What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Drink driving - Personal limits. - _

We haave some friends visiting, She doesn't drink, but he does, youngrovergirl does not either, and I tolerate less nowadays.

They were however amazed that I "only" had one not very strong beer when out for a meal saturday.

YRG could have driven, but I actually only prefer to have 1 low alcohol drink, mostly for the taste. Can't stand colas, or pops.

It's easier and safer not to have any at all.

Edited by _ORB_ on 28/06/2021 at 10:10

Drink driving - Personal limits. - John F

The French are perhaps the most civilised regarding alcohol. A meal out will usually last around two hours. A bottle of wine contains six 125 ml glasses, enough for two people to enjoy a glass as an aperitif with perhaps a few nuts and olives, a glass for the main course and a glass with the cheese. Of these three or four units of alcohol, around two will have been metabolised by the time of the drive home. Assuming average body size and a zero blood alcohol to start with, the French limit of 0.5mg per ml (lower than ours - which is out of kilter with Europe and too high at 0.8mg) is unlikely to be breached.

We often enjoy lunch out, and I usually have just one pint of good ale. Anyone caught in England (Scotland =France) is likely to be at least what is known as a 'problem drinker' and at worst a full blown 'alcoholic', with all the health and social issues that entails.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Engineer Andy

The French are perhaps the most civilised regarding alcohol. A meal out will usually last around two hours. A bottle of wine contains six 125 ml glasses, enough for two people to enjoy a glass as an aperitif with perhaps a few nuts and olives, a glass for the main course and a glass with the cheese. Of these three or four units of alcohol, around two will have been metabolised by the time of the drive home. Assuming average body size and a zero blood alcohol to start with, the French limit of 0.5mg per ml (lower than ours - which is out of kilter with Europe and too high at 0.8mg) is unlikely to be breached.

We often enjoy lunch out, and I usually have just one pint of good ale. Anyone caught in England (Scotland =France) is likely to be at least what is known as a 'problem drinker' and at worst a full blown 'alcoholic', with all the health and social issues that entails.

I agree that the British attitude to social drinking leaves a LOT to de desired when compared to our European neighbours, especially those from France and The Med.

I must admit that being a tea-totaller (I've tried alcoholic drinks about 5 times in my life, and apart from once [it likely was a very lemonadey Pimms], I never lied the taste), I've always found it difficult to fit in with friends and colleagues whilst out at pubs.

Many people still seems to revel in consuming as much alcohol as possible (though to be fair, drinking and driving is far less common nowadays that it was 30+ years ago, thanks to government campaigns and knock-on societal effects) when out for the evening, whereas muggins here sits there stone cold sober - difficult to hold any kind of conversation with someone who's downed half a dozen pints and more half way through the evening.

I'd be interested to know why our limit is higher than other nations.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Bromptonaut

I'd be interested to know why our limit is higher than other nations.

Other countries have reduced theirs in line with emerging evidence about the degree of impairment when below the current limit. Although it's now usually expressed as measured in breath, in line with the move to lab standard breath analysis 30+ years ago, I don't think the limit in England has changed since the limit was first introduced c1965.

Governments of both stripes have suggested it ought to be reduced. Any suggestion of an actual change is subject to a full on campaign from the drinks industry focussed on rural pubs etc. and a policy change that goes no further.

The lower limit in Scotland got there in spite of such campaigns. It's struck be before that the large 'hospitality dram' offered on distillery tours could put you near that limit.

I take the point in the other post about differing limits but the bottom line is that it's up to people to find out. More of an issue in UK perhaps whereas US people are used to laws differing significantly between States. Also, a lot of them never leave the State they were born in or live in.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - focussed

"The French are perhaps the most civilised regarding alcohol"

Don't forget that french police and gendarmes can stop any vehicle any time anywhere and have the driver take a breath test - they don't have to have a reason.

Sometimes they stake out a roundabout for about a hour and stop all entering traffic and every driver gets gets tested.

A mate and I on motorbikes got stopped and breath tested at 9.00 am entering the next town as the town had been "fest noz" the night before ( Breton for an official town p*** up)

If you go into a relais cafe at lunchtime you will see the pro drivers with half a glass of red wine topped up with water.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Metropolis.
My personal rule is 1 pint outside M25, half pint within.
My personal rule is 1 pint outside M25, half pint within.

Interested to know why. Is it because establishments serve weaker booze outside of the influence of London, or just the extortionate price of booze there? :-)

Edited by Engineer Andy on 28/06/2021 at 19:48

We haave some friends visiting, She doesn't drink, but he does, youngrovergirl does not either, and I tolerate less nowadays.

They were however amazed that I "only" had one not very strong beer when out for a meal saturday.

YRG could have driven, but I actually only prefer to have 1 low alcohol drink, mostly for the taste. Can't stand colas, or pops.

It's easier and safer not to have any at all.

Obviously any alcoholic drink consumed will, after being digested, compromise driving ability to some degree, but I suppose, like everything, laws are used to provide some degree of reasonableness - hopefully after scientific studies were carried out.

I do think it's daft for different regions (e.g. in the UK - if they do [not sure]) or states (in say the US, again, if they do) to have different levels, given I think that they should be nationwide, so everyone knows what those limits are to avoid any confusion.

I presume that other than evidence on the above, the limit wasn't set to zero here because some people can show small levels of alcohol in their blood due to taking certain medications such as cough remedies, or in some cases, foods that have alcohol in them.

As regards our personal choices, I would always advocate not drinking alcohol when you know you're going to drive reasonably soon after (apparently there is a technical argument that there will be an amount of time between consuming a drink and the effects kicking in, but that may be hard to judge and will likely differ from person to person).

Best to be safe than sorry, especially when the consequences are likely to more than oneself.

Other things to always consider are whether you're eating as well, which I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) appears to reduce the effects to some degree or reduce the time they effect you, as does your size/metabolism - I remember in Sixth Form a girl who was very small getting drunk on one can of (not very strong) beer/lager. Whether not being a regular drinker makes any difference either, I don't know.

I'm 'lucky' as I'm not keen on the taste of alcoholic drinks, so avoid them. Fizzy drinks can be a right pain, as they do fill you up - apart from when having 'burger' or 'fried chicken' type meals when out occasionally, I tend to just drink tap water at restaurants with my meals.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Brit_in_Germany

A pointless thread which can only give the suggestion that it is OK to drink and drive. Indeed, a bottle of red can have 10 units so drinking half is well into licence loss territory.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Alby Back
I never drive after consuming alcohol. Not even a drop. My closest friend was killed by a drink driver who thought he'd be ok because he'd had a meal and given it a couple of hours. He wasn't ok, and he needlessly killed just about the nicest guy I've ever known. I simply couldn't do it.

The driver lost his licence of course, and did time and lost his job apparently. But that can't begin to make up for what he did because he wanted to drink and drive.
Drink driving - Personal limits. - barney100

We've always had a problem with alcohol, gin palaces in London, I lived a short way from a 'Temperance hall', drinking up time was introduced in the First World War and I suppose we have got used to getting it down before the bell went or time gentlemen please. The beer and rum allowance in Nelson's time would floor me, drive a car with that inside me?...they drove a first rate warship on it. However for me it's half a pint or more likely today lime and soda.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - madf

A pint of lager shandy when driving. Period.

(I was once breathalised at 11pm after an all day meeting about 150 miles away. It was less than a mile from home, I had driven nearly 300 miles in the day and had drunk 1 pint of lager at lunch. My metabolism got rid of all the alcohol in 11 hours or so but I was a long distance runner then and it worked very quickly. So blew zero.

Today I have stopped running and do more sedate pastimes so my metabolism has slowed)

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Sulphur Man

A thread where posts talk about units, amounts, pints, half-pints, bottles and glasses - with no understanding of what that means against the legal limit of alchohol in the bloodstream.

No one knows if one pint of lager (might be 3% ABV, might be 5,5%ABV) or a glass of red wine (small? large?) is going to make you a drink driver if caught.

The answer - Make it zero. Everyone understands zero. No one understands where the legal limit lies in terms of measures and alcoholic drinks.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 29/06/2021 at 12:36

A thread where posts talk about units, amounts, pints, half-pints, bottles and glasses - with no understanding of what that means against the legal limit of alchohol in the bloodstream.

No one knows if one pint of lager (might be 3% ABV, might be 5,5%ABV) or a glass of red wine (small? large?) is going to make you a drink driver if caught.

The answer - Make it zero. Everyone understands zero. No one understands where the legal limit lies in terms of measures and alcoholic drinks.

The problem with zero is that this catches people with a very small amount in their body from legit over the counter medicines and foods that they may not be (fully) aware of, that probably makes no difference at all to their driving ability.

I would say it needs to be just high enough to allow for that, but low enough so that it's lower than any standard alcoholic drink. I fully understand there would be a 'grey area' that some people may try to push by mixing alcohol with other drinks to weaken it, but perhaps the advice would then still be "don't drink anything with alcohol in it", hopefully leaving those in that situation I mentioned in the paragraph above.

The other issue is how long people stop drinking before driving, given the varied effects of individuals' metabolism, activity, whether they are eating when drinking and what, as well as their general health and what they'll be doing in the intervening period.

When I worked in the rail industry for a while, they were very strict and, if I recall, operated both a no drink for 12 hours before working (and driving [cars/vans] to/from work). They even had a ban on bringing alcholo into company premises, even if bought for another time (e.g. at Christmas) - anyone caught got the sack on the spot (and did).

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Sulphur Man

Fair point - and that's a problem that can be easily monitored through evidence of medicine intake, such as a prescription or receipt. And it's going to be an infrequent edge case too.

There is no issue with people still being over the limit due to poor metabolism or excessive drinking the previous day or night. They should use a breathalyser test, as the alcohol will still be present in the digestive system.

The alcohol legislation for drivers should be the same as for pilots and surgeons. Zero. Anything else leaves drivers chancing it, as we have now, and the tragedy that inflicts.

And I like a drink and a good pub. But the idea of driving somewhere, for a half a shandy, is just rubbish. So I either avoid that scenario by not drinking at all, or use public transport or a minicab.

Fair point - and that's a problem that can be easily monitored through evidence of medicine intake, such as a prescription or receipt. And it's going to be an infrequent edge case too.

There is no issue with people still being over the limit due to poor metabolism or excessive drinking the previous day or night. They should use a breathalyser test, as the alcohol will still be present in the digestive system.

The alcohol legislation for drivers should be the same as for pilots and surgeons. Zero. Anything else leaves drivers chancing it, as we have now, and the tragedy that inflicts.

And I like a drink and a good pub. But the idea of driving somewhere, for a half a shandy, is just rubbish. So I either avoid that scenario by not drinking at all, or use public transport or a minicab.

Indeed - I'm just glad the issue isn't anywhere as much a problem as it used to be - more now to do with rowdy behaviour by drunks in, outside or on the way home from said establishment! I pity the many taxi, minicab and bus drivers who have to put up with drunks.

It seems those government ads on TV seemed to change a lot of people's attitudes. Of course, it could also easily be the additional issue of car-owners in the 90s onwards not wanting to total their nice shiny motor more than their counterparts from the 60s, 70s and 80s...

I must admit at college in the 90s finding it odd how the medical students had a reputation as being the biggest drinkers. Hopefully they imbibed after coming off shift when they qualified rather than before.

Better to be safe than sorry and not indulge within at least 12hrs, if not quite a bit more, especially if that was going to be more than just one drink or you weren't sure about the effect of different units, etc.

Just glad I don't have to worry about it as a tea-totaller, even if that does mean me ending up as chauffeur more often than I'd like.

I think Sulphur Man was talking about zero as a policy for what you drink rather than the DD limit.

He's quite right though about units; most people do not understand them.

One measure of spirits is reasonably certain but beware 'automatic' doubles. The measure in Scotland used to be more than England but I don't know if the survived gills becoming ml/cl.

Beer is based on a half pint of old fashioned quaffing ale - around 3.5% in modern parlance. With many beers at 5% or more there's a trap there.

Wine is pretty much a lottery. The unit is based on a small glass, less than 100ml I think, of sub 10% ABV wine. If anybody thinks a large glass of Shiraz. (say 14.5%) is a unit they'll come undone pdq.

The limit for flyers I think is 20mg in 100ml of breath. Pilots are caught with monotonous regularity. One famous example involved a Captain on Pakistan International who's gait and alcohol aroma attracted attention of Security. He spent the night in the cells and not, as scheduled, the flight deck of an Airbus A310.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - Falkirk Bairn

DD limit in E&W is blowing over 35

Scotland is 22

I used to enjoy a drink with a meal - now soft drinks only.

I am not the only one - golf clubs, bowling clubs & country pubs have all felt the effect of people drinking less when out & about.

Has it affected the DD convictions? - not really. DD in local court are usually a lot over the levels. Cannot remember seeing many or maybe any convictions in between blowing 22 and 35.

Meanwhile closures all round rather than drinks all round.

Drink driving - Personal limits. - ExA35Owner

The Met have run breath testing sessions at London stations in the mornings, showing drinkers that they can still be (a) illegal abd more importantly (b) dangerous the morning after the night before. Shock horror for many who had of course driven to their station to catch the commuter train, but equally couldn't be prosecuted.

I drink very little, but I won't drink any alcohol in the 24h before I go bus driving. I want my passengers to be safe.

The Met have run breath testing sessions at London stations in the mornings, showing drinkers that they can still be (a) illegal abd more importantly (b) dangerous the morning after the night before.

I was very lucky on my London commuter days not to be caught that way.

Has it affected the DD convictions? - not really. DD in local court are usually a lot over the levels. Cannot remember seeing many or maybe any convictions in between blowing 22 and 35.

If that's what you're using as a success measure you may be missing the point. The starting point is that Scottish Government believe there is evidence that drivers are already significantly impaired below 35. I think I've seen stuff that suggests that using either driving simulators or private land/skittles and feeding giving drink unit by unit.

If people are deterred from pushing their luck at a pint and a half then maybe that's a win?

I suspect the number cuaght in E&W in the 35-45 rangeis quite low; those who are paralytic are disinhibited to the point it doesn't matter.