What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - wantstolearn

I have searched the forum but found nothing. I have posted on Toyota forum but obviously Toyota enthusiasts. I would welcome views from here.

I am by nature cautious. Thinking of probably 2nd generation. What are the advantages,disadvantages of either system please ? I know very little.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - lucklesspedestrian

Very reliable, sensible cars whichever system you buy. My understanding is that the hybrid makes most sense if you're doing mainly urban, about town driving. The economy advantages are less if you are doing mostly motorway miles.

The hybrid is only available with a CVT auto gearbox so make sure you can get on okay with that.

Whatever you buy the post 2015 facelift cars are better, the 1.2T petrol is better than the 1.33 petrol and also has a better suspension set up.

Headlights are a bit rubbish but easy to get upgraded bulbs from Toyota which do improve things.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - mcintosh

I have searched the forum but found nothing. I have posted on Toyota forum but obviously Toyota enthusiasts. I would welcome views from here.

I am by nature cautious. Thinking of probably 2nd generation. What are the advantages,disadvantages of either system please ? I know very little.

The hybrid is one of the favoured targets of catalytic converter thefts, which is why I’m planning to fit a catloc to mine.

The hybrid’s real-world MPG averages 55 mpg vs 44 mpg for the 1.2L petrol or 1.33L:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013

The hybrid will be more expensive so you have to balance that against fuel efficiency. It’s a car best driven with a very light right foot. If you like to press on a bit or value any sense of driving engagement, it’s probably not for you. The CVT transmission is one of those things you either find you can live with or it’s extremely annoying.

Best to try both if you can.

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful replies. I appreciate people being ready to take the trouble to share their knowledge.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - mcintosh

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful replies. I appreciate people being ready to take the trouble to share their knowledge.

You’re welcome. I like the hybrid but it suits a particular kind of driver.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - bathtub tom

Aren't these vulnerable to cat theft? Where would you park it?

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - Bilboman

I've owned a 1.2T from new, nearly 5 years now, with a very low annual mileage. Overall very pleased. Good economy, comfortable, well equipped, solidly built (doors take a bit of effort, but they give the most solid thunk I've ever heard from a car door.) And of course utterly reliable. I saved a couple of grand by not opting for the hybrid, and I'm comvinced I made the right choice.
The only thing I can fault - a long overdue task on my "to do" list - is the feeble and essentially useless horn, which is easily out-parped by the one on a mobility scooter.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - bathtub tom

The only thing I can fault - a long overdue task on my "to do" list - is the feeble and essentially useless horn, which is easily out-parped by the one on a mobility scooter.

I found the same on my Yaris. There's half decent ones on ebay. It looked like I'd have to remove the entire front of the car to mount it next to the existing one, so I used a threaded hole on the LH side of the engine bay, not perfect, but it does. Used a scotchlock connector to tee into the existing horn wire and the job's a good un. I did wonder if the fuse would be man enough, but it's held so far. I've now a nice loud, discordant horn.

Thanks for further help. Probably settling on petrol. Driving is low mileage and I like things as simple as possible.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - Big John

Thanks for further help. Probably settling on petrol. Driving is low mileage and I like things as simple as possible.

The Auris hybrid uses amazing technology. The oily bits are surprisingly simple - it's not a separate cvt gearbox per say but an epicyclic transaxle incorporating two motors/generators with an engine at one end. It's all controlled electronically which can effectively control gearing, electric drive, engine joining in and or generating etc. Capable of star-ship mileages and very reliable indeed. The elephant in the room is the easily stealable catalytic converter.

The 1.33 uses a very simple old fashioned setup, simples and reliable but not quite as long lived. They are a bit sluggish though. Catalyst on most of these is more integrated into the exhaust manifold so much less likely to be stolen.

I've not had any experience of the 1.2T

Edited by Big John on 02/05/2021 at 22:17

Thanks. Now not sure again

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - JE

I can't offer any experience of the petrol version, but I've owned a hybrid estate version from new, 65 plate facelifted version. Bought it is an alternative to a diesel workhorse estate, now up to 162k miles, no issues other than having the cat stolen whilst parked up at a railway station. Average fuel ecomony measured brim to brim from new is 54mpg on a very wide variety of roads.

The CVT is very good under gentle driving and lower speeds, not too bad on the motorway providing the gradients are gentle. In general, if you live in a hillier area, and that is where most of your driving is, you will probably be better off with a manual petrol, anything more than a moderate gradient requires the CVT to be thrashed to make even moderate progress up the hill, and that knocks fuel economy. I've often wondered whether the 1.2T would be better fuel economy wise on the motorway than the hybrid, depends what the gearing is in 6th gear I suppose.

Thanks. Appreciate your personal experience.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - Tester

'I've often wondered whether the 1.2T would be better fuel economy wise on the motorway than the hybrid, depends what the gearing is in 6th gear I suppose.'

My 1.2T turns over at about 2200 rpm at an indicated 70 mph, so about 32 mph/1000 revs given that I think the speedo over-reads about 2 mph. The turbo engine is strong enough that there is no need to change down from 6th for any 'normal' motorway/dual carriageway gradient (using VPower, for what it's worth).

My experience is that it gives typically 49-point-something mpg on a motorway trip in reasonable weather; my best was a shade over 52 mpg for a 200-mile journey from Leicestershire to East Sussex via M40, M25, M23, and A27. You'll have gathered that I'm a happy punter with no regrets about not paying the premium for a hybrid, although I have no doubt that the hybrid has its strengths in some circumstances.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - AD251

'I've often wondered whether the 1.2T would be better fuel economy wise on the motorway than the hybrid, depends what the gearing is in 6th gear I suppose.'

On long motorway trips (50 miles plus) I generally get 45-50mpg in a 2017 RAV4 2.5 Hybrid. I would therefore expect at least 55mpg from an Auris hybrid and I believe many report around 60mpg. However the catalytic convertor theft issue on Auris Hybrids would put me off and I would go for the 1.2T; to be fair I would expect the 1.2T to be a more fun car to drive than the hybrid.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - SLO76
Much depends on what’s available locally, I wouldn’t walk past a good example of either but I’d also include the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv too. The 3 is a better drive and just as reliable and despite the larger engine. There’s nothing to fear from the Auris or the Mazda as long as you avoid diesels but the Mazda is the better car if you enjoy driving.

Driving for me is simply A to B. Enjoyment difficult with traffic levels and some eccentric drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - Xileno

I'm sure the Toyota is a fine car but the fact they seem high on the low-life list of cars to steal the cat from would put me off.

Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - Nezza
I bought an Auris hybrid 2015 in Nov 2020 to use as my daily commute vehicle. I’m doing a 45 mile journey each way with about 15 mile on 30 mph roads and the rest motorway. I average 60mpg, doing 60mph on motorway or 50-55mpg doing 70. The best I have managed is 78mpg but this was driving very steady and using the hybrid to max potential on the 30mph roads. I find the car very capable and underrated. It also has free road tax. I have posted previously about it on here which you may have already read.
The only drawbacks I have found is the engine appears to rev noisily with no acceleration when pushing hard however you do actually progress more than you realise. The model changed mid way through 2015 with a slight front change (see fog lights for difference), and a different entertainment system. Mine is the older one and the touch screen could be more responsive. The face lift also gets a spare wheel whereas the pre face lift does not. Overall a good car and my only concern is the theft of the catalytic converter which I will get a Catloc fitted.
Auris - Toyota petrol or hybrid - JE

It sounds like the 1.2T has a decently tall 6th gear, but the hybrid will generally better 49-52mpg on motorway, I would say 53-54mpg is an average on motorways at 70. It can be higher than that, but can also be a lot lower, heading up to Scotland up the M6/M74 and beyond, I would say 48mpg is more realistic at 70. Best measured brim to brim 64.4mpg (heading to East Anglia mid summer, ie flat and warm, and no motorways), worst measured brim to brim 46.9mpg (heading to Scotland mid winter, ie hilly and cold).

The touch screen on the facelifted version is still not the most responsive system, it's Ok though and serves.