What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - Adrian BB
Hi all I ve purchased an approved used Hyundai Tucson GO 2018 with 17300 miles on the dash and after having the car for 4 months and 1800 miles input the car went in limp mode and the error code was P0731 or so (AA guy done the test) the gear sensor wasn t aware anymore when to go in first gear.. limp mode.. the car was towed in and after a few days of waiting game I ve called the dealrship for an update and the service op said that the clutch wheel bearing is gone and they ve tried something but wasn t working and now they re waiting for the part to arrive. From day one of my ownership the car on first start(cold start) had a horrible judder especially if parked on a ramp or something like this and then was gone. I know about the Dct or dsg gearboxes and know that clutch slipping or crawling in traffic won t make any good to the gearbox but still.. after 1800 miles drove in to fail like this it makes wonder how things will get from now on. Thanks for reading. All the best. A

Edited by Adrian BB on 13/04/2021 at 12:26

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - daveyjp

You've had it four months, someone else had it almost 3 years and only did 5,500 a year in it. Lots of opportunity for clutch abuse from an owner who was none the wiser.

Keep us updated.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - _

You've had it four months, someone else had it almost 3 years and only did 5,500 a year in it. Lots of opportunity for clutch abuse from an owner who was none the wiser.

Keep us updated.

Ex Motability?

Just a suggestion, look on the Hyundai and Kia forums, respectively Tucson and Sportage.

If it is being cured under warranty, don't worry.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - badbusdriver

Assuming the car has full dealer history it should still have a couple of years left of the 5 year Hyundai warranty. So you shouldn't have any situation where you are being expected to make a contribution towards any bill. My advice is that once the problem is fixed, get rid of the car.

If you need an auto, replace it with something which has a torque converter gearbox.

Thanks but as said I ve just bought it after having two Audi s. A6 c6 went in for a engine malfunction and stayed for ever back to the dealearship as the bill for to gix the car was huge so no one wanted to pay that, an A4 b8 that had a turbo fail at 53000 miles after bought it second hand with 47500 from Audi (dpf blow back messed up the core of the turbo) so basically these days is a general thing on cars. I ve said to my wife that Hyundai is well know for being a reliable brand but even so things can go wrong(wife s to blame for not being able to drive a manual) ?? I hope it s going to be fixed and ok from now on. Yes still under warranty but it was a proper fight to get a replacement vehicle from all the parties involved(AA, Hyunday dealer,Hyundai UK) and the car is broken since Good Friday.
Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - Rerepo

If you are traffic a lot and want an auto then forget DSG and DCT. Get a Toyota hybrid with their eCVT. Its extremely reliable. Just about everybody I speak to who has a DSG or DCT seems to have some kind of trouble with it.

When your Hyundai is fixed sell it ASAP.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - skidpan

Assuming the car has full dealer history it should still have a couple of years left of the 5 year Hyundai warranty.

Like all warranties, Hyundai (and their sister Kia) exclude clutches since they are considered wearing parts (unless a manufacturing defect can be proven). As said above, a numpty driver can destroy a clutch in no time at all but surely in a DCT since the driver has no input that should not be an issue.

Edited by skidpan on 13/04/2021 at 16:59

It is still possible on automated manuals to ride the clutch and wreck it. Generally done by those too lazy to apply the handbrake on hills.

It is still possible on automated manuals to ride the clutch and wreck it. Generally done by those too lazy to apply the handbrake on hills.

Considering there is no clutch pedal its going to be difficult.

But no doubt there is a way for the truly stupid to manage this. Perhaps having the car stationary but under power with the brake on to prevent it moving is the perfect solution and the way to get a Darwin Award.

No clutch pedal, but a clutch activated by the accelerator. As power rises the clutch bites, just as in a manual. In some auto manuals such as early smarts the car wouldn't creep and you had to apply power, in others such as DSG it will creep.

It was therefore possible in a DSG to arrive at a hill, apply no power and there was enough bite to stop the vehicle rolling back, or on steeper hills apply power to stop roll back, but in reality the clutch was slipping. Audis had an overheated clutch warning to warn of this issue.

Auto handbrakes may have reduced this to some extent, but riding the clutch is still possible.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - galileo

Assuming the car has full dealer history it should still have a couple of years left of the 5 year Hyundai warranty.

Like all warranties, Hyundai (and their sister Kia) exclude clutches since they are considered wearing parts ((unless a manufacturing defect can be proven). As said above, a numpty driver can destroy a clutch in no time at all but surely in a DCT since the driver has no input that should not be an issue.

Hyundai warrant clutch discs (as in manuals) for 2 years / 60,000 miles (also brake friction linings for 2 years/20,000 miles.

Kia warranty covers maintenance items such as clutches, brake linings etc for 2 years regardless of mileage.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - badbusdriver

Hyundai warrant clutch discs (as in manuals) for 2 years / 60,000 miles (also brake friction linings for 2 years/20,000 miles.

Kia warranty covers maintenance items such as clutches, brake linings etc for 2 years regardless of mileage.

Surely that only applies to a manual though?. As has been said, the driver has no control over the two clutches in the DCT, indeed many drivers will be completely oblivious that there is any clutches involved. As far as they, are (and should) be concerned, it is simply an automatic gearbox. And if that automatic gearbox fails, or a part of it fails, that shouldn't cause the driver or owner to be penalised unless they were proven to be doing something they shouldn't.

Or to put it another way, what is the warranty coverage on a Hyundai auto gearbox?

Done my work guys on what a dct or dsg should do or how to be driven. I went on youtube and watched all videos and John Cadogan plus Engineering Explained dude:) now seriously I knew that the gearbox might be a bit weird but we like it how most of the times works and instructed my wife to stay chill in traffic no sudden manoeuvres as the gearbox might get confused. When on traffic and hill I use manual mode and change the gears on manual and never had an issue. As I said from day one in my ownership After a night on car park first drive was jerky from still to second gear but that was all and nothing else. We like the car it s not an Audi but for the money spent you get a decent vehicle( still after my toy in the skin of a BMW old one on straight six petrol manual)

Edited by Adrian BB on 13/04/2021 at 21:21

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - sammy1

I have owned 2 golf GTIs and now drive an Audi A1 sport with DSG. I have never experienced any problem with the gearboxes and would not contemplate the manual equivalent. You can drive all these cars on the auto and or with sport setting or with the paddles. I have always left the car in drive when queuing. I am always very careful with any auto not to move the selector unless stationary. Sure you may get the occasional jerk but nothing ever violent most of the time it is very smooth responsive and you don't feel the changes

Or to put it another way, what is the warranty coverage on a Hyundai auto gearbox?

A Hyundai auto box will be covered by the 5 year/unlimited mile warranty but the warranty T & C's says clutches are covered for 2 years or 60,000 miles but it does not say if its manual or DCT clutches, from that I would suggest its both.

The problem for the OP is they bought the car used. They have no idea how it was used/treated in its first 3 years and 17,300 miles.

But since its over 2 years old it has no Hyundai warranty thus we are simply arguing about something that does not apply.

Seems to me the OP should have a get out of jail free card. They have owned the car under 6 months thus they have protection under the Consumer Act 2015. The garage has to repair it FOC during that period, if they don't/won't the OP has the right to reject it for a full refund less a reasonable deduction for the use they have had, a few hundred at most.

Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - movilogo

Hyundai DCT problems are well documented in the internet. In the USA, I think their VOSA equivalent forced Hyundai to implement fixes and as of now it should be settled.

Even though Tucson and Sportage are similar cars, Tucson Hyundai suffered lot more DCT problems that Kia. Later years' Tucson models should not be having any more DCT issues.

Now coming to warranty, since DCT clutches are not driver operated it should be covered under warranty. Unlike a manual clutch, DCT clutches are operated by computer so user is not responsible for poorly written software (unless manufacture can prove driver was negligent and/or misused).

My Kia Ceed is 2014 DCT model and with 54k+ miles it is OK so far (touch wood)

Edited by movilogo on 14/04/2021 at 11:02

Just an update,so they’re going to fix it under warranty and the fault is clutch wheel bearing or bearings I m not sure but of course that the part is delayed for a while so I m so close to two weeks without the car. No one calls me I have to call every day for an update and that s fine but I m not sure how long it s going to take to fix it. Thanks everyone for their input great bunch of people around here

Edited by Adrian BB on 14/04/2021 at 21:39

Just an update,so they’re going to fix it under warranty and the fault is clutch wheel bearing or bearings I m not sure but of course that the part is delayed for a while so I m so close to two weeks without the car. No one calls me I have to call every day for an update and that s fine but I m not sure how long it s going to take to fix it. Thanks everyone for their input great bunch of people around here

The only bearing I am aware of in a clutch assembly is the release bearing and although not 100% certain a DCT must surely have one as well. Since its not considered to be a "wearing part" (unlike the clutch plates) it should indeed be covered by the warranty.

Thanks and I think that s the part broken
Just an update- got the car today they ve replaced the double clutch ensemble and actuator. The clutch was working on 17.8% thickness left. All was done under warranty but the service manager said that the failure of clutch at 19000 miles is very uncommon. Will see. Thanks for reading
Hyundai Tucson - Tucson 2018 DCT problem - Xileno

That's good news - and thanks for coming back with an update.