, the 1.4 turbo petrol gives 120 or 138bhp, but both sit in tax band E.

Thanks for your suggestions

There have been very few DS3s coming up anywhere near us with the right specs and they go quickly. The Seat Ibiza is on our shortlist but I think it is just out of budget as the few that do come up in our price range tend to have high mileage so again slim pickings. Fiesta is also anoption but just seems a bit more basic than the others. The Swift is one we haven’t thought about so will definitely add that to our list of possibilities, thank you

Any thoughts on Kia Rio or Hyundai i20 as potential options?

Any thoughts on Kia Rio or Hyundai i20 as potential options?

Perfectly decent cars, but you wouldn't describe them as being 'enjoyable' to drive.

Best reliable economical used car for £6-7k - SLO76
I’d shortlist the following, Ford Fiesta 1.25 petrol (avoid the 1.0 Ecoboost), Mazda 2 1.5 petrol, Mk IV Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 petrol and Suzuki Swift 1.2 petrol. All are good to drive and totally dependable. I’d buy on condition and history but If all things were equal a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec would be on my drive.