What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - mowerman

I’m 76 in April so for the second time applied to renew my license online in January.
The DVLA website shows a 10 week + processing time by which time my license will have expired. According to DVLA document INF188/6 I can continue to drive even though I will not hold a current physical license providing the DVLA received my application but one of the conditions is that my doctor must have told me that I am fit to drive. I can’t see my GP, I’m prevented from having a ‘phone appointment and the practice don’t respond to emails! Where to from here? Thanks.

Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - RT

Have you phone DVLA to ask?

Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - Bromptonaut

I assume the GP issue is Covid related.

If they're not engaging consider using their complaints procedure.

Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - badbusdriver

Why are you prevented from having a phone consultation with your Doctor?.

I've just recently got my own license back after nearly 5 months. Sent it off along with relevant documentation for eye test and medical. Got a letter back after a couple of months saying the Doctor had filled in the form wrong(!), so had to get that rectified and sent off again.

But no problems doing a phone consultation at my local health centre, and they respond quickly to online inquiries.

Why are you prevented from having a phone consultation with your Doctor?.

They only accept phone appointments for the day you call and every time I call they are fully booked so have to try again the following day - with the same response.

Have you phone DVLA to ask?

Yes and their answerphone says "owing to the number of enquiries they are unable to accept any more calls. Thank you for calling"

Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - badbusdriver

They only accept phone appointments for the day you call and every time I call they are fully booked so have to try again the following day - with the same response.

Does your health centre/surgery have an online service?. If so, that is where I'd be trying next.

It may be the case that if you phone, you can only make a (phone) appointment for that day. But you may be able to make a phone appointment for a later date by using their online 'e-consult'.

My wife and I have both successfully used this service for our local health centre a few times since covid started.

Mercedes e220d Cabriolet - Driving without a physical license - John F

...... one of the conditions is that my doctor must have told me that I am fit to drive. I can’t see my GP, I’m prevented from having a ‘phone appointment and the practice don’t respond to emails! Where to from here? Thanks.

Hard to believe. If true, change your GP, or lodge a complaint with their contracting health authority. Anyway, who is going to check? There was a recent thread about someone who has been driving without a licence for several decades!

Thanks folks. License eventually arrived today.