What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - JJG-m

Hello all,

Was toying around with the idea of an SUV however want to probably save that for when I don't have a purchase limit as I'm moving house!

In the meantime I'm going to go for an estate, with a rough budget of 13K give or take.

Im torn between two vehicles to be honest, a 17/18 plate leon Estate, either 1.8 petrol fr or 2.0 diesel fr, the 190bhp version, or a octavia Vrs similar age maybe a few years younger.

Im really torn for a few reasons, both DSG for me, however the VRS is four wheel drive which I do prefer over the leon front wheel drive, in terms of petrol or diesel I'm not fussed. I cover around 15-20k miles a year, I'd imagine the leon fr 1.8 will sound better than the diesel VRS.

Other than that I'm completely torn, I do lean towards the leon interior surprisingly.

Thoughts?

Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - chris87
Superb 1.5 TSI all the way!
Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - badbusdriver

Not sure I'd be that keen on either of those choices as a DSG, not used anyway. I'm assuming both petrol and diesel would use the more robust 'wet clutch' version, but it would still be nagging away at the back of my mind along with wondering about the driving style of the previous owner or owners.

But, as both share the same petrol and diesel engines, not to mention the gearbox and platform, it really boils down to looks and personal preference, which you are the only person qualified to answer. You say you are leaning towards the Leon interior, but you would like the 4wd which is available on the Skoda, so which would you prioritise?. If you feel you actually need 4wd, then surely that is more important.

Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - JJG-m

To be honest mate, i'm not entirely sure I would need the four wheel drive.

I do live out in the sticks however no off-roading normally not that you really would in a VRS estate, I tow from time to time however my last 3 vehicles have all been four wheel drive so I don't know how I'd feel handling/performance wise moving back to front wheel drive.

What do you think?

Overall I lean towards the leon as I just feel the Octavia interior is really outdated, which I know most would disagree with!

Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - skidpan

We had a 2013 Leon SE hatch 1.4 TSi 140 for almost 4 years and it was excellent. But circumstances changed and we needed something bigger thus the first port of call was the Seat dealer to look at the Leon Estate. We had already noted that the engine choice (1.4 TSi 150) was only available with FR trim and from experience with its sport suspension and 45 profile tyres the ride was a big step back form the SE we owned, but that is personal preference of course, it may be fine for you. But what turned us away was the packaging, it had a huge boot but the rer space was no different to the hatch, the leg room was acceptable but we wanted something that allowed adults to sit more comfortably so we left it at that.

I should also add that the 1.8 TSi was not a popular model. It was an older engine design and because the DSG models had the weaker dry clutch gearbox the torque was limited to 184 lbs, the limit of that box, it was limited on the manuals as well. So although it had more ultimate power, in the rev range where most of us drive for most of the time (idle to about 4000 rpm) it had exactly the same power but drank far more fuel. You can see why Seat sold so few. It was eventually replaced by the much better 2.0 TSi with a wet clutch box but very few of those sold and it was withdrawn from the range.

We have driven 3 Skoda Octavia estates and have really wanted to like the car. Excellent luggage space, good rear space, good spec, good price etc but each one has failed for the same reason, horrendous booming form the back of the car making motorway travel almost painful. One was a manual 1.4 TSi (beam rear suspension), one a DSG 1.4 TSI (beam again) and the third a DSG 2 litre diesel (independent back end), this confirmed it was not the rear suspension etc. Its a complaint that frequently surfaces on the Skoda forum so not just us. Didn't care for the 1.4 TSi - DSG combo but cared for the 2 litre diesel -DSG combo less. It was glacially slow away form the lights and slow to react to the right pedal. If you plan to take this further make sure you get a good long test drive before parting with even a deposit. The one good aspect of the Octavia is the availability of sensible tyres/suspension with a variety of engines making the ride more comfortable. But your preferred VRS will have 40 profile tyres, sport suspension and a rock hard ride. Is that a good idea living out in the sticks.

With regards to the interior both are a bit bland but still good quality, its down to personal preferences.

One estate we tested this time round that we really liked was the Volvo V60. Lots of space, a really nice place to sit, very refined and the 8 speed TC gearbox was a cracker. Not the most economical car (in either petrol or diesel) but way better than the Octavia - but it will cost more. With sensible tyres on most models it had a comfortable ride. Do not confuse it with the earlier V60 which was pretty poor for a Volvo estate.

Now for the wild card, the Skoda Superb. We are on our 2nd and they are great. Space is huge even in the hatch. We originally planned to buy the estate but no need unless you carry big square loads. The 1.4 TSi 150 PS (up to about 2019) is a great engine but I suspect having driven the more recent 1.5 TSi DSG estate it would not make a good pairing, definitely not for us. The diesel may be better but unless the Octavia we drove was a bad one it could still be slow to react etc. Its available with the 2 litre petrol and DSG and we wanted to drive one this time around but its rare, could not find one, if you can it may be the best choice. You can get a 4 x 4 Superb, not sure what engines but again it will be rare. The interior of the Superb is several steps above the Octavia and Leon, I (and many others) would say its comparable to an Audi or VW but that would upset another poster who still thinks those brands are far superior. Since its sold in a different market area all trim levels get a much better spec with many Octavia and Leon options as standard.

Get looking and get driving. But please, do not buy any car on the internet without seeing it, its could end up as a big disappointment and a load of hassle.

Edited by skidpan on 07/04/2021 at 09:19

Skoda Octavia vrs Estate or Leon Fr Estate? - Unsure which to choose - badbusdriver

To be honest mate, i'm not entirely sure I would need the four wheel drive.

I do live out in the sticks however no off-roading normally not that you really would in a VRS estate, I tow from time to time however my last 3 vehicles have all been four wheel drive so I don't know how I'd feel handling/performance wise moving back to front wheel drive.

What do you think?

Overall I lean towards the leon as I just feel the Octavia interior is really outdated, which I know most would disagree with!

Going by what you describe with the towing and living in the sticks, I think I'd be leaning towards 4wd if possible. And because of the towing and the miles, I'd also be leaning towards diesel.

I'd actually be thinking about an SUV were it not for the suspicion, reading between the lines, that you want something a bit more enjoyable to drive?. If that isn't the case, just over £13k is enough to get into, amongst others, 2016 Kia Sportage 2.0 (182 bhp) turbo diesel auto. If you definitely don't want to go for an SUV, are you aware that you do actually get 4wd Leon estates with the DSG box?. Not very common mind, there are only 2 available nationwide on Autotrader (up to £14k, up to 70k miles and no insurance write off's), here is one of them, 202012096913712.