What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - HGV ~ P Valentine

The hidden costs of charging an electric car at home (msn.com)

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - sammy1

I am still trying to educate myself about the cars so will graduate to the chargers later or err should it be the other way around! (joke)

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Terry W

The article is mostly (not entirely) complete garbage. A few houses may need significant expenditure - most will spend between £7-900. About the savings made in the first year on fuel for the average driver.

Most homes will have the capacity to run a 7KW charger from their existing incoming supply with a new connection to the consumer unit required.

In context - 7KW is about what an electric shower or oven/hob consumes. At this rate most EVs will comfortably charge overnight.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Tester

As has already been noted, this article is essentially nonsense. I had a 7 kW home charger installed last year (for £600 after the grant was taken into account) and there was no problem with the supply -- as you would hope, given that even at full blast the charger draws less current than our 9.5 kW shower! (Note that the car regulates charging so that it does not always go at 7 kW.)

As for the cost of the charger, look at it in this 'back of an envelope' way. The electric car is doing about 3.5 miles per kWh in the winter (naturally, it was rather more when the weather was better). On my current electricity tariff, that means the 'fuel' cost is 5p per mile in round numbers. Let's be cautiously pessimistic and suppose that it will double to 10p per mile when my fixed rate tariff ends in a couple of months.

For comparison, my turbo petrol (non-hybrid) Toyota Auris averages around 40 mpg in winter. With petrol around here being £1.50 per litre, that means a fuel cost of 17p per mile. So, even with my pessimistic assumption about future electricity prices, the saving of 7p per mile would pay for the charger after about 8,600 miles, which is is only slightly more than my projected annual mileage for the electric car.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Andrew-T

I had a 7 kW home charger installed last year (for £600 after the grant was taken into account) and there was no problem with the supply -- as you would hope, given that even at full blast the charger draws less current than our 9.5 kW shower! (Note that the car regulates charging so that it does not always go at 7 kW.)

It is simple (perhaps simplistic) to compare a 7kW charger with a 9kW shower. But remember that a shower is in use for maybe 10 mins tops, while a charger may be in use for 10 hours, meaning a current (regulated by the car) generating heat in the main supply cable, which may be fairly old at some properties. Added to the normal domestic load during the day, that cable may be working nearly full time. Worth considering perhaps.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Terry W

You are quite right that it is a simplistic comparison - only used to provide a consumption order of magnitude for the possibly ill informed.

If all cars in the street suddenly go electric there will be a problem with the mains supply - this is most unlikely to happen overnight.

The load on the network should be monitored, and upgrades planned accordingly. Time/price charging regime will encourage charging when demand is otherwise low.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Engineer Andy

As has already been noted, this article is essentially nonsense. I had a 7 kW home charger installed last year (for £600 after the grant was taken into account) and there was no problem with the supply -- as you would hope, given that even at full blast the charger draws less current than our 9.5 kW shower! (Note that the car regulates charging so that it does not always go at 7 kW.)

As for the cost of the charger, look at it in this 'back of an envelope' way. The electric car is doing about 3.5 miles per kWh in the winter (naturally, it was rather more when the weather was better). On my current electricity tariff, that means the 'fuel' cost is 5p per mile in round numbers. Let's be cautiously pessimistic and suppose that it will double to 10p per mile when my fixed rate tariff ends in a couple of months.

For comparison, my turbo petrol (non-hybrid) Toyota Auris averages around 40 mpg in winter. With petrol around here being £1.50 per litre, that means a fuel cost of 17p per mile. So, even with my pessimistic assumption about future electricity prices, the saving of 7p per mile would pay for the charger after about 8,600 miles, which is is only slightly more than my projected annual mileage for the electric car.

I think this MSN 'article' is a repost of the Telegraph article we were discussing not too long ago on a related thread on EVs, etc.

As such, it maybe worth holding off duplicating all the (old) arguments back and forth, possible closing / amalgamating this thread with the other one(s) - there are quite a few other than the one specifically where I also referred to the Telegraph article.

Just a suggestion.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Xileno

If you have any suggestions which thread makes sense to merge this one with then I will have a play tonight. And hope I don't lose the lot as there's no Undo button! I can copy each post into the Mod's forum as a sort of backup first.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - madf

It's the DT (I have a - cheap- digital subscription).

Anything the DT writes tends to make the Daily Mail look truthful.

Electric Cars Only - Extra Cost ?? Maybe - Engineer Andy

It's the DT (I have a - cheap- digital subscription).

Anything the DT writes tends to make the Daily Mail look truthful.

Now, now. :-)

In terms of motoring reporting, I think all the legacy media (including car magazines) have dropped in quality by some way over the last 20 years or so as The Interweb has increasingly taken over in terms of news and reviews, mirroring that for journalism quality more widely.

In the past, I would've defended the DT more robustly, but in recent years (especially in the last 2-5), their quality has declined considerably, except for a few staff. That being said, I don't think their 'Fleet Street' rivals are any better, just different at best.

I think this particular article was poorly researched, which sadly is quite typical in motoring journalism these days.