What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta 2006 - Slight disc brake rub - Fiesta1234

Hello, I have a slight scraping rotational noise from the front wheels when I'm driving around built up areas it bounces off the buildings so seems louder. It's a constant scrape noise from the front wheels

This only started happening after replacing discs and pads on the front. Everything is installed correctly and grease using the proper stuff. Everything is moving smoothly. Is this scrape because the new pads need too bed in because they are all new? Bearing in mind they are mintex m1144 pads. Brakes feel brilliant other than that slight noise

Cheers

Ford fiesta 2006 - Slight disc brake rub - John F

Hello, I have a slight scraping rotational noise .... Everything is installed correctly and grease using the proper stuff. Everything is moving smoothly. Is this scrape because the new pads need too bed in because they are all new?

Possibly. But a caliper piston might be sticking, although I would have thought this unlikely as it would have been pushed back into a fresh clean internal area of its cylinder. Check the disc temperature after a journey without much braking. If it is unduly hot compared to the other side, this might be the cause. Presumably the new pads could move reasonably freely along their presumably scraped and wire brushed mountings.

Ford fiesta 2006 - Slight disc brake rub - bathtub tom

Check you haven't got a stone trapped betwen the splash guard and disc, or that a disc is rubbing against the splash guard.

Hello, I have just been out and had a look and the caliper piston is moving nice and freely and the pad ears are moving freely aswell. I noticed that when the piston retracts afyer you release the brake pedal, the pad doesn't come back with the piston because the clip on the back of the pad isn't fitting tightly into the piston if you know what I mean?

The pad is remaining in contact with the rotor because the piston isn't pulling the pad back with it. Is this something that needs sorting or shall I just leave it. Brakes seem too work absolutely fine

Cheers

Just been on a drive and did what you said about the temperatures.

There is around a 10 degrees celsius difference between the two sides. I did about a 10-15 mile drive and the rubbing rotor was at around 45 degrees whereas the other side was around 36 degreees. The wheels were warm but not burning too touch or anything. Could keep my hand on both of them with stinging.

Ford fiesta 2006 - Slight disc brake rub - John F

...pad doesn't come back with the piston because the clip on the back of the pad isn't fitting tightly into the piston if you know what I mean?

Yes I do

The pad is remaining in contact with the rotor because the piston isn't pulling the pad back with it. Is this something that needs sorting or shall I just leave it. Brakes seem too work absolutely fine

I might try to bend the clip if possible so it grips the inside of the piston a bit better, but if the temperature difference is only a few degrees i'd probably live with the noise, which might disappear after a few weeks.

Hello, I have tried bending the clip but it hasn't made any difference. I have noticed that when the caliper retaining spring in the front is installed it makes the pads drag but when the clip is removed the wheel is easier too turn. Almost as if the spring is pulling the caliper hard against the pads. Can I leave this spring off? The scraping noise has disappeared with removing the clip and driving around.

Edited by Fiesta1234 on 13/07/2021 at 13:11