What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
EV in the north east - sammy1

With thousands of homes still without an electric supply in the north what good is your electric car here? It is 9 days since the storm Arwen hit and with climate change forecast to give us more of the same should we be putting all our eggs in the same basket by going electric. Maybe our vital infrastructure should be underground instead of on flimsy wooden poles.

EV in the north east - daveyjp
Petrol stations also need power to operate.
EV in the north east - thunderbird

2 months ago when there were long queues at filling stations (many were closed) electric car owners were having the last laugh.

Don't suppose there is the perfect car.

EV in the north east - Ethan Edwards

In the US a Tesla powerwall. It stores solar pv power. Gives you a couple of days power to your home or charge your EV. So the technology is there. Its hugely expensive but there. The thing is that in this country long term power outages are vanishingly rare. Its like if you lived in the tropics making sure you own a snow plough.

EV in the north east - Engineer Andy

In the US a Tesla powerwall. It stores solar pv power. Gives you a couple of days power to your home or charge your EV. So the technology is there. Its hugely expensive but there. The thing is that in this country long term power outages are vanishingly rare. Its like if you lived in the tropics making sure you own a snow plough.

I bet it takes up a considerable amount of space. That's still the wonder of fossil fuels - so much higher energy dense than battery systems, at the expesne of all those nasty emissions and obvious safety issues surrounding storage of liquid fuels.

Sadly neither option is useful for those of us living in flats or small houses with little storage space.

As regards power outages, in my area of NE Herts/Cambs/Beds border we have quite a few over the last 10 years, though not because of snow or stormy weather for the most part - the two biggest ones have been because area substations have spectacularly expired (boom!):

One set off a chain reaction shutting off 2/3rds of the power down the A505 corridor over a 20 mile stretch, encompassing 4 towns, the other, just in my town, shut off half the town for two days and caused a section of underground cable to catch fire.

EV in the north east - Metropolis.
A plug in hybrid owner could limp along for a while even if both circumstances occurred at once, if they are lucky enough to have a full charge or full tank already.
EV in the north east - Xileno

We could bury all the cables in the ground but at huge cost to the bill payer for what is hopefully a rare weather event. If these storms become more common then we might have to reassess.

Petrol stations also need power to operate.

Indeed - when I was last on holiday back in 2019, the local supermarket's filling station suffered a power failure on the day I drove down and it was utter chaos in town, as there's only one other filling station in the area.

Similarly when my local Tescos filling suffered a collapsed roof - big queue again at the Esso filling station next door.

Someone in today's Telegraph Letters recounted a tale when they were a kid of a similar winter storm, necessitating their dad to buy a petrol generator. He's now dug it out again decades later (still works, apparently) in case of power cuts this winter.

I bet those still who have log fires at home are grateful that they have kept them, despite the push for them to go for environmental reasons. Apparently even people in very green Norway still have them at home in case the leccy goes out.

I am very surprised the government or the electrical companies are not doing something about it in the short term, how hard would it be to hire some industrial generators, park them in the street and have long cables going to each house, provide some electric oil filled heaters and jobs a goodun.
EV in the north east - RT
I am very surprised the government or the electrical companies are not doing something about it in the short term, how hard would it be to hire some industrial generators, park them in the street and have long cables going to each house, provide some electric oil filled heaters and jobs a goodun.

Not for 10,000 homes !

EV in the north east - Bromptonaut

Reports I've heard have referred to generators but not sure if they're provided by the power companies. I suspect that providing street sale genny back up would have all sorts of safety considerations.

The power companies do have generators, they're used when replacing street sub-stations for instance - but they won't have them in the numbers needed.

EV in the north east - FP

To judge from his posts on this forum, Sammy does love to have a moan about things.

FP - respectfully, your post is a bit of a moan in itself. At least Sammy posted a topic of interest and motoring related. Your comment is an unnecessary jibe.

Back to the topic at hand, I am reminded of this, power cuts Texas style: www.thedrive.com/tech/40695/the-electric-ford-f-15...e
FP - respectfully, your post is a bit of a moan in itself. At least Sammy posted a topic of interest and motoring related. Your comment is an unnecessary jibe. Back to the topic at hand, I am reminded of this, power cuts Texas style: www.thedrive.com/tech/40695/the-electric-ford-f-15...e

Sammy is OP in multiple threads which are, to put it mildly, 'glass quarter full' over EVs. He comments in the vein when others are OP. Little of what he says, not least in this thread, stands up to analysis.

"FP - respectfully, your post is a bit of a moan in itself. At least Sammy posted a topic of interest and motoring related. Your comment is an unnecessary jibe."

It was a comment about the general tone of one person's posts, that's all.

I'm sorry it wasn't directly related to motoring.

To judge from his posts on this forum, Sammy does love to have a moan about things

I take it you do not live in the NE.. It is hardly a moan. Storm Darwen was almost akin to the hurricane that Michael Fish missed and hit the south not that long ago. If comments were not so personal on this forum may be it would attract a lot more sorely needed contributors

EV in the north east - Bolt

To judge from his posts on this forum, Sammy does love to have a moan about things

I take it you do not live in the NE.. It is hardly a moan. Storm Darwen was almost akin to the hurricane that Michael Fish missed and hit the south not that long ago. If comments were not so personal on this forum may be it would attract a lot more sorely needed contributors

1987, I remember it well, dodging trees and debris trying to get to the workshop as we had loads of new cars going out, where we expected a flattened shop it was intact and stood up well, new cars stored in a field had been severely damaged, most had repairs done including vinyl roofing put on to cover the dents of branches

I assume Darwen is a miss type for Arwen.

Are you in the NE of either England or Scotland Sammy?

EV in the north east - alan1302

It's your usual negative spin on any EV vehicles/news - no matter what you look at the negative. Maybe more positivity is what the forum needs? Much like life itself.

It's your usual negative spin on any EV vehicles/news - no matter what you look at the negative. Maybe more positivity is what the forum needs? Much like life itself.

I say we need a bit more realism rather than positivity. EVs will undoubtedly work well for some people in certain circumstances, which are slowly widening as the technology improves, prices reduce, etc.

That being said, they aren't a panecea and often are not recommended for most people, whether because of their driving pattern/locale, but mainly capital/maintenance budget and type of home they live in or job/mileage they do.

The problem is that, as with many issues these days, the debate (especially in current times with most of not in the best frame of mind, often couped up at home and/or with nothing much [new] to do or to talk about) often quickly polarises (and more than most of us would personally want) and decends into, well, less than fruitfull antics.

Saying that, I think things have improved here and elsewhere over the last month or so on that score.

With thousands of homes still without an electric supply in the north what good is your electric car here? It is 9 days since the storm Arwen hit and with climate change forecast to give us more of the same should we be putting all our eggs in the same basket by going electric. Maybe our vital infrastructure should be underground instead of on flimsy wooden poles.

It's a pretty exceptional event and there will surely be an inquiry as to how the damage occurred and why putting it right is taking so long. This particular storm seems to have blown from a different direction than the normal prevailing west quarter. I wonder if that played havoc with infrastructure that was designed to mitigate for the westerlies?

As already pointed out electric outages stop the pumps at the filling station as did the panic buying lunacy in September.

I'd also suspect that the homes remaining disconnected are mainly in small rural communities and even individual farmsteads. Provided folks have enough charge to get to the nearest supermarket or whatever with charging points then they'd be OK.

I don't know about NE Scotland but the West and Islands have a surprising amount of on street charging infrastructure.

Thinking about it I am not going to worry about electricity outages or petrol shortages.

Since the early 70's I can only recall 3 times when the pumps have been short of fuel which were the early 70's, 2003 and September just gone. In truth all 3 were caused by panic buying and in each case it never stopped us going anywhere needed, in 2003 we even went on holiday.

In my whole life I can only remember one occasion locally when the electricity was off for more than a few hours max. Think it was November 1989, an unexpected and un-forecast foot of snow was dumped on us overnight which brought down power lines. Power back on 36 hours later but then the water went off for about 2 days since the reservoirs had run dry during the outage.

Since its obvious all these events are very rare in this country why would any government even consider trying to plan for them.

EV in the north east - Terry W

Increasing resilience costs money. Money that needs to be raised either through taxation or by reducing spend elsewhere. The magic money tree does not exist.

Extreme events occur once every few decades somewhere in the UK. Rarely do they have genuinely major impacts. They rank fairly low down on the priority list.

That overhead power lines mostly serving remote local communities came down and take a week or two to fix is not a national disaster, just a great nuisance for those affected.

There may be a case for a better organised immediate response - gas heaters, clean water, hot food etc but not much more.

Folk can make personal decisions as to how to plan for similar events - photo voltaic panels, battery back up, wood store for log fires, water tanks if mains goes down, non-perishable food stores (canned, dry etc), even toilet rolls!.

The alternative is to put £1-2000 in an emergency fund - if necessary go to a hotel.

EV in the north east - Andrew-T

Plan for similar events - photo voltaic panels, battery back up, wood store for log fires, water tanks if mains goes down, non-perishable food stores (canned, dry etc), even toilet rolls!.

The alternative is to put £1-2000 in an emergency fund - if necessary go to a hotel.

That's an interesting idea - assuming you are able to travel - if the hotel(s) are in a similar situation.

If many of the affected places are rural and isolated, their problem is the result of choosing to rely on leccy (much more convenient) at the expense of self-sufficiency, where earlier occupants would have prepared for a (perhaps literally) isolated winter.

Here in north Cheshire our leccy stayed on, tho a friend a few miles away lost his for several hours. Our only damage was three panes from the greenhouse, which on replacing I discovered had been carelessly assembled so that the structure was less rigid than intended.

EV in the north east - madf

We used to get frequent blackouts every year (Cheshire/Staffs border N of Stoke on Trent.). Cause was faulty earth cabling installed by MEB in teh area. Now largely resolved.

But I expect as we move to fewer fossil fuel plants and more solar/wind energy, blackouts will occur more frequently again.

No one has publicly commented but in the present most recent cold spell , renewable energy was under 30% of demand at night and gas/coal and nuclear were all flat out. All this talk of EVs and renewables and zero carbon is for the birds as far as energy generation is concerned without a MAJOR change in storage costs and capability which appears 20+ years away..

As for relying for heat pumps for home heating! As one lady said in Cumbia, they are going to strip them out ,install calor gas and a log burning stove.

Take this as a serious warning of things to come.

PS I have a small backup generator, battery backup for PCs, a portable gas stove and lots of rechargeable lanterns in preparation.

The National Grid plans that ALL EV charging will be via Smart Meter so it can be switched off at periods of high demand.!

The National Grid plans that ALL EV charging will be via Smart Meter so it can be switched off at periods of high demand.!

Very much doubt by the time everyone has an EV there wont be a time of low demand, too many cars around that want charging so the switch off could be a long time...

EV in the north east - Ethan Edwards

Those ev owners who installed "smart" chargers. Some did not , some will make their own decisions regarding charging.

Those ev owners who installed "smart" chargers. Some did not , some will make their own decisions regarding charging.

I would think electric companies would decide that if the charging rate is too high, not the people using the chargers the other problem as happens with high demand, power is reduced so taking a lot longer to charge

EV in the north east - galileo

I would think electric companies would decide that if the charging rate is too high, not the people using the chargers the other problem as happens with high demand, power is reduced so taking a lot longer to charge

I don't see how power can be 'reduced so it takes longer to charge' .

The only way to slow charging is to reduce voltage so that by Ohm's Law the current flowing through the circuit is reduced. I assume all the home charging systems are designed to take 240 Volt mains input, at lower voltage they may not charge at all.

Or have I missed something? I know by law the Grid has to control AC frequency so that within a 24 hour period the number of cycles has to be the equivalent of 50 cps, I guess there are also some limits on the voltage variation allowed?

Or have I missed something? I know by law the Grid has to control AC frequency so that within a 24 hour period the number of cycles has to be the equivalent of 50 cps, I guess there are also some limits on the voltage variation allowed?

230 volts

In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts.

I don't see how power can be 'reduced so it takes longer to charge' .

The only way to slow charging is to reduce voltage so that by Ohm's Law the current flowing through the circuit is reduced. I assume all the home charging systems are designed to take 240 Volt mains input, at lower voltage they may not charge at all.

I was under the impression if a lot of people used a lot of current/amps ie thousands turned on kettles and cookers at the same time the ampage is reduced, not voltage as that stays constant but due to reduced ampage the time it takes for a battery to charge in those conditions is longer than normal ??

I was under the impression if a lot of people used a lot of current/amps ie thousands turned on kettles and cookers at the same time the ampage is reduced, not voltage as that stays constant but due to reduced ampage the time it takes for a battery to charge in those conditions is longer than normal ??

I'm struggling to relate a reduction in amps but no change in volts with ohm's law.

Am I missing something?

I'm struggling to relate a reduction in amps but no change in volts with ohm's law.

Am I missing something?

I thought it was like water pressure, too many use the supply and flow slows down to each tap, the water is still flowing but under less pressure, or have I got that wrong ?

Am I missing something?

I thought it was like water pressure, too many use the supply and flow slows down to each tap, the water is still flowing but under less pressure, or have I got that wrong ?

Ohm's Law is the key here, the current flow is proportional to voltage (which is limited by law as pointed out above) and inversely proportional to the resistance in the circuit. If more users connect, the current flow will depend on total resistance, if the current passing exceeds the capacity then circuit breakers will cut power completely to one or more substations.

A simple example is if you turn on a lot of 2Kw heaters in your house you will eventually blow the main supply fuse, usually 30 amps, the system won't just gradually reduce amps to each of them.

Ohm's Law is the key here, the current flow is proportional to voltage (which is limited by law as pointed out above) and inversely proportional to the resistance in the circuit. If more users connect, the current flow will depend on total resistance, if the current passing exceeds the capacity then circuit breakers will cut power completely to one or more substations.

A simple example is if you turn on a lot of 2Kw heaters in your house you will eventually blow the main supply fuse, usually 30 amps, the system won't just gradually reduce amps to each of them.

The main fuse in most houses in 60amps. (ours is),

EVs require 100amps.

As for relying for heat pumps for home heating! As one lady said in Cumbia, they are going to strip them out ,install calor gas and a log burning stove.

... and log-burning stoves are now seen as one of the dirtiest emitters we can have :-)

EV in the north east - daveyjp

Friends who live near Rothbury have moved to a holiday let. They have no update as yet when power will be back.

In 2010 the UK generated 75% of electricity from coal, gas and oil. The rest came mainly from nuclear with just 6% from renewables.

In 2021, 11 years later, fossil fuels accounted for 40% of electricity generation with coal almost completely eliminated.

There are some real challenges to be overcome to get close to 100% renewables/nuclear - particularly storage and investment in generation. Widespread adoption of EVs which can be integrated into domestic energy management will be key.

Over the next 10 years it is entirely plausible that renewables and small scale nuclear will generate most energy. EV will replace ICE eventually - probably wholly by ~2045 - few s/h ICE available, fuel stations closing, lack of new spares, low emissions zones etc.

Historically these sorts of transition have happened rapidly:

• rail replaced barge for long distance transport over 25 years from 1825
  • 14 years for the electric tram to wholly replace horse drawn trams in London
  • ~2 decades for road haulage to replace most rail haulage post WW2.

EV in the north east - Ian_SW

To turn the whole original question around. If anyone in the areas affected by the power cuts had a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 they could be powering their house, (or at least a small electric heater, some lighting, their fridge freezer and TV) from the large backup battery parked on the drive. Vehicle to Load is still a fairly new thing for electric cars, but in the future should be able to provide at least some capacity to even out load on the power networks, as well as an emergency back-up option. The average house uses about 10kWh of electricity per day, and an EV battery is typically about 60-80kWh so it's not going to run out that quickly.

Admittedly they would have to drive it a few miles to a fast charger every couple of days but this would be equally as easy as going to get petrol for small generator and a lot less noisy.

To turn the whole original question around. If anyone in the areas affected by the power cuts had a Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq 5 they could be powering their house, (or at least a small electric heater, some lighting, their fridge freezer and TV) from the large backup battery parked on the drive. Vehicle to Load is still a fairly new thing for electric cars, but in the future should be able to provide at least some capacity to even out load on the power networks, as well as an emergency back-up option. The average house uses about 10kWh of electricity per day, and an EV battery is typically about 60-80kWh so it's not going to run out that quickly.

Admittedly they would have to drive it a few miles to a fast charger every couple of days but this would be equally as easy as going to get petrol for small generator and a lot less noisy.

Imo this should have been sorted with more urgency, had it been Kent or southern area, repairs would have been done quicker imo of course though there have been comments on radio about speed of efforts up north

"In 2021, 11 years later, fossil fuels accounted for 40% of electricity generation with coal almost completely eliminated."

Untrue and misleading..

I will rewrite it to be accurate:

"In 2021, 11 years later, fossil fuels accounted for 40% of electricity generation with coal almost completely eliminated in the summer BUT in winter due to the lack of solar and the unpredictability of wind power, fossil fuels including coal stations brought on line accounted for over 50% of electricity generation with renewables falling as low as 20% of demand at night. This situation starts around 5pm at time of peak evening demand and continues until 8am when solar starts to have an effect."

It is unfortunate that many people including politicians don't realise what a crock of rubbish our electricity system has become. You only need review the damage Ofgem has done to the economics of power and the constant downwards revision of UK electricity capacity and margin of safety to realise we are on a pathway to disaster. The shambles of nuclear power is a classic case of muddled priorities.

Edited by madf on 06/12/2021 at 11:52

EV in the north east - Sofa Spud

A small petrol generator would be a good standby. It could be used to (slowly) charge an electric car enough for local use or to run some home appliances in an emergency.

While this could be seen as defeating the object of moving to renewables, I don't think that would really be the case. The generator might only be needed during long power cuts that might only occur once in 10 years. But it would be wise to use it once or twice a year anyway to ensure it still works properly.

Well my short thread certainly generated a bit of interest. I fail to see that there was anything negative about EV except a dose of reality re the practicality of electric cars in the extreme conditions being experienced in the NE.

The firm responsible for the infrastructure have been working 24hours a day for the last 10 days to restore peoples supplies.. Think for a moment would this be possible with electric cars vans and plant ie JCBs and the like working round the clock. Authorities have also had to contend with snow drifts and ice Are there any Electric snow ploughs snow blowers etc able to deal with this and be available 24hours a day. The answer is no. And please don't say they are coming as the tech is a long way off for heavy plant.

The main question in my post WAS should we be putting all our eggs in one basket ie electrifying everything? We have had severe weather in the past but the question is not about weather alone it is about protecting our electricity supplies. Just imagine if the Grid does go down through bad weather, hacking the French connection or war even. We would be absolutely stuffed trying to move about. Where is the contingency for travel, road transport HGVs if this is where we are going?

Last but not least I am fed up with a few on here having a go at my so called stance on EV. I welcome EV if and when is becomes more practical. Please change the record and cut out the personal

EV in the north east - badbusdriver

Please change the record

Hmm,

How many threads have you started in the last year or two?. And how many of those have been about anything other than negative aspects of EV`s? (two of these threads in the last few months alone have even had the same title!). Answer that question and you may get closer to why comments may be made regarding your so called stance on EV`s. You may also understand why your plea to `change the record` is actually quite funny under the circumstances.

Please change the record

Hmm,

How many threads have you started in the last year or two?. And how many of those have been about anything other than negative aspects of EV`s? (two of these threads in the last few months alone have even had the same title!). Answer that question and you may get closer to why comments may be made regarding your so called stance on EV`s. You may also understand why your plea to `change the record` is actually quite funny under the circumstances.

Yes I see what you mean. It seems more like the end of free speech to me. EV is great lets all run out and buy one Overpriced, unproven, poor range, over priced chargers. poor charging network not as green as some would like to think. Being sold to the public by snake oil salesmen, the true pain is yet to be felt and my opinion is still in the majority, probably.

<< EV is great lets all run out and buy one Overpriced, unproven, poor range, over priced chargers. poor charging network not as green as some would like to think. Being sold to the public by snake oil salesmen, the true pain is yet to be felt and my opinion is still in the majority, probably. >>

Like Sammy, I have no objection in principle to EVs - they seem fine, like many other innovative and impressive inventions. I'm sure ICE-powered cars seemed just the same 100 years ago, and ordinary people yearned to be able to afford one. Some who couldn't, like my father, got a motorbike instead. Sadly for him, a fairly minor accident put him in hospital for about 18 months.

My problem with EVs is the source of the battery material. Colossal holes are already being dug in the Congo and other third-world places, which owners of EVs will never need to see or think about - and demand is only just beginning. Plus the fact that the Chinese probably have a good stranglehold as well.

Plus the fact that the Chinese probably have a good stranglehold as well.

Not so sure it will carry on though as some companies, names I cannot remember, say they cannot afford the losses on each car, as government apparently are not giving the subs they were..

if they are losing money how long can the others keep it up? the government now want to concentrate on Hydrogen trouble is its from coal which is defeating the object

" It seems more like the end of free speech to me. EV is great lets all run out and buy one Overpriced, unproven, poor range, over priced chargers. poor charging network not as green as some would like to think. Being sold to the public by snake oil salesmen, the true pain is yet to be felt and my opinion is still in the majority, probably."

Well, that piece of sarcasm certainly continues your anti-EV comments. The trouble is, in your scepticism you may actually have a point, but you're overdoing it.

Of course this is not "the end of free speech". It's been pointed out that you often sound pretty negative in your posts and that negativity is often directed at EVs. No-one is censoring you.

Yes I see what you mean. It seems more like the end of free speech to me. EV is great lets all run out and buy one Overpriced, unproven, poor range, over priced chargers. poor charging network not as green as some would like to think. Being sold to the public by snake oil salesmen, the true pain is yet to be felt and my opinion is still in the majority, probably.

I will itemise below all that is wrong in your diatribe.:

Err,, nothing.

But Boris is surely not a snake oil salesman. He sells peerages for £3million a time,

EV in the north east - Xileno

It is a polarising subject and everyone is entitled to their opinion, pro or anti.

I fall somewhere between the two in that for one car households I do not think we are at the point where EV are suitable but I have no doubt that will change over the next few years with advances in technology. That more than any reason is why I wouldn't get one yet, since there will be something better in a few years. For two car households they make a lot of sense as a second car, I know a few families who run Zoes or Leafs in addition to their ICE and are very happy.

JCB are working on a hydrogen engine so that might be the future for plant machinery:

www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/technology/jcbs-hydrogen-f...d

That more than any reason is why I wouldn't get one yet, since there will be something better in a few years.

I doubt it will change as progress is ongoing, though it wont be all mains powered cars, China is now making Hydrogen cars and using them but is experimental at the moment, though they run buses on it, I think JCB is on the right track and did say they could help others transform their fleets if asked... could even help cars move to it

Last 24 hours - just about the middle of winter - fossil fuels 52% of generation, coal accounted for just 3% (not quite eliminated!)

Lowest total demand was at 05.30 was 25.9GW. Renewables and nuclear provided 14.0GW, fossil fuels 12.9GW - we also exported 0.9GW.

I agree there are challenges to be overcome in generation, storage, and that the levels of spare capacity the UK once enjoyed have been eroded.

But the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel generation, just as coal fires in domestic settings were replaced by central heating during the 1960-1980s.

Last 24 hours - just about the middle of winter - fossil fuels 52% of generation, coal accounted for just 3% (not quite eliminated!)

Lowest total demand was at 05.30 was 25.9GW. Renewables and nuclear provided 14.0GW, fossil fuels 12.9GW - we also exported 0.9GW.

I agree there are challenges to be overcome in generation, storage, and that the levels of spare capacity the UK once enjoyed have been eroded.

But the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel generation, just as coal fires in domestic settings were replaced by central heating during the 1960-1980s.

From those figures, fossil fuels excluding coal accounts for 49% of generation (52-3) so the industry still has a long way to go to replace that completely with renewables / nuclear AND provide contingency for even colder weather.

EV in the north east - Sparrow

To try to answer the original question, the more eggs we have in the same basket the more unreliable thing will get in extreme circumstances. For example, would I want my home heating, cooking, car power all coming from electricity. I wouls say NO. In times of power outage I would be cold, translated as dead if old. I would not even be abke to drive to the pub, or that great institution of great warmth, the library.

Right now my house runs iff gas. If the electicity fails I can still run the hob, but not the heating ir the oven. I can run my wood atove to keep warm. I can slao gwt in my diesel car and go to a friend's house, ir just drive around and warm up.

To try to answer the original question, the more eggs we have in the same basket the more unreliable thing will get in extreme circumstances. For example, would I want my home heating, cooking, car power all coming from electricity. I wouls say NO. In times of power outage I would be cold, translated as dead if old. I would not even be abke to drive to the pub, or that great institution of great warmth, the library.

Right now my house runs iff gas. If the electicity fails I can still run the hob, but not the heating ir the oven. I can run my wood atove to keep warm. I can slao gwt in my diesel car and go to a friend's house, ir just drive around and warm up.

Make sure you have a good supply of matches kept in a fire-proof box then! :-)

I would be reluctant to use a gas appliance with no extractor fan though, and leaving a window open to dissipate the fumes and provide Oxygen for combustion and breathing would, in winter at least, not be conducive to keeping your home warm.

Not so bad if the unit has a natural flue like a fireplace.

I do recall some study in recent years saying that pollution within the kitchen space (with gas hob and/or oven) during cooking was akin to standing next to a busy road in rush hour if the extractor wasn't on and a 'make-up fresh air' supply (I use the small vents above my wondows when cooking or drying damp clothes, towels etc when needed) provided.

... my house runs off gas. If the electricity fails I can still run the hob, but not the heating or the oven. I can run my wood stove to keep warm.

We are in a similar position. Electric oven, c/h (combi boiler, so no hot water either), all sources of entertainment. And no wood stove or fireplaces. But as I said to my g-daughter the other day, she soon wouldn't be able to recharge her social media ....

EV in the north east - Gibbo_Wirral

I can’t charge my electric car cheaply because I’m too close to an RAF base

I can’t have Octopus Energy’s Go tariff because the meter would interfere with air force systems

www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/06/i-cant-charg...e

I can’t charge my electric car cheaply because I’m too close to an RAF base

I can’t have Octopus Energy’s Go tariff because the meter would interfere with air force systems

www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/06/i-cant-charg...e

Octopus just installed a new gas meter for me, it is a 'smart' meter but at my request they set it in 'dumb' mode.

The more I think about this the more astounded I am by the criticism of this post and the reaction to the OPs opinion towards electric vehicles.

Is it now taboo to be anti EV? Give it a rest people. We are (almost) all like broken records on the disadvantages of modern diesels, let’s not stifle debate when it comes to EVs.
EV in the north east - alan1302
The more I think about this the more astounded I am by the criticism of this post and the reaction to the OPs opinion towards electric vehicles. Is it now taboo to be anti EV? Give it a rest people. We are (almost) all like broken records on the disadvantages of modern diesels, let’s not stifle debate when it comes to EVs.

It's not taboo to be anti EV at all. Just surprising how much time the op spends posting stories about them and always finding any negative spin on the story they can.

The more I think about this the more astounded I am by the criticism of this post and the reaction to the OPs opinion towards electric vehicles. Is it now taboo to be anti EV? Give it a rest people. We are (almost) all like broken records on the disadvantages of modern diesels, let’s not stifle debate when it comes to EVs.

It's not taboo to be anti EV at all. Just surprising how much time the op spends posting stories about them and always finding any negative spin on the story they can.

Its all good discussion imo whether good or bad we all have a say so cant see what the problem is, and it wouldnt be the first comment made with negative vibes. Thats life

I would love to go electric but at present I am not willing to spend a large amount of money on a car that will potentially add large chunks of time when we go on holiday or trips to visit relatives. Planning your trip around the location of charging points only to find them not working on arrival is the stuff of nightmares for me. Just want to get in and go knowing we will get there.

Driving the test drive Corolla in town where it reverted frequently to silent electric mode was great and even on level bits of motorway it surprised us when the petrol engine shut off at 70 mph. Been in a mates plug in hybrid BMW several times now which is simply stunning running on the electric motor alone and he can get to his destination using good old petrol when needed. Told us the other day he has not put petrol in it since September, it really suits his journey lengths.

Plug in may be the way for us next year but its hard to justify even that when you consider the £6k extra over a petrol car of similar size/performance. I calculated it would take about 9 years to break even.

Its all good discussion imo whether good or bad we all have a say so cant see what the problem is, and it wouldnt be the first comment made with negative vibes. Thats life

What is it with all those negative waves?! :-)

youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

Odd Ball Classic!

EV in the north east - badbusdriver

youtu.be/0AEj3LA2vSo

;-)