What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus flat battery - Xileno

I thought the battery on my old Focus might be on the way out a few weeks ago, the starter motor seemed a bit slower than usual. Anyway after two weeks idle, this morning it was almost flat, just a very slight bit of life but amazingly it started so I was able to go off to Halfords and buy a new one. When fitting it later in the morning, I noticed the old one was a Ford brand, I don't recall replacing the battery and don't think I would have paid dealer prices either so assume it was the same one it left the factory with in November 2006.

Seems highly impressive to me. Can anyone better that life for a battery?

Focus flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes, recently posted the history of my 2002 BMW e46. The battery is original (it’s date stamped) . It needs charging every few weeks, but the car is not in regular use. It’s not dead yet . (Jim)
Focus flat battery - Trilogy.

Flat battery? My late dad bought a brand new flat one, I expect more than once. :-)

BTW, the 1998 Saab 9-3 we had in the family since 2002 was on the original battery until just before I sold it last autumn.

Edited by Trilogy. on 26/02/2022 at 20:07

Focus flat battery - Xileno

Twenty years, that's amazing. Usage pattern must play a part in lifespan, too many short journeys can't be good.

Focus flat battery - John F

.... I noticed the old one was a Ford brand, I don't recall replacing the battery and don't think I would have paid dealer prices either so assume it was the same one it left the factory with in November 2006.

Seems highly impressive to me. Can anyone better that life for a battery?

Life of battery seems like luck of the draw. 2006 must have been a vintage year. My records show I had to replace the (presumably) six year old battery in our Focus in 2006 - and it lasted till 2020. No idea what brands they were but, like wine, I don't usually buy the cheapest - but not the most expensive.

Focus flat battery - Andrew-T

<< Life of battery seems like luck of the draw. 2006 must have been a vintage year. >>

We had this discussion a few months ago. The original battery in my Pug 207 (early 2008) lasted 13 years - I decided to change it as it had shown signs of tiredness without actually failing to do its job, in case a harsh winter was coming.

Focus flat battery - Bolt

We had this discussion a few months ago

when I was a mechanic a long time ago many new batteries failed within months of fitting and never any reason for failure, and as mentioned, just your luck

My Daughters Honda Jazz when new, 2016, the battery failed 2 days after getting the car, battery was new as well but no idea why it failed, salesman came to us to replace it.

Focus flat battery - Steveieb

Seem to remember there being a problem with some Jazz batteries which were so underrated in capacity , they could easily fail.

But isn’t this the same with some Asian replacement batteries ?

Anyone remember the Blue Star batteries around in the seventies. Rebuilt from ones exchanged , so very eco friendly and you could afford to uprate the capacity to help your Ford get started in cold weather .

Focus flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Blue star, Dagenite batteries and busbars and screw down filler plugs . Where have they all gone .?
Focus flat battery - Big John

I think the battery in my previous 2003 mkI Skoda Superb lasted nearly as well. I've asked the current owner but he said he got many years out of the battery after I sold him the car in 2015 and can't remember the date it was changed but he still thinks of it as a new battery although he thinks it was just before Covid etc. The original battery fitted was a Varta.

The battery in the replacement 2014 mkII Superb didn't last as well - it expired after the first lockdowns towards the end of 2020. The original fitted to this car was a Moll stop/start battery.

Edited by Big John on 27/02/2022 at 21:17