What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - MM1
I am looking at purchasing a BMW 530i which is a petrol BMW.
I have seen the V5 and everything adds up.
However when entering the registration into DVLA‘s car checker it says that the vehicle is a diesel model.
Has anyone come across this before and how do I go about rectifying it?
BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - Engineer Andy

You may want to check to see if the car has been cloned and could be a former write off/cut 'n' shut, perferably by checking to see if the VIN matches the DVLA records and there's no errant paint mismatches around the car (engine bay, boot [under the floor carpet], etc).

If that matches up, it may be worth (if you can) finding out who first sold the car (if the current seller is not the first owner), especially if it is an import - whether a grey import or just from an (Rh*) EU country. You may need to check with BMW themselves via the VIN.

There can be errors - for instance my Mazda3 was imported from Cyprus (unused hire car) and sold to me (as new) via Motorpoint in 2006, but I only noticed much later on that the colour was listed as grey and not silver.

A minor mistake, but still. All I needed to do was contact the DVLA, given them all the details, including proof (photos in my case) and voila, they sent me a corrected V5 free of charge in a couple of weeks. What to do as regards V5 errors/omissions can be found on the V5 document itself as well as on the DVLA website.

Thanks for that info.

I have the RAC doing their top vehicle inspection on it next week before I buy which will reveal any of those concerns. It’s a rare model which was apparently made for the Japanese market.

I’ll get the vin and speak to a BMW main dealer too.

Really helpful so far thanks!

Edited by matt mcdonough on 14/04/2021 at 20:06

BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - sammy1
Thanks for that info. I have the RAC doing their top vehicle inspection on it next week before I buy which will reveal any of those concerns. It’s a rare model which was apparently made for the Japanese market. I’ll get the vin and speak to a BMW main dealer too. Really helpful so far thanks!

You do not say how long the car has been in the UK or if it even left. If made for the Japanese market you need to make sure that the computer I drive sat nav radio etc has been changed to UK

BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - skidpan

I’ll get the vin and speak to a BMW main dealer too.

If its an obscure car with an uncertain history a UK BMW may be unable or unwilling to help.

Why not look for a proper UK car with good history. It could be far cheaper in the long term being easier to sell on.

BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - Engineer Andy
Thanks for that info. I have the RAC doing their top vehicle inspection on it next week before I buy which will reveal any of those concerns. It’s a rare model which was apparently made for the Japanese market. I’ll get the vin and speak to a BMW main dealer too. Really helpful so far thanks!

Given how many BMWs are about in the UK (it's a far bigger market than Japan for them), I wouldn't be bothered with a grey import (different to actual rare Japanese cars that were never sold in the UK/EU), and just find a decent one made for and sold in the UK. It will also be cheaper to insure as well.

I've got to the bottom of this and it's not as exciting as first thought...

Spoke to BMW, gave them the VIN. It's a UK model.

The last MOT engineer input the fuel incorrectly and the details were from the last MOT, NOT the DVLA records.

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys.

BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - elekie&a/c doctor
Something doesn’t add up here . When the mot tester enters the vin or registration number, the vosa database automatically enters whether it’s Petrol or diesel .
BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - skidpan
Something doesn’t add up here . When the mot tester enters the vin or registration number, the vosa database automatically enters whether it’s Petrol or diesel .

Exactly. And its the DVLA info that determines the emissions needed for a pass. The tester cannot change that.

BMW 5 Series - DVLA fuel type incorrect verses V5 - sammy1

I agree, the DVLA would not allow a MOT station to corrupt its database.

If you are interested in a 5 series the 3litre is more desirable and a more relaxed drive than the 2litre in a fairly heavy car. Whatever try to seek out one with as many extras as you think practical and the later models have the BMW service record in the I drive. Variable damper control is worth having There seem to be more hybrid 530e around than the 530i. There are two potential water leaks to be aware of, failed condensation barrier in the rear doors and the yellow grommit that blanks the steering column on right hand drive so UK passenger side. Rainwater can end up in the rear passenger footwells for both.