What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
LED Headlamp - MOT - autumnboy
If anyone fitted a LED bulb to their headlamps.

How would they be detected when the Headlamp has a Projector lens which controls the light beam pattern unlike the normal Headlamps where the bulb type can be seen and the beam is not controlled.?
LED Headlamp - MOT - elekie&a/c doctor
All headlights , whatever type, produce some kind of beam pattern . The mot headlight beam tester shows the type of pattern emitted. Aftermarket led bulbs give out a random blast of light that does not conform to any mot specs , so are an immediate failure. They are also not E marked or type approved .
LED Headlamp - MOT - mcb100
I was talking to an MOT tester about this last week, he said that if he can’t see the bulb, but it passes alignment tests, they are giving the benefit of the doubt as they can’t remove any covers to check bulb type.
I’m putting a pair in my car shortly, but going for expensive ones (£90+). I will have to remove them for MOT as they’re visible through the lens.

Edited by mcb100 on 30/10/2021 at 12:19

LED Headlamp - MOT - Bolt
I was talking to an MOT tester about this last week, he said that if he can’t see the bulb, but it passes alignment tests, they are giving the benefit of the doubt as they can’t remove any covers to check bulb type. I’m putting a pair in my car shortly, but going for expensive ones (£90+). I will have to remove them for MOT as they’re visible through the lens.

Highly possible the reason why there are so many headlamps aimed wrongly, blinding oncoming traffic without knowing it, ie the beam pattern is wrong because of using LED bulb

Cost doesn`t mean a lot with LEDs as they can still be made in China but charge a fortune for in effect rubbish, as there are so many around, some rarely last very long either but thats a risk you take

The use of China as a criterion is a little spurious, seeing as they are producing lots of high quality products, including the iPhone upon which I’m typing this…
I’m not going for a brand that is new to me, they’ll be Osram or Philips from a reputable retailer.
LED Headlamp - MOT - elekie&a/c doctor
Nothing wrong with Philips or Osram bulbs , use them all the time on my own vehicles. Except, their led headlight bulbs are not street legal .
LED Headlamp - MOT - autumnboy
This is what I thought when I did the MOTs some 40yrs ago.
You could only check the aim and if working, regardless to wattage and pattern used.

From what I’ve seen online the Projector lens headlamp whether it has LED or Halogen produces the same patterns.

But the headlights without the Projector lens, is a different story with their aim and pattern and the bulbs can clearly be seen.
LED Headlamp - MOT - Steveieb

For us dinosaurs who have conventional bulbs , Aldi have lens cleaning kits in at present. My indie charged me a fortune to clean mine !

That’s the other job to do - I’ve an Autoglym headlight restoration kit sitting waiting to be used to restore cloudy headlights. It’s the prospect of making them look considerably worse before they improve is what’s putting me off doing it!