What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - mondeoman2013

Hi,

My elderley mother has decided to give up driving and asked me to sell her car.

It is a Fiat Panda Pop 1242 CC 13 reg , with just under 14,000 miles on the clock

It was bought as a 'pre reg' with 5 miles on the clock and has led a sheltered life.

I have 2 invoices for servicing, most recently 2020 and for a cambelt change in 2021

MOT history is very clean.

The car has never had any problems and the bodywork is generally very good , but there are a couple of faint scratches to passenger side doors which i think would polish out. I tried some t-cut which improved but not removed the marks.

Any suggestions on value given the condition, history and mileage ?

Thanks

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - SLO76
I’d try local dealers and car buying services to see what they’d offer. I suspect they’ll see it at £2500-£2800 and it would be an easy sale rather than advertising it privately and having to deal with all the i****s and scammers. If you do try to flog it yourself I’d put it on at £2995 Ono and expect £2800. I’m valuing it based on it having a limited service history (2 services in 9yrs) and the couple of scuffs you mention. If it was perfect and had a full history I’d put it on at £3495 Ono.

Bit of a fan of these wee cars me, I’d be tempted myself if I was in need of a small car.
Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - Brit_in_Germany

If it is in yellow my brother might be interested.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - Chris M

I'd stick it on Gumtree with a realistic price based on what else is on there. Never had any problems selling and this is an ideal 1st car for someone. Buying privately people shouldn't expect a car to have been polished and preened excessively. Just give it a good wash and vacuum and it won't hang around long at the right price.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - mondeoman2013

Thanks for all the feedback.

It is red unfortunately.

I'm busy trying to get the scuffs polished out and replacing a couple of the wheel trims which are scratched.

I was thinking of trying to sell it using motorway.

Has anyone experience of using them, trustpilot reviews are encouraging.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - daveyK_UK
Hi,
Does it have two or three seat belts in the back?

Some owners paid the small upgrade to make it a 5 seater and these are worth more, it’s worth pointing that out if it’s the case.

If it has 3 in the back I know some who may be interested.
Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - badbusdriver
Hi, Does it have two or three seat belts in the back? Some owners paid the small upgrade to make it a 5 seater and these are worth more, it’s worth pointing that out if it’s the case. If it has 3 in the back I know some who may be interested.

There 43 2013 Panda's currently for sale on Autotrader, none of which are listed as being 5 seaters. Hardly anyone is going to pay extra for a 3rd rear seatbelt on a car which is not really big enough to carry 3 on the rear seat. For that reason, I think it unlikely that 5 seat versions are going to carry a premium over the 4 seaters (though I have not looked into the prices to compare like for like).

I certainly agree that having the 3 rear belts is handy to have, just in case. But if (as seems to be the case) your friend needs a small car which can seat 5, there are better options. But if, for whatever reason, the car has to have 5 seats and be as small as a Panda, then both Hyundai i10 and Kia Picanto come with 3 rear belts as standard. Suzuki Celerio does too, but I think you'd struggle to get into one of them for £3k.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - daveyK_UK
Hi,
I have personal experience of knowing someone who searched far and wide for a 5 seater Panda and the dealer was clued up and priced the car accordingly.

I don’t disagree there are better small 5 seaters.

Some people simply like pandas !
Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - badbusdriver
Hi, I have personal experience of knowing someone who searched far and wide for a 5 seater Panda and the dealer was clued up and priced the car accordingly. I don’t disagree there are better small 5 seaters. Some people simply like pandas !

Fair enough!.

But given the scarcity of 5 seat Panda's, might be worth looking into whether it is possible to retro fit the centre rear belt?. Presumably the mounting points are already there (on the 4 seat versions)?.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - Big John
might be worth looking into whether it is possible to retro fit the centre rear belt?. Presumably the mounting points are already there (on the 4 seat versions)?.

On Mrs BJ's Panda you couldn't do that. It has 50/50 split fold seats.

It's a narrow car so would be very tight indeed for three across the back.

Edited by Big John on 04/02/2022 at 09:35

Thanks.

Unfortunately it is the 2 seatbelt version.

Just to update on how things went.

I decided to try motorway.co.uk and the experience was very positive.

I went onto their website on Monday afternoon, took photos and uploaded details. The car was sold, paid for and collected on Thursday at a price my mam was very happy with.

I put the details into a well known car buying service and was given a price within 30 seconds, with a headline price of £3385 , given it had a few imperfections and processing fees I guess I would have got £3000 at best.

A similar company based locally offered £100 more but again before inspection.

Motorway initially valued the car at £3500 and then at £3400 when i described imperfections.

They auction the car within their dealer network and I got a best bid of £3938 subject to matching the description. The dealer arrived 2 days later having travelled 150 miles or so and was very reasonable. He pointed out a couple of minor imperfections I'd missed and we agreed that the one of the scratches i'd mentioned would need paint rather than polishing and we quickly and amiably agreed to discout the price by £100.

He paid online and drove the car away.

I guess a car bought by a car buying company for £3000 probably costs a trader £4500 at auction, so all parties gain from the deal.

My dealings with motorway were fine, they answered all calls and kept me informed at each stage. I guess the caveat is that they don't actually buy the car , they introduce you to the dealer who buys it. In my case the dealer was prompt, and easy to deal with. He was an established independent dealer with a single site premises.

It is a bit like an ebay auction but within a controlled environment with serious buyers who have been vetted in some way.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - Xileno

Thanks for coming back to update us. It looks a perfect outcome, all sides happy. Sounds like someone will be getting a good car.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - Chris M

Perhaps the OP could keep an eye on the dealer's website and report back what the car is advertised for. Obviously it may not sell at the screen price but with good, and not so good, cars selling at record amounts it would be interesting to see the mark up.

Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - SLO76
That’s an amazing result, really strong money and an easy sale, you can understand why so few bother to try selling privately these days as you would’ve had a load of hassle and no way you’d’ve got such a good price. Well played. Great wee car for someone.
Fiat Panda POP 1242CC - Low mileage Fiat Panda - what is it worth - johncyprus

A friend also did very well with motorway. He sold an excellent 2007 60k Volvo V50 through them. A lovely car with the T5 turbo petrol engine however we thought it would be undesirable because it came within the punitive £590 RFL band.
A trader bought it for £3,400 my friend was delighted he was expecting around £1,500. Apparently the whole transaction was stress free.