What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Superb v Prius - Latest diesels as clean as hybrids - Steveieb

The latest Green NCAP awards the latest Skoda Superb as cleaner than the Jazz hybrid and Prius.

And the PHEU Outlander Mitsubishi gains a two star award.

Maybe it’s time for the government to have a rethink ?

Skoda Superb v Prius - Latest diesels as clean as hybrids - Heidfirst

I can't find a Green NCAP test for a Superb, did you mean Octavia?

Similarly, the only Green NCAP test that I can find is of the plug-in Prius rather than the more normal version of the hybrid (which likely will have a lower score) & whilst the Skoda is better in the Clean Air Index section of the tests it is worse in the Greenhouse Gases section..

www.greenncap.com

Certainly, the latest diesels can have very effective emissions control systems but it would be interesting to see how both diesel & hybrid fare 10 years down the line & how much they may have cost in maintenance in the interim.

The government plans for both to go away anyway ...

Skoda Superb v Prius - Latest diesels as clean as hybrids - Steveieb

Dear Heidfirst.

This was heading news in the latest Which report.

So if you could extract the details and post it here .

Thanks

Skoda Superb v Prius - Latest diesels as clean as hybrids - Heidfirst

I don't subscribe to Which so I can't access Which's own tests/reports but I take it that you mean www.which.co.uk/news/2021/07/popular-full-hybrids-.../ which appears to largely be Which commenting on the GreenNCAP tests & then plugging their own?

You can access the full GreenNCAP tests at the link I posted above. Extracting the Which report details, even were I able to access them, & posting I believe would technically be illegal which I suspect HJ's owners would not approve of.

I do wonder how the diesels complicated emissions systems will be faring 10 years down the line...

Skoda Superb v Prius - Latest diesels as clean as hybrids - Terry W

Worth noting that it may be possible for a hybrid to be programmed or configured to revert to electriic in built up areas - diesel cannot.

Total emissions may be better, worse or similar, but where they emit could be very different.

Hybrid only has a real benefit if recharged from the mains. Otherwise comparison is a balance between additional complexity, battery and motor weight, vs imrpoved efficiency from a smaller (possibly) ICE and regenerative braking.