What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - _

Got a mate who has a Zafira on its last legs, and soon be too old for taxi use here in Colchester.

He is getting on too and now just does his mostly regualar oldies locally.

He asked me about a sandero, I have suggested a stepway.

He is thinking of brand new with 3 months wait either model.

Your thoughts, slo ?

He does look after them mechanically ..

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - badbusdriver

Bit small for a taxi surely?. It is quite big for a supermini, but it is still a supermini. Though I guess if he Just has his regular customers and feels the Sandero Stepway is big enough for his needs.

It has a 3 year warranty as standard, but thatch be extended to 5 for not that much money, so if he reckons the size is enough, why not?.

I'd have though the (imminent) new Dacia Jogger would be a better replacement for a Zafira though.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/01/2022 at 18:40

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - brum

The (Dacia) Warranty does not cover:
........lots of things including.....
- Fleet, vehicles that are used for hire or reward (e.g. taxi or driving tuition), for road-racing, rallying, or any other competitive event.

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - _

I'd have though the (imminent) new Dacia Jogger would be a better replacement for a Zafira though.

+£5.000..

The (Dacia) Warranty does not cover:
........lots of things including.....

- Fleet, vehicles that are used for hire or reward (e.g. taxi or driving tuition), for road-racing, rallying, or any other competitive event.

Of course, should have guessed!.

Is this the same for all cars then?. And if so, are there companies who offer warranties for cars used as taxi's?.

I'm not sure I'd have an awful lot of confidence in running a new Sandero Stepway 1.0TCe as a taxi with no warranty to speak of. A Duster with the n/a 1.6 maybe?. For about a grand less than a new Sandero Stepway (which start just under £12k) you could get a 2019 Duster 1.6SCe.

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - pd

I think all vehicles should be covered by the the legal minimum which is 2 years if I recall correctly.

However anything beyond that is down to the manufacturer and they can impose whatever conditions they like including dealer servicing, use etc.

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - SLO76
Wouldn’t touch one as a taxi, it’s far too small and fragile, plus I’d be surprised if a 1.0 supermini fit the councils requirements to start with. The previous shape estate version the Logan was often used as a taxi with the comparatively robust 1.5 diesel motor but that’s not even an option on the new model unless I’m mistaken and I’d be less than pleased if one turned up to take me and my 6ft 6 farming buddies to the pub. It’s just not suitable as a taxi.

There is one no brainer that springs to mind though, the Toyota Auris Hybrid, particularly the useful estate. These are mechanically bombproof and I’ve just checked and Toyota’s new 10yr, 100,000 mile warranty is valid on private hire vehicles as long as it’s serviced with a Toyota dealer. It’ll be an older car but a 5yr old Auris with 50k up will still be running reliably when a brand new Sandero is nothing more than baked bean cans, especially after a life of private hire work.

Much depends however on local authority regulations regarding the initial age the car can be (I know, it’s another utterly stupid made up council rule) as our local council states that it can’t be more than three years old when first being registered as a taxi. This may rule it out on cost. If it does then I still wouldn’t buy a Sandero here.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201131316673

Edited by SLO76 on 30/01/2022 at 21:31

Another great taxi option would be the final Ford Mondeo as long as he avoided the Powershift auto and opted for the tough PSA 2.0 diesel which is a much more robust engine than the 1.5 yet still decent on fuel. These are vast inside, great to drive, cheap to run and will do 250k if correctly cared for.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201091158500

Edited by SLO76 on 30/01/2022 at 21:41

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - daveyK_UK
My local Dacia dealer gave me an update on the Jogger

Pre orders before March get a free years servicing

UK delivery expected from June

Current Uk expected prices start from £15k with 3 trims planned all with 7 seats

However a 5 seater version will be introduced which will have a huge boot, should be £1k cheaper and will come in mid spec only

The 5 seater version likely to be popular with the private hire taxi trade as it will be a replacement for the Dacia Logan MCV estate with an even bigger boot (more height).

PCP offer will mirror the APR that is offered on other Dacia models (currently 5.9%)

All Dacia models currently a 12-14 week wait, this will reduce as they move into the autumn and winter.

Be interesting to see how well the 1.0 motor stands up if it is permitted by local authorities, many of which still require a minimum engine capacity on taxis. I don’t think it’ll stand up well and certainly past small capacity petrol turbos from Renault have proven to be rather fragile. There is a 1.6 hybrid due in 2023 however that may appeal to private hire fleets.
Be interesting to see how well the 1.0 motor stands up if it is permitted by local authorities, many of which still require a minimum engine capacity on taxis. I don’t think it’ll stand up well and certainly past small capacity petrol turbos from Renault have proven to be rather fragile. There is a 1.6 hybrid due in 2023 however that may appeal to private hire fleets.

You can already get a variety 1.6 hybrid Renaults, so not clear on why Dacia are being held back till next year.

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - daveyjp

I've seen a few Dacia Sandero taxis local to me. If all he is doing is local trips it will be large enough for a couple of passengers, which will be majority of trips. If he spends time doing airport runs it may not be.

However if I was spending hours sat in a car every day the primary consideration would be seat comfort and if a manual how smooth is the gear change and clutch action. I'd try and sit in one which has 50,000+ on the clock and see how well the seat ahs stood up to the mileage. Nothing worse than a seat which becomes uncomfortable. I has it on a Mk1 Focus at 50k and needed to get rid as it was unbearable.

Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - daveyK_UK
I was recently in a private hire Dacia Logan with 200k on the clock, although it was the diesel.

They driver was happy with it.
Dacia Sandero 2022 - Question for Slo76.... Fit for a taxi? - Xileno

Several rattle around in my local town as well, they seem popular with taxi companies and the Renault 1.5 diesel is tough. I don't think this model is available anymore.