What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Indicators - HGV ~ P Valentine

Drivers risk £5,000 fine and nine penalty points for simple indicator mistakes (msn.com)

I think this article is a bit OTT, but I bring this up because of things I have seen whille out in the truck, and confirms for me that new drivers automatically have a handicap because INSTRUCTORS ARE NOT TEACHING THEM RIGHT.

1 ~ Cars from the same school both coming onto a main road, both have to turn left or right as there is no way of going straight on, yet neither of them are teaching the pupil to indicating their intent.

2 ~ In the truck, reverse lights on, working lights on ( orange beacon ) & hazard lights. waiting for cars to pass before reversing into a side road to park up for a delivery with the crane, 3 instructors giving lessons and not 1 of them indicating to go around this vehicle despite having to go on the wrong side of the road.

And wrong indicaters on roundabout all day. On a drivers CPC course the majority of drivers did not know how to use their indaters correctly on a standard roundabout, and on the same roundabout did not know they had to leave enough room for 2 cars to go side by side. I can only assume instructors taught them to do that as well.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 23/02/2022 at 11:39

All - Indicators - badbusdriver

Don't understand what you are saying re the first point. But, if the road from the school is a single lane (each way) road, who would they need to indicate to?. Makes no difference to the traffic on the road they are waiting to get on to. And any traffic behind them can't get out till the first car has, so makes no difference to them. If there is two lanes to get out of the school road and there is no option to go straight ahead, then clearly the left lane is to go left and the right lane to go right, so again I don't see why indicators would be needed.

As for the second point, personally I would be indicating to pass the truck, but the instructor may be saying, "where else are you going to go except past the truck". And if there is nowhere else to go, why indicate?. Of course if the learner driver is dithering, an impatient driver behind may decide to pass just as the learner driver pulls out. I bring this up because when I passed my bus test, the examiner remarked afterwards that, after passing another vehicle on a dual carriageway I indicated to pull back into the left hand lane. He said I didn't need to, "where else are you going to go?". Don't agree with that myself though.

Roundabouts?, well yes, that does seem to be a particular problem for many drivers regarding proper use of indicators. But on the specific point of leaving enough room for two cars to go side by side?. First, there are plenty of roundabouts where that simply is not possible. Secondly, if there are no markings on the roundabout to indicate two separate lanes, drivers can't really be blamed for not behaving as of there were.

Also, it isn't fair to have a go at the instructors for, "NOT TEACHING THEM RIGHT". Instructors are themselves instructed on whatever new method is deemed appropriate (whether right or wrong in your opinion). So if you want to have a go at someone, whichever governing body is responsible for deciding the instruction methods now used should be where your ire is directed.

All - Indicators - Gibbo_Wirral

I wouldn't worry about it. Its just a clickbait headline to draw you in.

All - Indicators - Andrew-T

Don't understand what you are saying re the first point. But, if the road from the school is a single lane (each way) road, who would they need to indicate to?.

It might be of interest to traffic approaching from the exiter's left (far carriageway) to know that the car is 'only' turning left so is unlikely to cross unexpectedly ?

The worst examples are trailers or caravans that have had their lights wired incorrectly, to give reversed signals.

I always wonder why anyone joining from a slip road bothers to signal >>> as there is no other choice - it can only mean Let Me In (please) ?

All - Indicators - RT

I always wonder why anyone joining from a slip road bothers to signal >>> as there is no other choice - it can only mean Let Me In (please) ?

It draws the attention of drivers on the mainline, some (not all) are totally oblivious of anything around them.

All - Indicators - Brit_in_Germany

The lane departure warning gives me ample incentive to indicate when about to cross any white line. Depending on the circumstances, no indication can lead to what feels like a forceful application of the brakes, not just a steeing wheel judder.

All - Indicators - Manatee

I've never been comfortable with the "no need to signal if there is no benefit" principle despite undergoing advanced instruction and using Roadcraft.

I can't decide what is of benefit to another driver, who might not even be visible at the point I make the decision. A redundant signal is fail-safe.

Even moving left after overtaking - not usually necessary, but it can be helpful in terms of timing if there's a small speed difference, i.e. "I'm doing it now...".

I always put the right indicator on if passing a parked vehicle or waiting behind one to do so - I've been passed inappropriately by too many unobservant steering wheel attendants.

As for roundabouts - many don't give helpful signals, especially those "turning right" who often still have the right indicator on as they leave the roundabout.

Many also signal far too late - and I also hate it when the first action, before even looking, of people pulling out for the kerb is to indicate right. What happened to mirror, signal, manoeuvre? If somebody's right indicator goes on as I am about to pass, they get a warning use of the horn.

Edited by Manatee on 23/02/2022 at 14:23

I've never been comfortable with the "no need to signal if there is no benefit" principle despite undergoing advanced instruction and using Roadcraft.

That is probably my biggest bugbear of the way new drivers are taught (I say new drivers, but I think this has been the case or at least 20 years now!). And for me, there was one particular place where this method showed up to be flawed and treacly got on my wick when I was driving buses. Heading north out of a small town, the road goes uphill to a small roundabout with two exits, (basically a T junction but with a roundabout rather than a stop/give way sign). The view to the right is hampered by an embankment, and by the fact that the road both curves gently to the right, and goes downhill. Vehicles coming from the right can't see if anything is approaching the roundabout from their left until they are pretty much at the roundabout (so according to current methods, they don't need to indicate). I'd be coming up the hill driving a heavily laden bus wanting to turn right, i'd just start to pull on to the roundabout when a car comes zooming into view from the right. The car isn't indicating, so I have to jump on the brakes assuming they are going straight on, which is fair enough if they are, but more than 50% of the time, they'd be turning left.

All - Indicators - Terry W

Making a habit of signalling has the benefit that signalling is never forgotten when important.

But on 50%+ of occasions it is unnecessary - eg:

- when pulling out from side road, road positioning defines intention

- motorway exit, although a courtesy to drivers behind who do not want to slow down

- obvious when passing stationary vehicles, unless you also want to stop

All - Indicators - sammy1

"""- motorway exit, although a courtesy to drivers behind who do not want to slow down"""

The most dangerous part of the motorway entry and exit so indicators are essential in my view and so is any other form of deviation. So many drivers these days cannot be bothered indicating anywhere!

All - Indicators - Andrew-T

Making a habit of signalling has the benefit that signalling is never forgotten when important.

Another 'nuisance' is the absent-minded activation of an indicator two or even three exits before the one intended (obviously not on a M-way). I'm sure that habit has caused a lot of annoyance, if nothing worse.

All - Indicators - Engineer Andy

Another 'nuisance' is the absent-minded activation of an indicator two or even three exits before the one intended (obviously not on a M-way). I'm sure that habit has caused a lot of annoyance, if nothing worse.

A lack indicating of or not cancelling them is a real annoyance to me as well, as is (as you say) people who signal (say on roundabouts) too early.

I often found that bus drivers (sorry BBD, no offence intended, just personal observation when using omnibuses over the years in Londinium and surrounds) didn't cancel their indicators after pulling away from a bus stop.

You have to wonder sometimes how people pass their driving tests.

I often found that bus drivers (sorry BBD, no offence intended, just personal observation when using omnibuses over the years in Londinium and surrounds) didn't cancel their indicators after pulling away from a bus stop.

Not making excuses here Andy, but I drove plenty of buses who's indicators didn't self cancel, and/or didn't make any noise. Also, dashboard warning lights may not be particularly visible, especially on a sunny day.

I remember having a minor prang in a bus right after starting my shift on it because after turning right at a junction and straightening the wheels, the indicator didn't stop at self cancellation, it actually knocked the left hand indicator on (and there was no indicator noise)!. A car pulled out from a road on the left because I was indicating to turn up that road.

All - Indicators - mcb100
Becoming an ADI is hard work, with a practical driving test tougher than that of the IAM, and a test of instructional ability that doesn’t give you any leeway for poor driving practice. There’s then a periodic check test to ensure standards are being maintained.
To say that an ADI doesn’t know how to use, or train in the use of, indicators is nonsense.
Speaking as a former ADI and IAM member.

Edited by mcb100 on 23/02/2022 at 21:23

All - Indicators - focussed
Becoming an ADI is hard work, with a practical driving test tougher than that of the IAM, and a test of instructional ability that doesn’t give you any leeway for poor driving practice. There’s then a periodic check test to ensure standards are being maintained. To say that an ADI doesn’t know how to use, or train in the use of, indicators is nonsense. Speaking as a former ADI and IAM member.

Same here - you have just written what I was thinking.

If the self-appointed driving "experts" on here only knew what we had to go through to qualify as a ADI they wouldn't write such rubbish.