What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - Graham (Manchester)

Summer 2021: Vacation nightmare.Car broke down after refueling. Supermarket states no other complaints received and not accepting liability. Financially only £150 out of pocket but holiday ruined.. Internet search shows history of appalling responses to victims' significant bills over the years. Trading standards and Citizens Advice logging the complaint but unable to pursue it.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - bathtub tom

Your receipt will show what you put in. Keep it in case of others complaining.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - focussed

Get a report from a garage or dealer detailing what caused your breakdown.

Keep the receipt with the date and time - reconcile that with the time you broke down if you called a breakdown service.

"Nobody else has had a problem only you" is standard divide and rule tactics.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - alan1302

"Nobody else has had a problem only you" is standard divide and rule tactics.

Could also be true as we have very little information as to what happened.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - daveyjp

Who said it was fuel contamination? Has this been proven? What was the actual breakdown?

It can be an easy excuse when garages don't know what the problem is.

Most fuel stations serve dozens of customers a day, if there is a problem many more drivers will be affected.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - 72 dudes

Who said it was fuel contamination? Has this been proven? What was the actual breakdown?

It can be an easy excuse when garages don't know what the problem is.

Most fuel stations serve dozens of customers a day, if there is a problem many more drivers will be affected.

Agree, I work p/t at one and to have one complaint when there are literally hundreds of fill ups per hour is extremely unlikely.

More likely the car's tank was almost empty and the sediment was sucked up into the system.

Petrol stations do not let any underground tank get to less than 2500 litres and are cleaned out at least twice a year.

It's years since the Tesco fiasco and at the Sainsbury's where I work, we have never had one problem with contaminated fuel in the 8 years I've been there.

Edited by 72 dudes on 20/08/2021 at 12:23

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - Brit_in_Germany

There was a report one or two days ago of multiple diesel cars stopping within 10s of meters of a fuel station due to water contamination.

Driver warning after contaminated diesel found at Tesco petrol station - Mirror Online

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 20/08/2021 at 13:10

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - daveyjp

Which proves the point. If the tanks are contaminated it will affect far more than one car.

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - focussed

"More likely the car's tank was almost empty and the sediment was sucked up into the system"

I am so sick of hearing that one.

So the car with it's fuel tank jolts about over all sorts of roads, potholes. speed humps etc - and the fuel remaining in the tank is sloshing about.

But when the fiel runs low " the sediment was sucked up into the system"

Really?

2009 honda jazz 1200 petrol - supermarket fuel:denial of contamination - Graham (Manchester)

so pleased to hear this from you.The vehicle actually travelled 25 miles after filling up before the car eventually gave up the ghost. Loss of power previously on inclines. Was so annoying as I had done 290 motorway miles earlier that morning. A fuel additive helped and after average performance for 100 miles I filled up with fresh petrol and performance returned instantly, "nuff said ?"