What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Metropolis.

Seems legit news.sky.com/story/lucid-air-dream-edition-electri...9

From the article:

A high performance electric car has gone into production in the US with a certified range of 520 miles - the longest currently on the open market.

The Air Dream Edition, which costs just short of $170,000 (£124,000) in the US, travels about 28% - or 115 miles - further on a full charge than Tesla's Model S, which Lucid Group's British-born CEO Peter Rawlinson helped develop. It also has more than 1,000 horsepower, which means it can do 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds.

The Air Dream also charges more quickly than Teslas, according to Lucid, with enough charge after 20 minutes to drive 300 miles.

- They've been around since 2007 according to the article, so not a flash in the pan.

One to watch?

Edited by Metropolis. on 05/10/2021 at 21:34

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Sofa Spud

The Lucid Air seems to be aimed higher up the luxury / price scale than the Tesla Model S rather than being a direct competitor. It looks good from most angles.

That's true, although the article suggests they are looking to make cheaper versions, but i'm just impressed at the certified range AND faster charging time, Tesla seems to lead the pack on that so it's nice to see some solid competition (notwithstanding your point on cost).

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - badbusdriver

I've read a few articles about the Lucid Air, and yes, a very impressive machine. In the most recent article I read, the designer was talking about making maximum use of the benefits afforded by an EV platform. In reference to the Tesla, while it is certainly a slippery shape, they have chosen to use existing expectations on the shape and proportions of a car. The Lucid Air designer reckons this compromises how much interior space can be freed up within a given footprint.

Re the battery efficiency, I think what I read was that they were designing from scratch their own battery as opposed to using one provided by a third party, even just individual cells being built up into whatever shape and size needed. It is this that gives them even greater efficiency than the Tesla.

As for competition, I think Lucid Air see themselves more as an electric rival to Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach (Mercedes) than Tesla, hence the price.

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Andrew-T

... I'm just impressed at the certified range AND faster charging time,

I think we should wait for some disinterested reviews and comparisons, to show whether any laws of physics are being challenged ?

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - barney100

They are a bargain at £124k....I'll go out this afternoon and get one in blue for me and one in pink for SWMBO.

Doug Demuro just did a review

youtu.be/tRUvz1QPueA
Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - mcb100
I’m sure all manufacturers are well aware of the need for aerodynamic efficiency, and just because something looks streamlined doesn’t mean it is. There are always compromises between the drag factor and stability - anyone remember the crosswind instability of the early Sierra, before it gained appendages?
Additionally, the early EV adopters were/are potentially going to be able to accept/put up with a car that looks out of the ordinary, or doesn’t have a dashboard ahead of the driver, or a steering wheel consisting of two yokes, simply because it’s the EV aspect they’re after. Full marks to Tesla for making their cars aspirational to multi generations.
There is, however, a large cohort of drivers who are perhaps being told by fleet managers that they have to have an EV next, and for those people the biggest step has to be to swap from putting petrol in it to charging it. So they will find a more conventional car more appealing if it looks like what they’ve had before. Polestar 2, for example, looks like it could just as easily have a petrol engine under the bonnet, and retains a conventional looking dashboard ahead of the driver.
Design will evolve towards cars that better make use of EV drivetrains, but it’s a case of bringing customers along on a ‘baby steps’ journey.
Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - movilogo

I am not too concerned about the range - my hesitancy towards EV is about how long it takes to charge.

Every sailboat has a small engine to propel it when no wind available. Why don't EVs come up with small engines to generate some electricity from fuel to propel the car at 50 MPH max?

This is not same as hybrid as the engine here will act as generator - like they do in diesel locomotives in railways. In fact, this is another question. Why hybrids run the wheels directly rather than using the engine as generator to power the motors?

Edited by movilogo on 06/10/2021 at 11:21

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Xileno

I think the Vauxhall Ampera does (or did) that.

I think the Vauxhall Ampera does (or did) that.

It did, as did the range extender version of the BMW i3.

And I'm pretty sure I've read Mazda's w***el rotary is supposed to be making a comeback for this purpose.

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - mcb100
Honda CR-V, while classed as a hybrid, runs solely on electricity with the battery being charged by an ICE.
Honda CR-V, while classed as a hybrid, runs solely on electricity with the battery being charged by an ICE.

That isn't actually the case. As with the new Jazz, the CR-V has three drive modes, Electric Drive, Engine Drive (ICE only) and Hybrid Drive.

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Terry W

Lucid Air inhabit the space previously occupied by those who judged cars either on 0-60mph time or top speed. Corr ........... 0-60 in 3 sceonds and accelerate to 202mph.

Both equally irrelevant off a racing circuit.

A range of 500 miles will need a cast iron bladder and the resolve to ignore the joys of Starbucks or Costa in favour of a 10 hours non-stop drive.

The price makes it unattainable unless you are the proud owner of lots of positive zoros on your bank statement. Pointless!!

Lucid Air inhabit the space previously occupied by those who judged cars either on 0-60mph time or top speed. Corr ........... 0-60 in 3 sceonds and accelerate to 202mph.

Both equally irrelevant off a racing circuit.

I quite agree that the top speed and more particularly the 0-60 time are utterly pointless, especially for a car supposed to be an electric luxury car.

The price makes it unattainable unless you are the proud owner of lots of positive zoros on your bank statement. Pointless!!

No more so than any other other luxury car of that sort of price, and there are lots!. As an aside, on an episode of Richard Osman's House Of Games I saw the other day, I learned that there are more than 500.000 people in the world who have assets of more than 30 million dollars. Thats way more than you'd need to be looking at cars in this price range, so I suspect you'd be very surprised at just how many people in this country alone could take on a car of this price. Just look at how many cars are sold by RR and Bentley these days compared to a couple of decades ago!.

In my small Aberdeenshire window cleaning round, i can think of two customers who have cars with a list price well over £100k.

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - Terry W

It's a free world. Clearly there are many who can afford £100k for a car.

If it brings them happiness, self fulfillment, joy, etc etc - great.

The "pointless" observation is purely personal. Even with £50m in the bank, would I pay £100k++ for motor - probably not.

We are all prisoners of our life experiences - and after 60+ years it seems a needless extravagance which would shout "egotistical deleted" to all who see me driving.

[I sympathise with the sentiment but...]

Edited by Xileno on 07/10/2021 at 07:00

Sorry, can't agree with this. A 500+ mile range doesn't mean you drive 500 miles without taking a break. What it does mean is that say you're driving from the Bristol up to Aviemore, you can take a loo break and then get going again immediately, rather than having to wait 40 minutes (sorry i'm not up to date with charging rates) or even wait for a charger to be accessible. You can just spend a penny, grab a takeaway coffee and be on your way.

Given range anxiety and subsequent charging times are the two most well-known pitfalls of electric car ownership, I think this development is far from pointless. It is expensive though, i'll agree with that!

Edited by Metropolis. on 09/10/2021 at 23:31

Tesla beater or hot air? - Lucid Air (that's its actual name!) - alan1302

you can take a loo break and then get going again immediately, rather than having to wait 40 minutes (sorry i'm not up to date with charging rates) or even wait for a charger to be accessible. You can just spend a penny, grab a takeaway coffee and be on your way.

Agree with this - sometimes you don't want a long stop off somewhere - just pop to the loo, stretch the legs and get going again. If/when batteries are giving a range on mainstream cars then I don't think there will be many people not keen on an electric vehicle.

For anyone interested, this article gives a pretty thorough comparison between Tesla and Lucid, they might end up being more similar than som would have thought!

www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/tesla-vs-lucid-heres-how-t...l