What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - Trilogy.

Nothing in the news on HJ about this. So Autocar comes to the rescue yet again!

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/kia-ev6-named-...2

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - Engineer Andy

To be fair, this was only just announced - Andrew English over on the Telegraph only recently (last week) published an article there saying which order he thought (he is one of the many judges) the nominated cars should go in. He got the winner right.

Not exactly a great field to choose from though (another contender was the KIA's sister car from Hyundai). No surprise that an EV won as well.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 01/03/2022 at 13:11

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - alan1302

Nothing in the news on HJ about this. So Autocar comes to the rescue yet again!

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/kia-ev6-named-...2

You would expect AutoCar to have new about this seeing as they are one of the companies involved in the awards...

Well doen to Kia on the win...even 10 years aao I don't think anyone would have thought they would have come so far.

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - mcb100
I spent an hour last week in and around the second placed car, the Megane E-Tech.
Yet to drive it (that should be later this month), but it looks great in the metal with a classy interior.
A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - badbusdriver

Well doen to Kia on the win...even 10 years aao I don't think anyone would have thought they would have come so far.

Dunno about that Alan, by 2012 the results of Kia poaching Audi designer Peter Schreyer was very much turning Kia's image round. We had the third gen Rio, arguably the best looking supermini of its time and very much the equal of the competition save the Fiesta (dynamics) and Polo (interior quality). Second gen Ceed kicked off in 2012 and the same comments apply to it re the competition. We were two years into the lifespan of the third gen Sportage which was massively popular, to the extent that the fourth gen (in 2016) didn't change its looks very much at all.

Wouldn't really put too much stock in the results though. Going by what I read, the competition is very much like the automotive version of the Eurovision Song Contest!.

Dunno about that Alan, by 2012 the results of Kia poaching Audi designer Peter Schreyer was very much turning Kia's image round. We had the third gen Rio, arguably the best looking supermini of its time and very much the equal of the competition save the Fiesta (dynamics) and Polo (interior quality). Second gen Ceed kicked off in 2012 and the same comments apply to it re the competition. We were two years into the lifespan of the third gen Sportage which was massively popular, to the extent that the fourth gen (in 2016) didn't change its looks very much at all.

Wouldn't really put too much stock in the results though. Going by what I read, the competition is very much like the automotive version of the Eurovision Song Contest!.

Parent company Hyundai also poached (presumably another German) the head of the BMW M division, et voila the i30N was born.

Now all they need is to poach a few of Mazda's stylists before Toyota get their mitts on them due to the hybrid/EV tie-up and they're sorted.

The Euro makes, Americans and Japanese should now be very worried at how the likes of KIA and Hyundai are improving their cars whilst offering better warranty terms. All they need is that last bump in performance/handling and styling and they'll be at the top of the tree.

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - Ethan Edwards

Well one thing to know is Australia no longer has any home grown auto manufacturing. Kia / Hyundai market share looked to be enormous. Is that our future here?

Well one thing to know is Australia no longer has any home grown auto manufacturing. Kia / Hyundai market share looked to be enormous. Is that our future here?

Don't see why it would - the market and manufactuing are very different in Australia. In the UK cars made here have a large population and then can easily and cheapy be exported into Europe.

Austtalia has a much smaller local market and more costly to export.

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - expat

I seem to remember that Ford won Engine of the Year for the three cylinder Ecoboost engine. We all know how that went. Lets wait for a few years and see how the Car of the Year goes before we get too excited.

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - nellyjak

I remember the Rover dealership I worked for taking on a secondary Kia franchise...around 1995 I think.?

They were very much cheap and cheerful then...and sounded as rough as heck and certainly no frills of any kind.

Amazing to see how they have come on since...they've done so well .

When I checked this morning there was still no mention of COTY, just UKCOTY - which I expect few have heard of and care even less about.

When I checked this morning there was still no mention of COTY, just UKCOTY - which I expect few have heard of and care even less about.

The winner's announcement article (World COTY) in the Telegraph was published on 28th Feb, a couple of days after the 'contenders review' article I mentioned above.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 03/03/2022 at 21:53

Why would this site publish details of a rival reviews website?

No expectation.

No expectation.

So why mention it again?

You're wasting your time.

A KIA first - winner Car of the Year 2022 - John F

I seem to remember that Ford won Engine of the Year for the three cylinder Ecoboost engine. We all know how that went.

Only the sub-one litre engine class IIRC; not a lot of competition.