What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - Dingle232

I have recently reduced the number of miles I do annually and have been thinking about changing my car, even though I am not under any pressure to. I have had my faultless CRV for a couple of years and am considering changing to a hybrid. Reliability and cost are the 2 most important things and I have looked at:

RAV4 Excel Hybrid

CR-V EX Hybrid

Both cars are under a year old so have taken most of the initial depreciation hit and are similar specs. I'd be comfortable owning both of them given their reliability records but having never owned a hybrid before, only diesels, I wondered if there were views as to which is the better motor? I'd be planning to keep until they were 5 years old.

Thanks.

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - Bromptonaut

So you've currently got a diesel CRV?

How many miles pa will you do now?

How much will be short journeys?

Why do you want to change?

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - SLO76
I doubt you’d have any trouble with either, especially when we consider that you’ll be selling it on when it’s still a young car at 5yrs of age. Test drive both and buy the one that you like the best. We all have differing opinions as to what constitutes a good drivers car.

If absolutely pushed to suggest the best long term ownership prospect I’d probably say the RAV4 will be the more robust as Toyota have more experience in designing hybrids. There’s loads of Auris and Prius taxis plying their trade across the globe with mega miles up and still running without issue. Honda have in event years made some mistakes which suggest cost cutting. The reliability issues on the 1.5 petrol turbo motor in conventional CRV’s and the poor design of the timing belt in the 1.0 turbo which costs a crippling amount to change what should be a service item.

I’d go Toyota but I’d probably look at the non-hybrid Mazda CX-5 2.0 petrol which is a very pleasant car indeed and much cheaper to buy than the more complex hybrids. Unless you do a huge mileage or gain through tax you’ll never recoup the added cost of a hybrid powertrain.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/09/2021 at 00:01

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - daveyjp

I would price up a new prices through brokers.

Used prices are mad at the moment and that 'initial depreciation' may not actually be evident.

I would price up a new prices through brokers.

Used prices are mad at the moment and that 'initial depreciation' may not actually be evident.

Good idea. When I was looking at used Volvo XC60’s this time last year the Volvo dealer was throwing money at me to take a new one. List price was just over £40k and he could take almost £10k off that via a “friends and family discount” (never met the man before) and a PCP contribution from Volvo which made the car cheaper than some of the year old examples he had on the forecourt. Just watch for spec and delivery date issues due to this shortage of processor chips.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/09/2021 at 07:42

I must admit I was also very tempted by the XC60 but would have to get comfortable with the touch screen control not being distracting. The draw with them is the comfort as I have issues where it has to be right - Volvo is an appealing proposition.

However, as I'd prefer the current model the prices are absolutely prohibitive to be honest. So - likely to be Toyota or Honda and I am inclined to agree that the RAV4 may be the slightly better proposition as I'd intend to keep it until it's 5 years old as you suggest. That would give me 3 years of reliable, warranty covered, motoring with decent running costs and low tax.

The stated mpg on the Honda (for what it's worth) seems considerably less than the RAV4 which is a shame.

The Volvo that I could afford would almost be out of warrnty and stil has the whopping initial VED charge levied.

I know you are pretty well appraised of the foibles of most vehicles - are there any issues in buying a 1-2 year old RAV4 that you'd advise me to look out for?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Edited by Dingle232 on 01/09/2021 at 09:47

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - badbusdriver

I must admit I was also very tempted by the XC60 but would have to get comfortable with the touch screen control not being distracting. The draw with them is the comfort as I have issues where it has to be right - Volvo is an appealing proposition.

Going by what read in motoring magazines, while the seats in the Volvo may be great, the ride on the bigger wheels (specified by most) isn't that great.

I know you are pretty well appraised of the foibles of most vehicles - are there any issues in buying a 1-2 year old RAV4 that you'd advise me to look out for?

Buying a 1-2 year old example of either RAV4 or CR-V from a dealer should be worry and pain free.

The stated mpg on the Honda (for what it's worth) seems considerably less than the RAV4 which is a shame.

Stated MPG isn't really worth paying much attention to. Both very similar cars with very similar drivetrains so I'd expect the actual MPG to be within a few percent of each other. 'Real MPG' figures on this website say the CR-V does 46-49, the RAV4 48-51, which is about what I'd expect the difference to be.

If you could manage with a slightly smaller car, I'd give serious consideration to a Kia Niro hybrid. Your budget for a 1-2 year old RAV4 or CR-V would get you into a brand new, top of the range Niro (a fraction over £30k on the road according to the website), complete with 7 year warranty.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/09/2021 at 10:38

“ are there any issues in buying a 1-2 year old RAV4 that you'd advise me to look out for?”

Really, no. The Hybrid RAV4 is known for its reliability, I doubt it would require anything other than service items over the next decade. The only issue is price, pay too much and you’ll lose a lot of money in depreciation so make sure you compare similar cars at other dealers to see if the price is right. My wife finds the seats in Toyota’s uncomfortable but I can’t say that I do, I suspect it’s snobbishness and she just doesn’t like being seen in my 11yr old Toyota estate.
Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - John F

I have had my faultless CRV for a couple of years and am considering changing.....Reliability and cost are the 2 most important things.....

If so, why change? Can't see why it shouldn't give you at least another ten years of reliability. If you keep changing every two or three years you will pay many pence per mile in depreciation cost, probably more than fuel pence per mile cost.

The ONLY criticism I can level at it is that it's a little underpowered and I do a lot of journeys where it's fully loaded. The Hybrids have a little more poke to them which would be a great benefit on the hills.

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - mcb100
Have a drive in one or both at a local dealership - I’ve not driven the latest RAV, but I have spent a few weeks in the Honda.
Petrol consumption on motorway trips was in the 20’s as the petrol engine is running for a chunk of the time, and if you point it up a hill you’ll hear the engine revving away as it charges the battery. In urban conditions, it’s quiet, relaxed and economical.
Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - Falkirk Bairn

Toyota & Lexus up to 10 year warranty / 100K miles if serviced by franchised dealer.

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - daveyjp

An issue for me with Honda is dealership network. It has been reduced dramatically over the last 3-4 years. A few weeks ago I passed what used to be the Leeds Honda dealer and its selling another marque. It appears Leeds now no longer has a Honda dealer at all.

My dad has had 2 Jazz, family dealer he bought from closed, nearest dealer then changed to Nissan. His current car is now being serviced by a local garage as the nearest main dealer is too far.

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - RichT54

An issue for me with Honda is dealership network. It has been reduced dramatically over the last 3-4 years. A few weeks ago I passed what used to be the Leeds Honda dealer and its selling another marque. It appears Leeds now no longer has a Honda dealer at all.

My dad has had 2 Jazz, family dealer he bought from closed, nearest dealer then changed to Nissan. His current car is now being serviced by a local garage as the nearest main dealer is too far.

Similarly, the dealer in Bracknell that I bought a new CR-V from in 2012 is no longer a Honda dealership. The nearest are now in Guildford and Reading.

Got an appointment to drive a RAV4 Hybrid on Monday and a cost I am happy with in principle. Feels like the right decision and I am a long time Toyota fan having owned them in the past.

Fingers crossed.

A slight aside for those of you with experience of Toyota dealers. The car I am considering is coming up to 1 year old (not yet reached) and has been being used in the dealership by one of the Managers.

Its service interval is 10k miles or 1 year and the mileage hasn't been reached so it's the 1 year trigger for the service. It's a basic one with the oil and filter being the main thing.

During the conversations I have had today the sales guy initially said 'it's due a service and we'd do it before it leaves if you buy it.' Fair enough and what I wanted to hear.

In subsequent conversations he stated that the car had 'been serviced' and the book was stamped and it was already done. When I challenged him he reiterated that the service had been done, despite getting slightly flustered when I pointed out to him that it wasn't actually due for another month.

I am sceptical but no way to prove it or otherwise. I could either insist on a further service which is something they are unlikely to do, refuse to buy the car or get a service done at my cost when I get the car home.

I have an inherent mistrust of dealers. What are the chances of the service having actually been done? Would you trust them or give yourself peace of mind and pay for it yourself?

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - Engineer Andy

I have an inherent mistrust of dealers. What are the chances of the service having actually been done? Would you trust them or give yourself peace of mind and pay for it yourself?

Sometimes it's anyone's guess. Sure, Toyota dealerships are far more likely to be honest than other makes, but it's certainly not 100% and sometimes it depends upon which staff you're dealing with.

If the service was just an oil and filter change and recent, then you should be able to see for yourself whether they have been changed - the oil via the dipstick (assuming it not one of those German-type systems that doesn't have one) should be still golden yellow, and the engine air filter may have been changed (check the maintenance schedule as to what should be - first services are very little) - ask them to show you if you don't want to open it up yourself.

A good dealer will endeavour to prove they are telling the truth, as a piece of paper/log book can easily be added with nothing done.

Fully agree and I have informed them I'll be checking before buying. The air filter isn't included on the first service schedule so the only clue will be the oil. The get out for them is that the car has been being used as a daily runner by one of their Managers so I am not sure that's going to be a reliable indicator as, even if not clean, then they could argue that it's normal for it to be discoloured on account of the fact that it's been used each day.

Even though it pains me I am tempted to bite the bullet and get it done locally without stamping the book but getting an invoice to support the service that's been carried out. I plan to keep the car a few years so don't want any issues with it.

Fully agree and I have informed them I'll be checking before buying. The air filter isn't included on the first service schedule so the only clue will be the oil. The get out for them is that the car has been being used as a daily runner by one of their Managers so I am not sure that's going to be a reliable indicator as, even if not clean, then they could argue that it's normal for it to be discoloured on account of the fact that it's been used each day.

Even though it pains me I am tempted to bite the bullet and get it done locally without stamping the book but getting an invoice to support the service that's been carried out. I plan to keep the car a few years so don't want any issues with it.

What is included in the first service?.

1, Strikes me that if it only entails an oil change, what would the benefit be to the dealer to tell you it has been done when it hasn't?

2, You are thinking of buying a one year old example of one of the most reliable cars available at any price, with most of its warranty still to run, from a Toyota dealer. In the (IMO) highly unlikely event of them not having done this first service, what do you think might happen?. Personally, I'd wager absolutely nothing.

3, A one year old example will have a 5 year warranty, extendable to as much as 10 (with servicing done at a Toyota dealer) and you plan to keep the car for 5years. So if you do have the car serviced at the dealer, at no point within your ownership will the car be 'outwith' warranty (i.e, if anything goes wrong, it will be covered by the warranty). So I'm totally baffled as to why you would give serious consideration to having an extra service done out of your own pocket?.

What is included in the first service?.

1, Strikes me that if it only entails an oil change, what would the benefit be to the dealer to tell you it has been done when it hasn't?

2, You are thinking of buying a one year old example of one of the most reliable cars available at any price, with most of its warranty still to run, from a Toyota dealer. In the (IMO) highly unlikely event of them not having done this first service, what do you think might happen?. Personally, I'd wager absolutely nothing.

3, A one year old example will have a 5 year warranty, extendable to as much as 10 (with servicing done at a Toyota dealer) and you plan to keep the car for 5years. So if you do have the car serviced at the dealer, at no point within your ownership will the car be 'outwith' warranty (i.e, if anything goes wrong, it will be covered by the warranty). So I'm totally baffled as to why you would give serious consideration to having an extra service done out of your own pocket?.

You can Google the first service schedule as I did. The main thing is oil and filter plus a plethora of checks. Otherwise.

1 - Pretty obvious this. Dealer are profiteers so the answer is 'money'.

2 - I don't know as I can't see into the future. I don't want to take the chance.

3 - See (2). People are different and some, like me, prefer to be safe in the knowledge that it has been done whereas others may not be too concerned. I'm in the former category.

Edited by Dingle232 on 02/09/2021 at 15:37

Not obvious at all unless you think dealers don't care about their reputation at all. Worst case scenario, they could lose their franchise if it was found out they claimed the first service was done when it (knowingly) wasn't. You really do have a very cynical view of car dealers if you think that is likely to happen over the price of an intermediate service (£100?) when the car is retailing at circa £30k!.

2 - I don't know as I can't see into the future. I don't want to take the chance.

3 - See (2). People are different and some, like me, prefer to be safe in the knowledge that it has been done whereas others may not be too concerned. I'm in the former category.

'Taking a chance', is buying an unreliable 2nd hand car outwith warranty. Your are not taking a chance buying a year old Toyota with the remainder of its warranty, from a Toyota dealer, with 'full history'.

Point is, if something goes wrong during your ownership of the car, the warranty will cover it. If something goes wrong during your ownership, due to the 1st service not having been carried out, it isn't going to come back on you because you have proof in the service records that it was done.

So there is literally zero risk, or comeback to you.

But its your money, if you want to throw it away, it's your choice.

Not obvious at all unless you think dealers don't care about their reputation at all. Worst case scenario, they could lose their franchise if it was found out they claimed the first service was done when it (knowingly) wasn't. You really do have a very cynical view of car dealers if you think that is likely to happen over the price of an intermediate service (£100?) when the car is retailing at circa £30k!.

You (I) tend to develop a cynical view ehen it's happened to you (Me) twice before. Equally, I think your view that the cost to them is so low that it doesn't warrant conning punters is pretty naive. It goes on and it's probably more common than we think.

Think about this - the price I have agreed with the dealer was £75 more than I wanted to pay. I stuck to my guns initially and repeatedly asked them to reduce it by the £75 to secure the deal in principle. It wasn't a case where they'd already knocked thousands off so were refusing to go a dime further. Point actually is, they'll do anything they can get away with to save money. They'll tell old ladies who don't know any better that their beloved trade ins are worth significantly less than they are. The reason - because they can and they do.

So if they can save £190 on an initial service in the knowledge that nobody can prove otherwise then you bet they will and if that makes me cynical then cynical it is. It's just reality in this avaricious world we live in.

I have a mate who works in a main dealership and you wouldn't believe me if I told you about some of the shark practices they employ to make sure their targets are met.

'Taking a chance', is buying an unreliable 2nd hand car outwith warranty. Your are not taking a chance buying a year old Toyota with the remainder of its warranty, from a Toyota dealer, with 'full history'.

Point is, if something goes wrong during your ownership of the car, the warranty will cover it. If something goes wrong during your ownership, due to the 1st service not having been carried out, it isn't going to come back on you because you have proof in the service records that it was done.

So there is literally zero risk, or comeback to you.

No, the point is all about your attitude to risk as with anything and I whilst I'd agree it's low it's not zero because nothing ever is when you are buying vehicles. I know of people who have bought (recently) brand new cars and had elementary things go wrong, only for their loyal dealer to abdicate any responsibility for it at all. 'Sorry Sir that bit's not covered'.

But its your money, if you want to throw it away, it's your choice.

It is and I am not in the habit of throwing it away, just spending to mitigate risk where I feel it's warranted (sic).

Don't trust car dealers blindly. That will be a greater cost in the end than a £190 service.

Edited by Dingle232 on 02/09/2021 at 17:06

Diesel to Hybrid SUV Choices - FiestaOwner

To the OP

From what I can see you're looking to spend over £30,000 (perhaps a lot more) on this car. You're right to be cautious.

Absolutely trust your instinct here. If something with the car or dealer is ringing alarm bells with you, then walk away from this deal. There are plenty of other cars and dealers out there.

It's often advised on this forum to ensure your car gets at least an annual oil change. You have real doubts about whether this really has been done.

All makes can give problems (including Toyota's). I know this only too well as I had a duff pre-reg Yaris. Problem only cured by trading it in!

If something's not right then walk (in fact don't walk, RUN!).