What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - wantstolearn

Checking availability, obviously limited and pricey. Wondering about choice of paint to reduce cost. What are pros cons of metallic v solid paint ?

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - badbusdriver

Given they haven't been sold in the UK for a couple of years now, you'll be looking at 2nd hand cars. In which case I'm not sure there is going to be much difference in price between solid or metallic.

Traditionally, solid paints tended to fade earlier, but you can get round that by waxing it. Personally, I am not a fan of white cars (with a handful of exceptions), so would actively avoid that, but otherwise I'd be much more interested in the condition and history than whether it was metallic or solid paint.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - wantstolearn

Thanks bbd for prompt and helpful reply. I suppose a big factor is finding models.

My wife is not keen on white so I'll cross that off ! Wondering about cost of any repainting which may be needed. I've been caught driving too close to hedge on country lanes. Some think metallic cosmetically better. Possibly the answer is simply it's different.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - badbusdriver

I think metallic paint is gives a finish which is generally harder and more durable than a solid paint. But as said, treating solid paint with a good quality wax would even this up considerably, maybe even swing it the other way (though of course you can also wax metallic paint). And while I suspect the actual paint cost of metallic would be higher than a solid colour, I doubt that extra expressed as a percentage of total cost of any repair would be big enough to make me choose one over the other.

Ultimately, IMO, you may be overthinking this!.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - scot22

Thanks again..

You've identified something my wife comments on !

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - Falkirk Bairn

For nearly 20 years all cars are coated with several coats of clearcoat whether metallic or flat colour.

The faded reds are a thing of the past unless it's been bashed and poorly repaired

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - scot22

Appreciated. Certainly the place to learn.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - thunderbird

For nearly 20 years all cars are coated with several coats of clearcoat whether metallic or flat colour.

The faded reds are a thing of the past unless it's been bashed and poorly repaired

The only non metallic's we have owned since the early 80's have been white and they certainly have no clear coat. The Fabia is solid white and had a few chips after 4 years and that 100% has no clear coat.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - paul 1963

As previously stated all reasonably modern car will have a clear coat unless it's been badly 're sprayed.

Venga ix20 - Choice of paint - thunderbird

As previously stated all reasonably modern car will have a clear coat unless it's been badly 're sprayed.

None of our cars have been badly resprayed. In fact none of our cars have ever been resprayed.