What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - Rerepo

Brexit continuing to deliver! Vauxhall Electric Vans to be built in Ellesmere Port!

mol.im/a/9751529

All very confusing, isn't it? The Remainer propaganda was telling us to expect car manufacturing to collapse and a shortage of medicines, yet we are seeing massive inward investment in the motor industry and a world-beating vaccine rollout which is the envy of every other European country!

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - Bromptonaut

Is this, like Nissan's battery factory, lubricated with government money?

I strongly suspect it's despite Brexit rather than a triumph for leaving.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/07/2021 at 11:12

Is this, like Nissan's battery factory, lubricated with government money?

You mean like the EU bribed JLR with £250M to NOT make the Defender in the UK but relocate to Slovakia? Or the EU paying Ford to move Transit production out of the UK? Or the French incentivising the production of Grenadier in France rather than UK? The EU has spent the last 40 years using OUR money to 'lubricate' the migration of UK car manufacturing to the EU mainland. Finally we are free to fight back!

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - daveyjp

There are plenty of other forums for EU discussion, which will procide actual facts behind the above statements, but this isn't one of them.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/07/2021 at 11:40

You mean like the EU bribed JLR with £250M to NOT make the Defender in the UK but relocate to Slovakia?

Ahh, the classic Brexiteer response; bluster and whataboutery.

You mean like the EU bribed JLR with £250M to NOT make the Defender in the UK but relocate to Slovakia?

Ahh, the classic Brexiteer response; bluster and whataboutery.

Bluster and whataboutery? Inconvenient truth more like! Its a fact that JLR received massive subsidies to build their €1.4 billion factory - subsidies were conditional on the factory being built in the region of Nitra (Slovakia), an area eligible for regional aid under EU State aid rules (Art. 107(3)(a) of the Treaty on the functioning of the European Union).

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - Metropolis.
I used to get quite agitated at remainers sniping, but fact is we won, we are out, so post brexit remainers are the new generation of whenwes
I used to get quite agitated at remainers sniping, but fact is we won, we are out, so post brexit remainers are the new generation of whenwes

Those who think Brexit was a mistake are perfectly entitled to say so.

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - Metropolis.
Yes, I agree. My point was more that we need not take any notice of them, because we won.

Edited by Metropolis. on 03/07/2021 at 12:57

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - badbusdriver

From Xileno on another thread about more or less the same thing:

Threads involving Brexit usually don't end well but we will let this run for now providing:

• Brexit discussions relate to impacts on the motor industry, either good or bad.
  • People are civil to each other.

If it becomes too political or any sniping or general unpleasantness then it gets locked.

Another Brexit Boost - New Vauxhall EV Factory - Xileno

It's certainly good news about the Vauxhall announcement, the extent to which Brexit played a part, well people will have their own views on that.

I think we've probably extracted anything of value from the discussions so before the thread decays too much I'm locking it.