What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - Beaglelady

Hi Honest John team!

I am after a little run around car to get me to work and back and to the shops,short journeys mainly with perhaps the odd long one thrown in.

I want something reliable,cheap to run and quite safe with cheap parts if possible!

was hoping it to be no more than £4000 to £5,000 if pushed

I have been looking at the Toyota Yaris but have no idea which year to look at or what kind of Mileage ?? some of the Toyota Yaris models the older ones the interior looks so dated!

sorry I know this is a big ask!

I do not know what is best a newer car with more miles or an older car with less miles so much to think about!

I do like an automatic but I can have a manual as well

miles per year probably under 2,000

thank you all in advance

Edited by Beaglelady on 04/09/2021 at 09:01

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - badbusdriver

Bad time to be buying with used car prices absolutely crazy at the moment, which of course means your £4-5k isn't going to go anywhere near as far as it would pre covid.

Looking for a smallish auto on a budget like that is a bit of a minefield as so many manufacturers dabbled with 'automated manual' gearboxes (both single and dual clutch versions), rather than a traditional T/C (torque converter) or CVT. So probably better to stick with a manual if you can manage.

Good, inherently reliable cars worth considering (all with petrol engines), in no particular order;

Toyota Yaris

Honda Jazz

Mazda 2

Suzuki Swift

Ford Fiesta 1.25 (not, the 1.0 Ecoboost!)

All the above should have no issues covering big miles, but it stands to reason that most small cars don't cover that many miles.

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - nellyjak

TBH when it comes to reliability you can't generally fault the Yaris...but you'll not go far wrong with anything Japanese and petrol.

Thank you for the advice, any idea when prices might start dropping? I am pregnant and am finding that public transport is more unreliable and definitely need a little car!

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - Halmerend

We ran a 1.2 Swift for nine years from new. Paid £8,995 for it and sold it for £2,500. Apart from servicing and routine maintenance the only things that failed in its 60 odd thousand miles were the battery, the door mirror heating element and the passenger side front window switch. Not particularly refined but great fun to drive.

Thank you for the advice, any idea when prices might start dropping?

Can't really say, depends on when the market for new cars starts to pick up again. That Ian't going to happen till folks are having more confidence that they are not going to be unemployed in 6 months!.

I had a look on Autotrader, £5k is enough to get you into a 2015/2016 Suzuki Swift and a similar age Fiesta 1.25. A Yaris, Jazz or (Mazda) 2 will be a year two older.

You could also be looking at some Korean options, the Hyundai i20 and Kia Rio. If you could manage with a slightly smaller car, there is also the Hyundai i10 and Kia Picanto.

Where in the country are you?

the Midlands

anyone have any opinion on the Hyundai i30s?

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - Falkirk Bairn

>>If you could manage with a slightly smaller car, there is also the Hyundai i10 and Kia Picanto.

She said she is with child - babies require big cars not micro ones.

She said she is with child - babies require big cars

No they don't.

not micro ones.

The footprint of a Yaris of the age the OP could afford is less than 9% bigger than that of a 2nd gen Hyundai i10.

From the OP's first post:

"I am after a little run around car to get me to work and back and to the shops,short journeys mainly with perhaps the odd long one thrown in."

anyone have any opinion on the Hyundai i30s?

The i30 is fine, the are relatively simple straightforward cars. Get a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol with a manual gearbox and you've little to fear. There is also the Kia Ceed, which is essentially the same car with a different body and interior trim.

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - SLO76
The newer shape Yaris is worth paying a bit extra for. It’s safer and a bit better built in my opinion than the dated previous gen. The best engine is the Toyota 1.33 but the Daihatsu designed 3cyl 1.0 is durable enough if serviced regularly and capable enough around the town. I’d buy on condition and history over whether it’s an auto or a manual, keep the net cast as wide as possible. I’d also beg borrow or steal if a good example popped up a bit over budget.

I’d add the Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4, Mazda 2, Honda Jazz and Suzuki Swift to the search to boost your chances of finding a good car.

thanks everyone

my husband has a Volvo V60 so hoping all the baby stuff and bigger journeys will be in his car!

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - pd

To be honest as long as it has been serviced a bit, looks as if it has been reasonably cared for and works when you buy it, it's quite hard to go wrong with a Yaris.

None of the models are bad as such, they have few inherent common faults and are pretty decent to drive.

My favourite as an auto and town use would be the hybrid version but doubt you'll find one in that price range.

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - sajid

Got myself a diesel yaris 15 plate, similar performance to a 1.5 petrol yet double the torque.

good little run about cheap to run when i bought it i changed the filters

Air fuel and pollen. Result made a difference to the running of the car more

responsive.

Next thing is to replace the transmission fluid car done 70k miles.

maybe a Toyota Yaris? - Need a little run around car - JonestHon

I just traded on our 2010 Yaris for a £1k.

Saw the dealer sold it for £1300 with 130k.

Had it from new, never a bother and decent to drive.

Our was a six speed manual with a 99hp 1.33 which suit the weight of the car really well.

I prefer the ergonomics of the mk2 to the mk3.

It was a great car when my daughter wes young as the back seats move back and forth allowing a buggy in the boot, you don't get it in the mk3.

There are full iso connectors for the child seats and you sit high in this car.

Never did less than 50 mpg on average.