What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - Steveieb

Just off to pick up DIL s Yaris auto after an mot and service.

Its 22 years old and a Mk 1 built in Japan and it passed ok apart from a replacement wiper blade.

These early examples are really amazing and must set the standard for a cheap sub £1000 first car.

Even HJ himself chose one for his mum!

Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - Falkirk Bairn

Yaris manual Mk1 s were French assembly

Yaris auto Mk1 s were Japan assembly

I wonder if there was any quality differences.

Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - SLO76
Excellent little cars, usually only rust kills them eventually but they’re still pretty good in that regard too.
Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - Xileno

A work colleague has one which was about fifteen years old when I first met him. It was really for his wife to learn to drive in but he found it great for urban driving and being able to squeeze into small parking bays. I think he ended up using it more than her. No mechanical issues that I remember but as SLO mentions, eventually rust killed it. Suspension towers I think.

Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - Steveieb

From memory, I’m that old, the all original Mk 1 Yaris were built in Japan. Production started in France around 2002.

But not many complaints about the French built Yaris apart from the MMT gearbox.

The original Cars had TQ auto boxes

Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - JonestHon
Nothing wrong with the Mk2 French built ones.
They resist rust much better than the Mk1’s according to those who owned both.

I sold my 2010 1.33 two month ago with 162k and it had nothing gone wrong with it (owned it from new) apart from a ceased passenger door lock where my young ones injected some sugary substance to it. Still had fully working AC that never needed a recharge and the original clutch and exhaust.

The fact that I got the asking price of £2.5k from the first Lady who came to see it shows that people know these little cars are indestructible.
Toyota Yaris Mk 1 - Best cheap small hatchback - sajid

Got a mark 3.5 facelift 15 plate yaris a deisel, they increased the boot

Space and rear legroom compared to the mark 2.

Economy is outstanding, and the engine performance speed is similar to a 1.5petrol.

As a daily run about car is easy to drive park, engine warms up within a min of driving as the engine block is made of aluminium. Only issue i have are ac not working got a leak and the number plate light bulb was burnt i changed the bulb diy 5 min job.