What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - Slicky2k

Basically, I just want to get a broad range of opinions from you guys about where money is best placed based on the market just now, with everything considered. Which are the second hand cars you think give the most value for money for mixed driving between city, b roads and motorway, with no specific family or work requirements, just a reliable, fun, fairly economical car with a decent milage on the secondhand market. Where would your money be going?

Cheers

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - Big John

Any clues re size? Diesel/petrol? How many miles do you do? Manual/auto?

Edited by Big John on 24/05/2021 at 16:53

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - skidpan

Seat Leon 1.4 / 1.5 TSi 140 /150 PS.

We had one for almost 4 years, only sold it because we needed more space. Did everything we asked of it. Great to drive, totally reliable, decent space for 4 and luggage, quick as you would ever need, quiet and comfortable and averaged 45 mpg over those 4 years. On a ;long trip it would just beat 50 mpg.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - JonestHon

Nice example of the Lexus IS250 or a high(ish) miles IS300h.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - daveyjp

Toyota or Mazda, whatever meets your budget. Possibly Suzuki as you would get more for your money.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - SLO76
Here’s my favourites around this money. These are just examples of course and most are a bit over budget but it’s worth finding a few hundred quid extra.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104281940719

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105192801252

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105082359535

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011276538195

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104151390701

Edited by SLO76 on 24/05/2021 at 19:36

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - sandy56

Honda Civic- 1.8 petrol. Great build and very reliable and fast enough. Ugly though.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - S40 Man

You can get an 18 plate Astra K with a 200ps engine in your budget.

They are a nice all rounder, decent interior, they look ok, ride and handling tidy enough. Decent value having deprecated quite a bit already.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012237348057

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - pd

So much different criteria, so many different priorities.

I suspect everyone's choice would be different. I don't much like SUVs but do like large saloons.

So my "top value" choice would be something like a Jaguar XF 3.0d S with sensible miles. Others may say an SUV. Or maybe a new Dacia.

No right or wrong answer really.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - John F

..... the most value for money for mixed driving between city, b roads and motorway, with no specific family or work requirements, just a reliable, fun, fairly economical car...

A well preserved 1980 Triumph TR7 DHC. No tax, no MoT requirement, no depreciation, cheap insurance......what's not to like?.....;-)

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - Metropolis.
Are you selling, John? Hope not!
Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - skidpan

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104151390701

That Leon seems very expensive to me. When we PX's our low mileage 2013/13 1.4 TSi 150 PS SE trim in March 2017 it went on the forecourt for £8495. It eventually sold in December 2017 for £7995. That is 3.5 years ago and whilst the one in the advert is a year newer and an FR (only an advantage if you like sports suspension, rubber band tyres and 1/2 plastic seats) its way more that ours sold for.

Just had a quick look nationally and found several low mileage 2015/16 1.4 SE's at about £8k but they are all the 123 PS version. Prices do seem crazy at present.

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - SLO76
“ Prices do seem crazy at present.”

You’re not kidding.

In August 2019 I bought a very nice 63 plate Honda Civic 1.4 VTEC with just over 50,000 miles for my brother in law at £5800 from a Honda dealer, today the same car is selling at almost the same money, ditto my old Toyota.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/05/2021 at 16:02

Best all round second hand car for under £9000 - John F
Are you selling, John? Hope not!

Nope. Only just got its 'historic vehicle' V5C. Applied in April and got it within four weeks. Had to fettle the joints of the four inch rubber pipe connecting the petrol tank to the fuel line; the December MoT (must have one for the 'historic' V5C) had spotted slight oozing. Had to syphon off the fuel. Then first proper drive for six months to get fresh fuel. Hood down, clear country road into town....bliss! So happy I forgot to put the filler cap back on - the second time I've done that in 40yrs. Ignored a faint clatter zooming out of Morrisons petrol station, like running over a strip of metal. Rapid return in the Pug - kind lady on the till had retrieved it. Phew!

I wonder how many have seen their reliable entertaining work-horse evolve into a historic vehicle? What would I choose today?