What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Multi lane roundabouts - barney100

blackdamp just off the M3 We have a multi lane roundabout at Blackdam Basingstoke. There have been several recent collisions recently with one resulting in serious injuries. Even local drivers can get the lanes mixed up but visitors must be really confused. I was bumped a there by a lane changer and the number of times someone in the straight on lane gets it wrong and cuts across is common.

Multi lane roundabouts - Bromptonaut

Any chance of a Google Image?

Multi lane roundabouts - Heidfirst

www.romseyadvertiser.co.uk/news/basingstoke/193446.../

it's worth reading the comments as it would appear largely driver error. Still, if it's that bad it should get flagged up in the statistics & whoever is responsible for the road should review it.

Multi lane roundabouts - Engineer Andy

www.romseyadvertiser.co.uk/news/basingstoke/193446.../

it's worth reading the comments as it would appear largely driver error. Still, if it's that bad it should get flagged up in the statistics & whoever is responsible for the road should review it.

Probably because they are quite different in usage to standard roundbouts and not very common. It's not surprising that many people get confused, which can easily result in accidents.

Multi lane roundabouts - Engineer Andy

blackdamp just off the M3 We have a multi lane roundabout at Blackdam Basingstoke. There have been several recent collisions recently with one resulting in serious injuries. Even local drivers can get the lanes mixed up but visitors must be really confused. I was bumped a there by a lane changer and the number of times someone in the straight on lane gets it wrong and cuts across is common.

I don't like those type of roundabouts. There's (at least) one in Cambridge near me (and which also has traffic lights on) - locals like myself know the score, but less frequent visiors and some drivers of larger vehicles either don't understand or ignore the road markings, which are by their nature completely different to those of 'standard' multi-lane roundabouts.

All it takes is one road user not knowing/caring as to how to correctly use them compared to 'ordinary' roundabouts and you've got an accident waiting to happen. I've had several near misses on the Cambridge one even after driving defensively and expecting problems.

Personally speaking, I think the government should stick to the original (most common by several magnitudes) type that force drivers to (correctly) signal to change lanes from the centre ot the outer portion of the roundabout as they approach the turn-off point.

These roundabouts are, in my view, at least as dangerous as those of the 'magic' type that can be found in Swindon and Hemel Hempsted.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/06/2021 at 17:05

Multi lane roundabouts - badbusdriver

Had a look at the roundabout in question and I have to say, it does look pretty confusing to me (that isn't necessarily saying much though!). So I can well understand 'non-locals' getting flummoxed by it.

A couple of years ago when the Aberdeen western peripheral route (AWPR) opened, I was confused and taken aback by the lane instructions getting on to it coming from the North. Pulling off the A90 to the left, you have two lanes going up an incline to a 'roundabout-bridge' spanning the dual carriageway. To get on to the AWPR you are going right, taking the 3rd exit, but you can do so from both the right and left hand lane going on to the roundabout. This catches out many drivers and, to me anyway, not only is counter intuitive, but there doesn't seem to be any benefit to the layout.

Multi lane roundabouts - Xileno

Looks like an old Series Landrover might be a good vehicle to have in that situation. When I had mine, cars seemed to always give me a wide berth, can't think why, possibly the bumper on the front was a bit intimidating...