What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - William Arbuckle

Hi there, I've just received a 2017 Citroen Berlingo Multispace, Diesel Automatic. 15k miles.

On doing a short test drive, the one thing that stood out to me were the very obvious gear shifts.

I don't feel the shifts much at all in my previous Ford Focus Petrol Automatic. But the shifts in this diesel van definitely moved me forward in my seat a bit. Mostly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

My question - is this somewhat expected behaviour? I really have very little vehicle knowledge.

Thanks!

-Will

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - daveyjp

Probably an automated manual, rather than a true automatic.

Some are worse than others, but if the clutch or mechatronic units aren't calibrated correctly (or clutch is worn) it can lead to jerkiness.

You would need to drive another to see if yours is normal.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - William Arbuckle

Ah ha, yes it's an automated manual. I didn't know such things existed.

Apparently it's really common in Citroen 'automatics'. Something to get used to as I really like the rest of the car. A little lift off the accelerator on gear changes smooths things out just like on a manual but it's obviously a little trickier to time.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - Metropolis.
If it is an automated manual on a single clutch it will be jerky no matter how well it is calibrated. One thing you can do is ease off the throttle slightly between gear changes which should make for slightly smoother progress. It may also have adaptive values learned from a previous owner which you can have reset usually with a code reader. Whether that would make it better or worse is anyones guess.

Yes thanks, a little lift off works well but trickier to time than a straight up manual.

Either that, or just accelerate reeeeally slowly (:

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - Metropolis.
I suspect BBD may have more input here with his AGS Suzuki, which might do better than the Berlingo. Maybe the torque involved in a diesel exaggerates the jerkiness, it is usually smoother asa passenger sitting in a petrol manual car than it is in a diesel I think because of the more linear power delivery of an n/a petrol.
Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Should there b any lurch on automatic gear shifts? - Rerepo

If you have the option to reject the car then do so! A French automated manual sounds a nightmare. Even the Japs can't get them right. And it won't improve with age...

Seems to be working fine tbh. Just something to get used to.