What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Comparing car sizes side by side - movilogo

This website allows you to compare dimensions of any 2 cars side by side.

www.carsized.com/

Edited by movilogo on 09/01/2022 at 13:19

Comparing car sizes side by side - badbusdriver

www.automobiledimension.com

This one, which I've used for years, allows you to compare 3

Comparing car sizes side by side - Engineer Andy

This one, which I've used for years, allows you to compare 3

Is this a modern day Top Trumps?

Use both at once on a widescreen monitor (stack the tabs/windows) and you can compare 5! ;-P

Nah-nah-ne-nah-nah. :-)

Comparing car sizes side by side - movilogo

It does not align and superimpose the cars though.

Comparing car sizes side by side - alan1302

It does not align and superimpose the cars though.

Not good for me the superimposing as it does not have my car on their site! LOL

Comparing car sizes side by side - RT

www.carsized.com/

Comparing internal sizes would be much better - cars vary widely in their space efficiency and external sizes is a small part of the story.

Comparing car sizes side by side - badbusdriver

Comparing internal sizes would be much better - cars vary widely in their space efficiency and external sizes is a small part of the story.

Quite agree. The wheelbase is a good indication of the internal space, but that ultimately depends on the proportions of the car. If the car appears to have a longer bonnet than is normal for the class of car (Mazda 2?), the interior space, certainly in the back, can be smaller than the wheelbase might suggest. But also things like knowing how much space there is under the back of the front seats would be useful as this can also make or break the possibility of a taller person sitting in the back of a smallish car.

Looking at the new Toyota Aygo a couple of months ago I was disappointed when I saw the rear seat space on offer. I was even more disappointed when I discovered that the overall length and wheelbase was virtually identical to our Suzuki Ignis. In relation to its size, there is a huge amount of rear seat space and it would be entirely feasible to have one 6 footer behind another. So I don't accept Toyota's excuse that the type of buyer for that type of car doesn't need rear seat space. Just lazy designing IMO, and at the very least they could have put in sliding rear seats like the Ignis has.

Comparing car sizes side by side - Engineer Andy

www.carsized.com/

Indeed - I found that when testing out the gen-3 (2014-19) equivalent of my gen-1 (2004-09) Mazda3, the later car, despite being larger on the outside (admitedly it hadn't grown as much as rivals over the same period), it seemed far more 'cosy' on the inside, especially up front.

More gadgets and gizmos, more side/front impact protection and/or safety components taking up space, perhaps? Maybe the smaller windows and (seemingly) lower roofline made some difference in making it 'look' smaller inside.

My 90s Micra was VERY airy (higher roofline than both the later cars) in comparison (especially with the big windows all around), albeit without the centre console width my later Mazda has. Not anywhere near as safe in a crash though.

Comparing car sizes side by side - Ian_SW

I saw a photo recently on another car forum, where there was a Kia Picanto parked in between two EV6s.

An American poster to the forum had asked "what's that car in the middle? It looks like a child's toy!"

It showed to me just how unnecessarily big most of today's cars have become. The Picanto will seat 4 adults in reasonable comfort, carry a few bags in the boot and happily drive all day at the motorway speed limit.

The EV6 (which isn't exceptionally big compared to other similar competitors cars, and could equally have been a Sportage for a more direct ICE to ICE car comparison) doesn't actually do a whole lot more. Ok, it could carry 1 more passenger, a bit more luggage and is probably a bit more comfortable overall. But there is an awful lot more car and cost in achieving what most people don't actually need.

That "Tiny" Picanto is still about the same size as a Mk1 VW Golf, which in its day wasn't considered a particularly small car....