What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Hot or walk away...? - BPL

What do the acknowledged experts on here think of this pocket rocket or.... damp squid?

2010 48k £3600 2 owners 12months NI Govt run MOT

I wish it was for me but it's for my 23 yo son who has been searching for one for ages.

Insurance quote seems cheap

Edited by BPL on 10/05/2021 at 15:32

Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Hot or walk away...? - SLO76
Great fun to drive but be very cautious when buying as most have been ruined by younger drivers abusing and/or crashing them. Few will have been in the hands of responsible owners so be very careful when assessing the car for accident damage in particular. The timing belt is also due at 6yrs or 72,000 miles whichever comes first and If there’s no proof of it being done (preferably a receipt) then pay the £400(ish) it’ll cost to do the belt, tensioner and water pump along with the ancillary belt as it’s a common killer of these engines. A good, well kept low mileage example will rapidly become a modern classic which will go up in value.
Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Hot or walk away...? - Andrew-T

This is what people said about the 205 GTi thirty years ago. On the other hand, if insurance seems cheap, maybe this Twingo hasn't got that reputation. If the mileage is genuine, 36K seems modest for a 10-year-old car, so it may have belonged to someone having a mid-life crisis (as in a parallel thread) and been driven carefully. I once had a nice 15-year-old GTi with just such a history. Just check everything you can about the car, it's too early to walk away yet. You (or your son) might live to regret doing that :-)

First thing to check is its MoT history (if you can, NI is separate I think), and its service history of course.

I like the idea of a damp squid.

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/05/2021 at 18:16

Renault Twingo Renaultsport - Hot or walk away...? - BPL
Vehicle MOT history

You can't check the MOT history (past results) online for vehicles tested in Northern Ireland.
-Nidirect