What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - Trilogy.

Apparently the Corsa is as British as sausage and mash. Suggest the writer learns a bit about what they're writing before an article goes live, otherwise get it checked by someone who does.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/car-market-1/2021-04/top...9

Surprised to see the Focus isn't in the 10. A Mercedes reaches number 3 while an American is number 4.

Edited by Xileno on 14/04/2021 at 20:39

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - Engineer Andy

I'm not that surprised about the current Focus - I think that the styling is poor, and yet the Golf still is in the top 10, despite the current version also not looking good or as well styled as its predecessor. TBH, I've not liked the Focus since the replacement of the mk2.

I suspect that Teslas are now the 'new Toyota Prius' for the well-off - a hip 'n' terndy car to have to virtue-signal how caring for the environment you are, whilst owning other more polluting vehicles and going on multiple worldwide flights per year, etc, etc.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - Lee Power

The Corsa is just a poorly designed cheap 208 in disguise.

I've mentioned before all the design issues I found in the near 3 weeks I had use of a new Corsa.

I've had a couple as loan vehicles while they work on my 308 - it goes in for service in a couple of weeks so I'll get another Corsa loan vehicle - its transport, but I'd never want to own one.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - S40 Man

The Corsa is just a poorly designed cheap 208 in disguise.

I've mentioned before all the design issues I found in the near 3 weeks I had use of a new Corsa.

I've had a couple as loan vehicles while they work on my 308 - it goes in for service in a couple of weeks so I'll get another Corsa loan vehicle - its transport, but I'd never want to own one.

Yes but they are quite a bit cheaper than a Fiesta which seem to be around £17k while the Corsa is around £14.5 k

That's quite a difference for your average non car savvy customer.

I found the same buying my, admittedly, second hand VX Astra. They were a lot cheaper than equivalent makes.

Maybe they are made to a cost which will affect long term ownership.

People on my Astra K Facebook group who have borrowed a Corsa say they are a bit cheap and nasty.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - DavidGlos
...bit of thread drift here:

S40 man - how are you getting on with the Astra? Is it just exceptional value compared to a Focus, Golf etc or are there aspects of living with it longer term which are starting to grate?
Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - S40 Man
...bit of thread drift here: S40 man - how are you getting on with the Astra? Is it just exceptional value compared to a Focus, Golf etc or are there aspects of living with it longer term which are starting to grate?

Mine is the 1.6 turbo with 200 BHP. It's been very reliable. My mine gripe is Android Auto doesn't work, (apple car play is ok).

I paid £8700 for it in Sep 19 and they still seem around that price at dealers now. I don't think that affects anything but it is quite pleasing anyway.

It's quite nippy and also has good in gear torque. Reliability has been good so far, but it's only 4 years old. I get an indicated 43 mpg on mixed driving, but always seems optimistic by 3 or 4 mpg.

It's got lane departure which I very rarely use and doesn't seem to do anything until you are nearly over the line in the road. Collision assist can go off randomly but lowers insurance premium.

I have had 2 small bumps one my fault on not my fault, neither of which you can blame the car for.

So far it's been very good, decent if not exceptional to drive, interior is good with more space than MK3 focus in the boot and the back. Everything works ok and they are a lot cheaper than competitiors. If that's due to badge snobbery I don't care, if it's for to a tangible reason I haven't found it yet.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - corax
It's quite nippy and also has good in gear torque.

So far it's been very good, decent if not exceptional to drive,

Funny how a car with 200bhp can be described thus, yet a few years ago Sierra Cosworths and their ilk were putting out roughly the same amount of horsepower and were a hoot to drive. That's weight gain for you I suppose.

No criticism, just an observation.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - Andrew-T

<< Maybe they are made to a cost which will affect long term ownership. >>

With so much sharing of platforms and many other parts these days, how much 'making to a cost' can be done ? Other than putting it together somewhere with much lower labour cost ?

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - badbusdriver

It's quite nippy and also has good in gear torque.

So far it's been very good, decent if not exceptional to drive,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how a car with 200bhp can be described thus, yet a few years ago Sierra Cosworths and their ilk were putting out roughly the same amount of horsepower and were a hoot to drive. That's weight gain for you I suppose.

No criticism, just an observation.

Not really about weight gain as there isn't actually that much in it, 70kg or so. More about performance expectations now vs then, along with the cars position and purpose within the range.

The Sierra RS Cosworth was at the top of the tree in terms of power and performance at the time. It was raw and visceral, appropriate for its 'touring car for the road' billing, plus it was rear wheel drive. If you think about how, in its day, the Cossie would have been a rival for the original BMW M3, and about where the M3 sits now performance wise, compared to a hot hatch!.

The Astra K in this case, might be the fastest current Astra, but only because they didn't introduce a 'full fat' performance version to replace the (3 door only) 280bhp VXR Astra J. In todays hot hatch hierarchy, 200bhp would be considered 'warm' at best. So while it may well drive and handle nicely enough, it is not designed to be the kind of car you get up early on a Sunday morning just to have blast along your favourite country road.

Associate Editor wrote this article. Top 10. Corsa - skidpan

In todays hot hatch hierarchy, 200bhp would be considered 'warm' at best. So while it may well drive and handle nicely enough, it is not designed to be the kind of car you get up early on a Sunday morning just to have blast along your favourite country road.

Totally crazy. When I had the XR3i and the 2 Golf GTi's (between 1984 and 1996) they were considered hot hatches (even though the XR3i was carp) with about 112 bhp. The "warm" hatch of the day was the likes of the XR2 with about 20 bhp less and the Nova SR with a bit less than that.

Compared to the normal versions you certainly got a better driving experience.

But anyone who feels that 200 bhp is leaving them short changed needs a reality check. My Leon 1.4 TSi SE was without a doubt quicker than the GTi's (especially in mid range performance) and it did not leave me feeling short changed, it was a great balance between performance and stupidity.

I could afford the likes of a Civic Type R or BMW M135i both have which have north of 300 bhp buy why do I need one, where would I use it? Would probably get more pleasure driving to Cadwell on a Sunday morning in the 1.0 TSi Fabia enjoying its full 110 PS at every available opportunity.