Time to replace Saab 9-3 - C-Max TDCI/1.8 petrol - Trilogy.

The time has come to replace the 1998 Saab 9-3 which has been in the family since 2002. We need a vehicle that's easier for my elderly mother to get in and out of. With a maximum budget of £3,000 a Ford C-Max from 2008 - 2009 is the favoured option. Mileage anticipated to be 5,000 a year, most of this 20 mile plus journeys. I'm favouring a petrol 1.8 but am wondering what the 1.8 TDCI is like for reliability?

Feedback very much appreciated - thanks.

Time to replace Saab 9-3 - C-Max TDCI/1.8 petrol - Graham567

I believe the 1.8 TDCI is quite agricultural. I have the 2.0 TDCI in a 2009 Mondeo and its very quiet and refined.Its been very reliable and I have had no problems with the DPF even though I do a lot of short journeys.So i would look for a C-Max with the two litre engine instead of the 1.8.

Time to replace Saab 9-3 - C-Max TDCI/1.8 petrol - SLO76
With such a limited budget and mileage in mind I’d forget diesel. The most reliable engine option in the C-Max is the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol which is sweeter revving and more refined than the Mazda L series 1.8. I’d widen the net however as buying a cheap car is more about condition than any particular make or model but that’s not to say the C-Max isn’t worthy, it’s an excellent budget family car and very worthy of being on the shortlist.

Others to consider include.

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 petrol
Toyota Verso petrol
Mazda 5 1.8/2.0 petrol
Honda FR-V petrol

Edited by SLO76 on 29/05/2021 at 22:30

Time to replace Saab 9-3 - C-Max TDCI/1.8 petrol - Trilogy.

Thanks for the feedback. There's no hurry to change so I'll wait for the right C-Max to come up for sale. The outside contenders are a MK2 Jazz 1.4 or a Swift 1.5 GLX 5 door.

Time to replace Saab 9-3 - C-Max TDCI/1.8 petrol - badbusdriver

I'm favouring a petrol 1.8 but am wondering what the 1.8 TDCI is like for reliability?

I had a (2006) Ford Transit Connect 1.8TDCI (90PS) for 9 years taking it from just under 60k miles to just over 130k and had absolutely no reliability issues at all. I'd guess the age you'd be looking at would have DPF, not sure about the reliability of them.

I believe the 1.8 TDCI is quite agricultural. I have the 2.0 TDCI in a 2009 Mondeo and its very quiet and refined.Its been very reliable and I have had no problems with the DPF even though I do a lot of short journeys.So i would look for a C-Max with the two litre engine instead of the 1.8.

I didn't find mine agricultural. It wasn't as refined as the Iveco Daily I had beforehand (I put that down to the full lined bulkhead), but it was much more refined than my current VW Caddy 2.0 SDI. That sounds like an old tractor!.

Despite my own experience with the 1.8TDCI, I wouldn't advise getting a diesel for 5k miles per year. Not worth the risk.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/05/2021 at 10:11