What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - JonestHon

Before the pandemic, many times I was asked to comment about this model or the other by friends/colleagues/family etc', and in many cases it was seeking change for change sake or 'because I want to' or 'I have some dosh burning my pockets' ' or it will be nice to have..'

I noticed that now days very few in my social circle ever ask about replacing their wheels and if they do it's down to the old practical reasons of size/dogs/kids/ULEZ etc'

Are the days of swapping wheels on the whim for mr and mrs 'standard' are truly gone or is it just me?

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - SLO76
Interesting and possibly true. I can’t remember the last time I was asked my opinion on a car that someone was interested in purely because they just fancied a change. They’ve all been buying for practical reasons or their current car was knackered. I’ve even convinced a few of the young lads at work to offload their costly newish PCP BMW’s and Audis in favour of cheap runabouts and a plan to buy their own homes instead of wasting money on car finance. I do now have a few other cheapo cars to find however but then I do enjoy shopping for cheap cars with someone else’s money.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/07/2021 at 20:14

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - pd

I'd say it's the opposite. With little else to spend money on people have been buying cars they simply like the look of and there has been huge demand (and huge profits) for much of the industry. On top of that you'd be amazed how many have spent bounce back loans and other grants on cars.

This may cool off now support is ending and holidays, meals, parties or whatever are bexomkf an option again

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - bathtub tom

Neighbour, who has little spare cash, just spent around £700 on a new set of alloy wheels (and Chinese ditchfinder, 'Mayrun' tyres) for his 8-year-old car. SWMBO asked me why, as she couldn't see any difference.

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - brum

I can't believe any firm in the UK would use a tyre brandname like "Mayrun", reminds me of " Flying bomb" batteries!....

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - JonestHon

I can't believe any firm in the UK would use a tyre brandname like "Mayrun", reminds me of " Flying bomb" batteries!....

Sounds like a generic name for Imodium to me.

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - nellyjak

Maybe there's just more caution around in this uncertain world right now.?

A case of hanging on to what you've got.?

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - Alby Back
Maybe modern cars just take the years and miles better? Must be more than twenty years since we've had a car that actually broke down to the point of being undriveable until repaired. ( and to be fair that was an Espace ) Also, they don't visibly rust like they used to, so they keep their appearance longer.

Come to think, our household has put more than 900,000 miles on a variety of vehicles over the past two decades without any mechanical failures or rust problems.
Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - Engineer Andy

Sounds like something fitting in well with certain unreliable makes of car?

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - Terry W

There is no really good reason for people to change cars - most are because of status concerns, gizmos, boredom with current, or habit (always every three years).

Nearly all modern cars with reasonable care and regular servicing will cover:

• 100k with litte other than routine or minor replacements
  • 100-200k may need shocks, bushes, clutch, starter, wiper motor etc
  • up to 10 years no corrosion bar accident damage

PCP contracts of 3-4 years mean that once people are used to paying £xxx per month it is easier to change than keep (which would require a final payment of several £k). If they do the sums (many obviously choose not to) even a modest PCP at (say) £250 a month is £3k pa - much more expensive than buying and keeping for (say) 10 years.

Otherwise cars will typically last 10+ years without major expense rendering them a write off.

But it's a free world - people can chose what to do with their hard earned!

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - Andrew-T

With little else to spend money on people have been buying cars they simply like the look of ...

Ah, that must be why I haven't changed cars for many many years ....

Any - Changing cars for the sake of it - advise given - Bolt

With little else to spend money on people have been buying cars they simply like the look of ...

People have been doing that for years, rather than do a bit of research to find a reliable car they just like the look and colour then buy,in some cases practicality wasn`t even considered untill after the motor was bought.

some people I know bought cars that were not recommended to buy due to reliability, but didn`t want to listen, even after asking how good they were,then complained when something went wrong which on a few cost an arm and a leg for repairs after warranty run out mainly German cars