What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 5 - Changing car - garcon6
Thinking of buying Mazda CX-5. My Mazda 5, was valued at £6000, Thinking of CX-5, about £20,000. Now should I keep my Mazda 5, with 40,000 and get car serviced. I will have to pay monthly for 3-5 years, for a 2018! plate. My car is a low mileage, but eight years old.

Mazda 5 - Changing car - SLO76
A 40,000 mile Mazda 5 petrol that’s in solid condition underneath should offer many years of reliable service yet. It’s practical and decent to drive. The market for cars right now is mad, prices are sky high so I’d just keep it. I wouldn’t pay £20k for a three year old CX5, nice as it is. Your old car is mechanically simple and any decent independent garage can service it cheaply.
Mazda 5 - Changing car - Terry W

If your current Mazda is in good order with only 40k on the clock, it probably has 5+ years life left in it. Cost in depreciation ~£1k pa.

2018 CX5 will cost you £2-3k pa in depreciation over the next 5 years - depending on future trade in value then.

New car will be a little nicer with a few more toys but more complex to fix and service. The question is whether you want to pay the extra money for the pleasure of driving something newer - only you can decide.

I’m going to keep the car, probably for another 2-3. At least i can save for a deposit for a new car when the time is right. In five years, no faults with the car. Only I stop battery and I just replaced the main original battery. Think it’s the right decision, and no need to rush to change cars. Unless Mazda garage offer me an enchanced deal.
Thank you. Keeping the car, I wasn’t overwhelmed with the CX-5. Don’t need all the extra toys.
Mazda 5 - Changing car - Engineer Andy
Thank you. Keeping the car, I wasn’t overwhelmed with the CX-5. Don’t need all the extra toys.

I felt the same when I looked to change my 15yo gen-1 Mazda3 to a new gen-3 car back in early 2017. Nice car it was, but it (despite having 20% more power and 50% more torque) underwhelmed on the perfomance front and the purchase price was high (as was most rivals at the time). I had similar issues trying to find a mid-spec car - 75% were top spec, anothe 15-20% base spec (no climate control), little to no bargians on mid spec cars on the few that were even available.

The latest cars are a significant step up in interior quality and styling, and the SA-X engine and the 2.5 SA-G are decent (if not spectacular), but it is tough finding a reasonably-priced one, as most cars are (including those second hand up to 2yo).

If I were you, keep looking until you find what exactly suits you best, then keep an eye on dealers and the car supermarkets for particular bargains that may appear from time to time. You migth get lucky with a local dealer or car supermarket desperate to flog something you really like. Then you can pounce before anyone else does.

That's how I snapped up my current car (del miles only car at Motorpoint), saving over 25% (£3k+) on the new price back in 2006 and well over £1k the best price that any broker could get at the time. Unfortunately, the market being as it is at the moment means that supply is severely restricted for newer cars, leading to higher prices on the secondhand front.

Yes, it’s definitely for keeps. Thanks for your advice.