Family car recommendation 5-7k - Hc2012

So I've got another thread detailing oil burning issues with my 2012 civic. Some folk who know a lot more about cars than me are suggesting it may be the time to get rid and sort another car.

Next car wise i'm thinking of getting something bigger, 2 growing kids, camping, DIY etc. The Civic has been great in all respects of the above but a bit more space will make more sense. I also tow occasionally but only motorbikes, nothing heavy.

I'd like something 2012 onwards, mileage under 80,000, petrol preferably (or a super reliable diesel), half decent mpg (ie. around 40 or above), budget 5-7k. Something reliable as I plan on keeping for a long time.

Options i've thought about:

Mazda 6 estate 2.0 petrol (Don't think the saloon would work for us)

Toyota avensis 1.8 estate (but do these have oil burning problems?)

Civic estate. What are the 1.6 diesels like as these are a lot more common than the petrol.

Hyundai I40 estate, or Kia ceed estate but not many petrol options from what I can see with these

Ford focus 1.6 estate (But the boot space in these doesn't seem much bigger than a normal civic)

Ford C max 1.6 (Seem cheap, don't really like the looks of them though)

Mondeo. Don't know if there are good petrol options in these. Also had an 08 mazda 6 for a bit which is similiar, It was tired, heavy and not very nice to drive.

Feedback/ suggestions appreciated!

Family car recommendation 5-7k - SLO76
Much depends on what’s available nearby. The Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv Estate is a brilliant car but you’ll need more money, ditto a decent Honda Civic Estate. Both are great cars and while the Mazda diesel is best avoided Honda’s 1.6 DTEC has a great reputation both for longevity and economy.

A Mondeo estate can be had with a 1.6 Yamaha designed petrol turbo or a Mazda 2.0 petrol both N/A and turbo. All are robust if looked after and great to drive. Don’t dismiss the 2.0 diesels though, they’re capable of big miles if looked after and used for regular longer runs. I’d leave the fragile 1.6 diesels though.

The C-Max is a good shout with the tough Yamaha designed 1600 petrol. Good to drive, reliable, practical and cheap to run. Look out for neglected cars with no history though. The Focus estate is essentially the same car underneath.

Mazda 5 petrol is another worthy big family car at this money.

Toyota Verso also makes much sense in petrol form.

The Toyota Avensis estate is a tough big family wagon with the robust 1800 petrol. I own a 2010 example with nearly 100k up and it’s used not one drop of oil, in fact it’s still golden when I checked it recently despite being in there for a year.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/07/2021 at 11:11

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the civic estates are at least 2k more than a normal civic, seem to command a premium with them not being made for long and the accord production stopping.

The Mazda 6's look lovely but yeah out of the price range for now.

I'll look into the Mondeo's a bit more but probably not what I'm after running cost wise.

C max is tempting as can pick them up at decent prices but I fear I won't get on with the boot size which is a bit smaller than the civic.

Hadn't thought of 5's or versos.

Good to know that 09 on avensis engines are fine.

I've got some time to properly look into all the options anyway, going to monitor things with mine and if I see things turn for the worse I've time to get rid.

Family car recommendation 5-7k - Heidfirst

Toyota avensis 1.8 estate (but do these have oil burning problems?)

For the T25 not after mid-2005 (July iirc) production. The T27 (2009>) uses a totally different engine & afaik (& I run one so have an interest) has no reputation for this at all.

Family car recommendation 5-7k - barney100

Volvo V70, great workhorse.

Family car recommendation 5-7k - badbusdriver

Volvo V70, great workhorse.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer with the 1.4 turbo petrol. £7k will get you into a 2015 car with under 80k miles. Huge boot with the third row seats folded, but that extra two seats could come in handy.

Also Astra estate, but for that budget its more likely to be the n/a 1.6 petrol.

Don't know if the Volvo's are a bit old for me, massive cars though.

I've always steered away from Vauxhall's, have they got better? I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) they're quite cheaply built and therefore not as reliable

Family car recommendation 5-7k - catsdad
As I said in the other thread I also sold my Civic. I went to a Golf estate 1.4 petrol. It's a nicer car to drive but unlikey to last as long as a (non 2012) Civic. Effective space is no more up to the parcel shelf than the Civic hatchback but it's a more nimble drive and very economical. Using the full estate height would give more space of course.

While I find the 1.4 125hp petrol as quick as the Honda 1.8 I might be tempted to look for a 148hp version in an Octavia or Seat Leon if I wanted space and poke.

Of the other recommendations, all are good. I had three Mondeo company cars from a very wide list. Several of my colleagues had multiple Mondeos too. They just do so many things right. But they are very big to park and even late models don't all come with sensors.

I've always steered away from Vauxhall's, have they got better? I've always assumed (perhaps wrongly) they're quite cheaply built and therefore not as reliable

Better than what?. Vauxhall's have never been 'bad', at least not en masse. Yes there have been Vauxhall's which weren't very good, but that is the same with pretty much all manufacturers.

I'd much sooner have a Zafira Tourer (1.4t) than any C Max. And I wouldn't rate a Focus estate any higher than an Astra estate unless handling is the highest priority.

Don't a lot of them have m32 gearboxes which seem to have common issues?

Yeah Mondeos definitely look like a viable option, especially if the 2.0 diesels are reliable as mentioned. Seem to get a lot of car for your money

Don't a lot of them have m32 gearboxes which seem to have common issues?

Not something I've been aware of cropping up on the forum?. We had a Meriva from 2011-2014 and while there were things about it I didn't like, the gearbox gave us no problems at all.

Don't know if the Volvo's are a bit old for me, massive cars though.

2013 Mazda 6 estate length: 4800mm, width: 1840mm

2013 Volvo V70 length: 4824mm, width: 1861mm

How much bigger the Volvo is than the Mazda going by its footprint: (approx) 1.5%

Those Volvo's are nice cars like, fetch good money though.

I'd love a massive car really, just a case of measuring up size Vs engine size Vs cost Vs mpg etc. I do like researching different cars like, I get carried away.

Obviously internet problems are always exaggerated but does seem there's some common gearbox issues with the Vauxhall's from what I can see.

Edited by Hc2012 on 15/07/2021 at 19:51

Quick update. Got rid of the civic.

Bought a 2012 Mondeo 2.0tdci zetec for a decent price and only 49,000 miles on it. Loving it so far, hopefully going to be a great family car for us.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Family car recommendation 5-7k - SLO76
Bit of a Mondeo fan myself and the 2.0 TDCi is the one to have for all round ability and economy. It can suffer the usual diesel related issues if it isn’t looked after or sees a regular long run but they’re generally pretty robust. I hope it serves you well.