Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - Older99

Simple question I guess

For longevity ie 2-3 years trouble free motoring and for £2k would you choose ( presuming both have good history , both around 90k miles and 12 months MOT )

a) Ford C-max 1.8 Petrol 2007 ish

b) Mk2 Honda CRV 2.0 VTec around 2004ish

Thanks

Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - SLO76
Forget an SUV at this money, stick with simple two wheel drive petrol hatchbacks. The C-Max is just a Focus underneath and the 1.8 petrol is a robust Mazda L series design but it can use a fair bit of oil so check it regularly. Rust is the biggest killer with these, but find a solid example and they’re good news. Don’t rule out a 1.6 petrol, they’re a bit slower but the Yamaha designed motor is very hardy and a bit better on fuel. Avoid the diesels.

I’d open up your search a bit though, at this money you need to cast the net wide to find a good cheap car. Mazda 3/5/6, Ford Focus/Mondeo/C-max, Toyota Auris, Corolla, Avensis, Verso, Honda Civic, FRV, Accord and a tidy Astra or Zafira is worthy of a look too.

As always thanks for your advice

Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - thunderbird

Forget an SUV at this money, stick with simple two wheel drive petrol hatchbacks.

The C-Max was not an SUV, it was a medium MPV. Mechanically identical to the Focus and built on the same floor pan so just as simple and should be just as reliable.

We tried one in 2008 when we were changing the wifes 2002 Focus diesel, the C-Max seemed like a good ides for about £1000 more (new prices). Interior space was good, boot space was good and the drive was fine considering its extra height but there the good parts stopped. The seats were poor with little support (we were looking at Zetec trim) and the interior plastics were almost van like in quality. It was incredibly noisy probably because the engine was partly under the dash (the flimsy joke of a rear parcel shelf probably did not help) and folding the rear seats needed the strength of an an Olympic champion.

Just buy a Focus hatch or if you need extra space the estate. Either with a 1.8 petrol motor is excellent (we had one for 10 totally trouble free years), in comparison the 1.6 much loved on this forum seemed lacking in drivability.

Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - badbusdriver

Forget an SUV at this money, stick with simple two wheel drive petrol hatchbacks.

The C-Max was not an SUV, it was a medium MPV. Mechanically identical to the Focus and built on the same floor pan so just as simple and should be just as reliable.

We tried one in 2008 when we were changing the wifes 2002 Focus diesel, the C-Max seemed like a good ides for about £1000 more (new prices). Interior space was good, boot space was good and the drive was fine considering its extra height but there the good parts stopped. The seats were poor with little support (we were looking at Zetec trim) and the interior plastics were almost van like in quality. It was incredibly noisy probably because the engine was partly under the dash (the flimsy joke of a rear parcel shelf probably did not help) and folding the rear seats needed the strength of an an Olympic champion.

Just buy a Focus hatch or if you need extra space the estate. Either with a 1.8 petrol motor is excellent (we had one for 10 totally trouble free years), in comparison the 1.6 much loved on this forum seemed lacking in drivability.

Depends on what you want. As both cars the OP is looking at are tall, that's probably what he wants. I'd also prefer a taller car given the choice.

The 1.8 may be the better motor, but within the OP's budget, on Autotrader the 1.6 outnumbers the 1.8 four to one, and for £2k, you really can't be too picky. That the 1.6 is often recommended to folk on a budget is more to do with it being reliable and easy to find, rather than it being much loved.

“ The C-Max was not an SUV, it was a medium MPV”

I am fully aware of this, I was referring to the Honda CRV the OP was asking about. I dismissed buying a more complex, greedier and more costly to repair SUV then went into detail on the Focus hatchback based C-max, which I believe can be an excellent cheap used car.

I know I havent got much to spend but is the C-max that agricultural and noisy as has been mentioned. We would be using for trips to Cornwall etc so I would hate to think we would all get their with a headache or our bodies shaken to the bone ?

I know I havent got much to spend but is the C-max that agricultural and noisy as has been mentioned.

IMO, no.

We would be using for trips to Cornwall etc so I would hate to think we would all get their with a headache or our bodies shaken to the bone ?

My mate used to have a 1st gen C-Max 1.6 petrol which I was in a few times. Didn't find it particularly noisy myself, nor did I have any issue with the seats or comfort in general, but I guess it could depend on what you are used to.

I know I havent got much to spend but is the C-max that agricultural and noisy as has been mentioned. We would be using for trips to Cornwall etc so I would hate to think we would all get their with a headache or our bodies shaken to the bone ?

They’re absolutely fine. Possibly there’s a bit more road noise but I can’t say I’ve ever found a C-max to be uncomfortable or agricultural. Not sure why this was said. Possibly if you were used to a Rolls Royce or Bentley you may gut complain. If it’s particularly noisy there may be a worn wheel bearing, something that’s quite common with Fords of this vintage. It’s not an expensive fix.

They’re absolutely fine. Possibly there’s a bit more road noise but I can’t say I’ve ever found a C-max to be uncomfortable or agricultural. Not sure why this was said.

I said it because that is what we found, but I never used the word "agricultural". We had owned 2 Mk1 Focus for a total of 16 years when we test drove the C-Max TDCi (a demonstrator not a thrashed used car of many years abuse) and the lack of refinement compared to the Mk1's and Mk 2 we already owned was very noticeable. We stepped out of it and into a Mk 2 Focus TDCi with exactly the same engine and trim and it was a just like the Mk 1 but IMHO slightly better, we expected this since we already owned a Mk 2 but that had the 1.8 petrol engine.

But its clear that things have moved on. Our 2018 Fabia 1.0 TSi is way more refined than any Focus was (petrol or diesel) despite being from a class below.

Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - Topdude

I can't make any comment about a C-max but i have owned a Mk2 CRV for 3 years.

I find it very comfortable, not too noisy, good driving position, lots of room inside, versatile roomy boot area and good handling for an SUV. Tough as old boots and an utterly reliable workhorse.

Down side is cost of ownership, high road tax band and low 30s MPG (petrol manual).

For comfort, space and versatility i would recommend one to anyone.

Ok based on the advice so far

What about an MPV such as a touran or zafira vs Mk2 CRV

If the MPG is in the low 30s avg thats not a big problem but obviously reliability is ?

Ok based on the advice so far

What about an MPV such as a touran or zafira vs Mk2 CRV

If the MPG is in the low 30s avg thats not a big problem but obviously reliability is ?

I would stick with the C-Max for your budget, with 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 petrol. Any MPV has the potential to be noisier than a saloon or hatchback simply because of the bigger space for noise to echo and amplify in. Don't go just on what Thunderbird says on the C-Max, try one to see what you think. I can't imagine for a minute that a Zafira or any other similar car is going to be noticeably quieter.

CRV's are very reliable cars, but at £2k it is probably going to be worn out and knackered.

If the seat being high isn't a major factor and you find a C-Max too noisy, think about a Mondeo. Should provide as much space as you need, but also should be quieter and more refined.

Don't go just on what Thunderbird says on the C-Max, try one to see what you think.

When we were changing back in 2008 we tried a Skoda Octavia as well. Bigger than a Focus, well equipped and loved by the press but to be honest that test drive was even worse than the C-Max. After owning a Golf with a 90 PS 1.9 TDi for about 6 years and finding it really good we expected the 110 PS version in the Skoda to be even better but it was a slug, nothing like the earlier engine. And the Octavia was even noisier than the C-Max.

Many people bought C-Max's and Octavia's but many more bought plain Focus's, perhaps its not just us.

The 2 2008 Focus's we had (1.8 petrol and 1.6 TDCi) were owned for a total of about 22 years, great cars.

Edited by thunderbird on 10/02/2022 at 17:32

On Autotrader, there are 56 owners reviews of the 1st gen C-Max. While not all the reviews were favourable, none mention excessive noise (quite a few mentioned being impressed with its comfort and refinement) and only two cite the seats as being uncomfortable. Here is one quote:

"This is, for me, the perfect car. If you're tall, tend to have back problems or both, try a C-Max. The driving position is upright, there's loads of knee and leg room, lots of space in general and the design is thoughtful. Took my 92-year old, semi-disabled father for a trip and he pronounced it the most comfortable car he can remember travelling in. It's quiet and smooth, although when I get another one, I will go for a little more power, as the 1.6 petrol is a little underpowered on a long trip with a full load. It's averaged 43mpg over 3000 miles though. It is definitely the easiest car I have ever come across to get in and out of. Excellent seats - I never want to get out of the car once I'm settled! Delighted with it, wouldn't swap it except for a newer and slightly more powerful version of the same. If you can find a low-mileage example, snap it up, they're a steal!"

When we were changing back in 2008 we tried a Skoda Octavia as well. Bigger than a Focus, well equipped and loved by the press but to be honest that test drive was even worse than the C-Max. After owning a Golf with a 90 PS 1.9 TDi for about 6 years and finding it really good we expected the 110 PS version in the Skoda to be even better but it was a slug, nothing like the earlier engine. And the Octavia was even noisier than the C-Max.

I worked at a VW dealer in the early noughties and drove every version of the 1.9 diesel from 64bhp n/a (actually my wife had a Polo with this engine when we got together, cracking car!) to the 150bhp Golf GT TDI. With the most common versions I drove being the (pre-PD) 90 and 110bhp, along with the 100, 115 and 130bhp PD TDI`s. In no cases did any of them feel slower than a version with less power, so maybe there was a problem in the Octavia you tried limiting its power.

Many people bought C-Max's and Octavia's but many more bought plain Focus's, perhaps its not just us.

Not sure why you think this is relevant?.

A sub £2k CRV is likely to be rotten underneath. I’d avoid, your money won’t go far with an SUV.

Thanks again for that

Not a lot said about the Dacia Logan yet. I could up my budget to £3500 and get 7 year old one and I had heard the 1.5dci is very robust and can do very high miles

Are they ok ?

Used C-Max vs Mk2 CRV - Big John

Thanks again for that

Not a lot said about the Dacia Logan yet. I could up my budget to £3500 and get 7 year old one and I had heard the 1.5dci is very robust and can do very high miles

Are they ok ?

How many miles a year will you be doing and where do you live? A 7 year old diesel will be fitted with a DPF which will not like low mileages and at 7 years old probably won't be euro 6 so may fall fowl of clean air zones that are popping up all over the country - worth checking though as some diesel cars were euro 6 by that age. Modern diesel engined cars don't age well and can incur large repair bills.

Thanks again for that

Are they ok ?

They can be if you had more money to spend but £3500 today will only buy one well over 100,000 miles and these are cheaply built cars which are often treated as appliances and neglected. You can’t afford an economically viable diesel.