What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - LeeLee83
Hello,
I know this is a question that might annoy some people but…

There’s a 2007Jag estate with a full MOT going for £1,500 locally.

Only downside I can spot is that it’s got almost 190k on the clock.

Is it realistic to expect a car of this age and mileage to last much longer?

What should I look for and ask about if I go and view it?

It just has a tow bar and big boot which I occasionally need.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - elekie&a/c doctor
Petrol or diesel?
Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - Bromptonaut

Depends entirely on condition for the price.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - LeeLee83
Diesel
Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - SLO76

These are notorious rot buckets and unless low mileage and immaculate they’re utterly worthless. Unless they’re paying you £1500 to take it away I’d leave it.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - Andrew-T

I wouldn't go near a vehicle with 190K on the clock unless it has been exceptionally well looked after, especially with a towbar.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - nellyjak

Wouldn't touch it personally....and the price would have to have a nought knocked off..!

Can be rot boxes...particularly the sills.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - barney100

Far too expensive, mate bought a similar car for £400 for his works car, ran for a couple of years.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - daveyjp

Agree its too expensive. A Jaguar badge isn't worth a few hundred quid. You can probably find newer, lower mileage vehicles for half that price.

Have a look at the MOT history and see what advisories have been flagged and see if they have been addressed. At that mileage I would expect issues around suspension components. My X type ate tyres, so suspension issues on the front won't cure that problem.

Rust has been mentioned.

If that stacks up and you can shave a substantial amount off the price its down to how lucky you feel. You may be able to drive it for 12 months with no issues, it may last a month and the clutch fails or it decides not to start.

That's the 'joy' of bangernomics.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - daveyK_UK
If it’s the leather version, the seats are nice!

You could look into removing them and turning them into a living room feature.

At 190k it may have another 60k life left in the engine it may have only 1k life left in the body and components.

Condition is king
Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - madf

RUST especially sills. Proper repair is c £1500 plus whatever else is rusting.

£3k for an old car is about £2500 too much.

It is worthless.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - elekie&a/c doctor
Buy a Mondeo . Same car with less trouble for half the price .
Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - Andrew-T
If it’s the leather version, the seats are nice!

Three of them may be OK - the fourth is probably rather done for ....

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - pd

I think it's too much, even in current market.

£750 with a year's MOT and I'd say OK, maybe. Drive it for a year and throw away if it packs up.

Check for rust under plastic sill covers carefully. That's what kills them. If DMF isn't rattling and engine pulls well then it might have some more miles in it.

Edited by pd on 21/10/2021 at 14:34

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - nick62

Mate has one and I have never known anyone to lavish so much love and time on a car.

Always immaculate, washed almost every weekend, .......

...... sills rotted away.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - Xileno

I looked at one of these about five years ago, they are nice cars but the rust issues put me off. Inexcusable on a modern car. The French nailed this decades ago and they possibly had the worst reputation for rust along with the Italians.

Edited by Xileno on 22/10/2021 at 08:05

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - focussed

I wouldn't go near a vehicle with 190K on the clock unless it has been exceptionally well looked after, especially with a towbar.

You would never buy many s/h cars in France then, 300,000 km and more is common on old cars on LeBoncoin and ebay.

www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1998842675.htm

One here at 500,000 km!

www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2059126608.htm

You would never buy many s/h cars in France then, 300,000 km and more is common on old cars on LeBoncoin and ebay.

But one only needs to visit France to see that the French have a completely different attitude to cars ....

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - madf

And how do French MOT tests compare to the UK?

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Is it worth buying a car with 190k on the clock? - focussed

And how do French MOT tests compare to the UK?

Much the same as both are to EU standards AFAIR.

Pretty automated nowadays, the braking, emission, headlamp alignment results are all printed out on the pass/ fail sheet automatically the testers all have a handheld gadget that communicates with the computer in the office that prints out the sheets, but I guess the UK does that nowadays too.

But only testing stations do them, not allowed to do repairs, so no made up faults.

They start at 4 years from 1st registration and are then every other year - for cars.

Light commercials get a full test every other year and an emission test in between.

If a vehicle fails you have two months to fix it and go back to have that fault retested, but that doesn't prohibit you from using it, unless it's a dangerous fault in which case you have to recover it on a trailer back to your garage or the caisse (scrappy).

There is also a new tougher category of fault since 2018 which means the car cannot be used after midnight on the day of the test if it has not been repaired.

If you sell a vehicle privately it must have a valid certificate that was done within the previous 6 months, otherwise the buyer will not be able to register it.

And you get a sticker in the windscreen and also one in the registration card so you can see at a glance the test record of any car.