What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - Astarte

Hi all,

I'm in the market to get a new Honda CR-V after our one was written of a month ago :(

I know I definitely want another as we loved our car, I'm just a little unsure about years/specs/pricing.

I've found 2 near to me;

2007 (57 reg)

2.2 i-CDTi EX 5dr

84,000 miles

And;

2009 (09 reg)

2.2 i-CDTi ES 5dr

80,000 miles

Both £4,900

This is one of the dealers I'm considering buying from. Pinewood Autos Godstone

However, they've very mixed reviews, some of them warning to stay well clear!

Anyone had experience with them? They seemed extremely helpful/sincere.

Thank you

My logical brain tells me it makes more sense to get the newer version but something also tells me the 2007 is actually a better car?

Any tips?

Also, does anyone know of reputable/recommended places in Sussex to buy used cars, I'd appreciate it. I'm always slightly concerned at being ripped off.

Edited by moderator, both questions logical in the same place.

Thank you so much!

Edited by _ORB_ on 11/07/2021 at 12:55

I'd basically just like some advise on whether the 2009 model is much better than the 2007 and what the difference is between;

2.2 i-CDTi ES 5dr

2.2 i-CDTi EX 5dr

Thanks so much

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - Mike H

They are both overpriced, the first one by about 100%, although in the current environment the newer one might be just about OK. The EX is the top spec, the ES is next to top. The biggest thing to look out for on these is the clutch, if it needs replacing you should replace the DMF at the same time, and the cost of doing it is up to £1000. The diesels don't seem particularly troublesome, but there's always a danger of problems with the emissions related equipment. Neither will have a DPF which is a plus point.

If you have the registration numbers you can check the MOT history online which will give you an idea as to how they've been looked after.

If you are on Facebook there is a very active CR-V owners group, of which I'm a member, and you'll find lots of info there, and also a buyer's guide.

Thank you, that's super helpful.

From what I've found so far, it's difficult to find a CRV with lower Mileage- these two only have 80,000, hence the price I think?

I didn't realise petrol were cheaper to fix, thank you.

And thanks for the CRV facebook page, I'll head over there too.

Thanks again

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - SLO76
I personally wouldn’t buy an old diesel SUV on this budget, I’d stick with a petrol estate car like a Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis or Ford Mondeo. Your money will buy a newer car that will do similar mpg, offer plenty of room, it’ll drive better and it'll be more reliable. Honda’s 2.2 CDTi motor isn’t anywhere near as long lived as their petrol equivalents. They can suffer a multitude of problems at this age as with any older diesel.

If you absolutely must have a diesel SUV at this money (I strongly advise against) then buy on condition and history over age and price. You need to hear it start and drive it from cold to check for rattling timing chain and clutch judder. Clutches are weak on these, they can also suffer timing chain and turbo issues along with fuelling issues. Any diesel at this age can rapidly become a vastly money-pit.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/07/2021 at 13:52

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - badbusdriver

Despite the Honda 2.2 diesel being a reliable lump, I wouldn't have either unless I actually needed a diesel.

If you actually need a diesel, then without seeing the cars, or at the very least, the MOT history, nobody here can tell you which is the best. So I'm curious as to why you think the 2007 car would be better?

Reliable lump? Is this because of it being diesel? Some are also petrol.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference between

2.2 i-CDTi ES 2.2 i-CDTi EX meant

Unless you need diesel because of mileage or towing requirements, I'd be getting a petrol. More reliable overall, but perhaps more importantly, much cheaper to repair should anything go wrong (and on a 13+ year old car, that's more a when not if question).

ES and EX are just different trim levels, EX is the higher spec of the two.

Super helpful, thank you

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - madf

ES? Mid level trim

EX top level trim.

Mechanically the same.

Thank you

This is a better bet than a diesel SUV at this money. It’ll do 40mpg plus on a run and there’s no real worries. There’s no complex Diesel engine, no turbo and no timing belt. It’s robust and simple yet hugely spacious. I own one myself and it’s been a great car to date.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105253043404

Reliable Yamaha designed petrol engine and cheap to run.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106113738622

How about a practical classic from the days when Mercedes built good cars? Keep this nice and it’ll go up in value.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106123775387

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - nellyjak
How about a practical classic from the days when Mercedes built good cars? Keep this nice and it’ll go up in value. I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106123775387

That's a peach, SLO....I just couldn't do without air-con now...but a lovely example that is sure to increase in value if it continues to be looked after.

“ That's a peach, SLO....I just couldn't do without air-con now...but a lovely example that is sure to increase in value if it continues to be looked after.”

I really like the 124 series. These were all about quality. Zero gadgets, a radio was an optional extra. Simple engines and gearboxes all well made and only gradually updated. I very nearly bought a 1990 H 250D auto saloon a while back. Had it been an estate I wouldn’t have been able to say no.
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V 2007 or 2009? East Sussex? - MGspannerman

I bought a mid 90s, 75k M reg 300D saloon a few years ago with the idea of running a practical classic for everyday use. Lovely car to drive with its interior sprung leather seats and waftability. However there was a constant stream of minor but irritating faults some of which I could not easily fix myself. Things like wheel bearings, steering knuckles, rear subframe mount bearings, or whatever they are (at £350) and then the ubiquitous glow plug problem in that they tend to corrode into the head and then snap off when they need to be removed, a helicoil job. Also the wiring looms are fragile and it is not unknown for replacement to be necessary.

Great as a classic car with a eurobox for everyday but I wouldn’t want one as my only car. In fact I drive another of the vehicles recommended by SLO - a petrol Toyota Avensis estate. Bought at two years and 10k old, now 5.5 yrs and 60k and what’s gone wrong with it - nothing.

I really like the 124 series. These were all about quality. Zero gadgets, a radio was an optional extra. Simple engines and gearboxes all well made and only gradually updated. I very nearly bought a 1990 H 250D auto saloon a while back. Had it been an estate I wouldn’t have been able to say no.

I have a real hankering for a 190. Weirdly though, the specific version I'd like is the 2.5D!.