What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - john hennigan

Is the fact that most electric cars are rear wheel drive have any effect on their driving stability in the snow and ice as it was before front wheel drive became the norm.

regards

john

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Ethan Edwards

You know there was a time when the majority of cars were rear wheel drive. When we used to have very bad winters indeed. Oddly enough we managed just fine. Your concerns are groundless if drivers use a little common sense.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - daveyjp

The time when most cars were RWD is almost half a century ago. The cars weighed about a tonne, had 40-70 bhp and tyres more suited to mountain bikes!

A modern EV weighs twice a 50 year old car and has potentially hundreds of horsepower. If you need to drive one in snow fit winter tyres.

Edited by daveyjp on 08/11/2021 at 14:51

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - badbusdriver

Is the fact that most electric cars are rear wheel drive have any effect on their driving stability in the snow and ice as it was before front wheel drive became the norm.

Are 'most' electric cars RWD?.

But ignoring that question, modern cars have such sophisticated traction/stability control systems, a powerful RWD electric car is not going to behave like a traditional RWD performance car unless said car has a 'drift' setting buried within the menu's. And for a non performance orientated electric car (regardless of how much power it has), that is highly unlikely.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Ethan Edwards

Yep I'm old and we managed just fine. I drove a Cortina 2litre S in the snow (many times) with zero problems.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Engineer Andy

regards

john

Get a decent set of all-season or (where the climate/weather demands) steel rims and winter tyres and I suspect most people will be fine.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Will deBeast

My Dad's rear wheel drive skoda estelle used to be just fine in the ice and snow. Indeed, he was often the only one able to get up a local hill. The reason: having the engine at the back.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Big John

I thought the Hyundai Ioniq5 was available with 4 wheel drive

Edited by Big John on 09/11/2021 at 11:14

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - badbusdriver

I thought the Hyundai Ioniq5 was available with 4 wheel drive

It is, but only the most powerful model. The the two lower powered versions are rwd.

Hyundai Ioniq5 - rear wheel drive electric cars - Smileyman

the key to successful driving in winter is having the right tyres. with inappropriate tyres even a 4 wheel drive will struggle. see tyrereviews.com for more information.